Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Australia: November Hot Rod drive, Yes it's nearly summer here.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flatoz, Nov 22, 2014.

1. flatoz

flatoz

In the interest of doing something while next to nothing, Wayne ( Peddro ) and I decided to put on a run as such. Very simple - email/text the start location and time and where we're driving to, come along if you can.

Low key, easy and good fun. Anyway, we had a fair few who couldn't make it as its getting to that time of the year, but we got 13 cars and one bike in the end and had a great day wandering though some nice back roads to Whittlesea Victoria, where we stopped and had lunch at the local pub. Then everyone was up to their own devices to make their way home.

Peddro piloted my roadster for the day , on the way home as we both had some time we just reversed the map a little with a few different roads thrown in, and it seemed some don't even exit anymore. Oh well , its a car, asphalt, dirt, grass, what does it matter. No four wheel driving though, anyway, pictures everyone loves pictures soooo. see below.

I will caption where I can.

So at the start, north bound Calder service station

Ben's Roadster and mine behind, with Jeff's T bird.

[​IMG]

Duncan's A coupe

[​IMG]

Tony Eisner's Y powered roadster

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Brett's A roadster

[​IMG]

Cragar's Roadster

[​IMG]

Mick Lee's Pick up

[​IMG]

Swifty's Poly powered coupe, and some 'friends'

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sean's new 57 truck,

[​IMG]

Bob's 40

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Rex's 53 Vicky

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Jeff's T bird

[​IMG]

thommoina33 likes this.
  2. flatoz

flatoz

So we headed off, I didn't get many initial photos, but then not long after we had to stop for a few to catch up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That's Martin on his every day shovelhead.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then it was time to do what we all love doing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's not fuzzy , that's some rain spots on the windscreen.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pete ( striper ) joined in at Wallan for the trip.

[​IMG]

Then we arrived at Whittlesea for lunch.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

we only lost one senior citizen, had to send out a search party - didn't we dad...

[​IMG]

but that's not the end...

Last edited: Nov 24, 2014
  3. qzjrd5

qzjrd5
    from Troy, MI

Looks like an awesome time man! Got some snow here in MI. Hope your family and all the '32's are doing well!

4. buy your dad a hat for Christmas....

5. flatoz

flatoz

So while the others made beeline's for home, Peddro and I didn't. As neither of us was on a schedule we decided to partly back track our route, so we set off with Peddro chauffeuring. It was a great trip about 2 hours worth of, 'do we take this road?' 'why not!' ended up that some of the roads on google maps, only seem to exist on google maps. Oh well. we got there in the end. if was a warm afternoo/evening, in an open hot rod on all but deserted county back roads, perfect.

Google maps says this is a road, well it's mowed so ok, why not. sort of looks like a road on the right there.

[​IMG]

then it stopped...

[​IMG]

So custer said on we go! I'm standing up when I took the photo so you can see the grass is getting a bit high, but it's green so less fire risk.

[​IMG]

and we did.

luckily we didn't have to drive through it too far

[​IMG]

back on the paved road.

[​IMG]

for about 2 miles...

then a personal fav of mine, dirt.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These are just some road shots, the time of day, colour of the sky and grass etc, seemed cool.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

some Val's

[​IMG]

I like the colours in this one.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last stop, the Clarkefield Coach and Horses Inn for refreshments.

[​IMG]

Home and tucked up after a days work.

[​IMG]

Again, thanks those that made the day and came along, it was great to get out and enjoy the cars, the weather ended up being perfect for roadster drivers as it was mostly overcast and we didn't cook.

see you at the next one.

thommoina33 and Jimmy B like this.
  6. flatoz

flatoz

Hi Mike, I was just looking over the photos of when you pulled the Tudor out last night, there was snow on the ground then too! I will send you some update photos as I'm on leave and working hard to finally!! get it done.

He's a coupe driver...

7. Great photo(the colours one), the field trip is a creative touch which will be a talking point over a few beers I imagine. Congrats to all involved and great to see hot rodding alive.
    Cheers,
    Drewfus

8. swifty

swifty

Thanks for the ride Brett.
    Corey you can take that rego label off your windshield now.

9. Thanks for the coverage Corey. You guys need to learn to smile though.;)

Blokes I know up here do a monthly drive to a country pub location for lunch, always a different destination, but I've never been because they do it on a Thursday and surprisingly enough, I'm working!

10. brady1929

brady1929

It's beautiful there. Thanks for the pics.

11. ken1939

ken1939

Super pics and a great story. I am counting the days down to something in North America known as GroundHog Day, 70 days and counting till we get a tad closer to spring. Looked like you had the threat of bad weather in the form of rain and got a few sprinkles, but overall it looked nice and dry. Another horrible day in Victoria eh? :)
    These pics are what makes those winter shed days worth it!

12. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Great story, especially liked the 'grass road'. Here in the U.S., my bro and I always take the 'road less traveled' on our trips, ya never know what you'll find on them...and if you'd go running with us in the U.S. once, I don't think you'd want to go back home cuz we've been on some awesome dirt roads.

Here's our last trip this past summer: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/the-cadillac-of-travelogues-canada-road-trip.943262/ Nearly 4,000 miles of two-lanes and back roads.

R-

13. superprojoe

superprojoe
    from Illinois

14. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

15. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

Great story and Pictures! Thanks for taking the time to share them with us.

16. Any time Swifty.

I'd like to thank the Leyland Brothers... ooops I mean Corey and Wayne for organizing the run and inviting a great bunch of people along. The afternoon out that side of town looked a lot more roadster friendly than the heat we drove into! This was the biggest run in along time for my old jalopy and it did well considering its been apart in some form on and off for the last two months. Only damage being a broken exhaust hanger and fuel reg.

Anyway here's some more pics in a very random order...
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

17. striper

striper

Hey Corey, it's Striper...only one "P".....although...

Thanks for the pics, and the invitation.

Spoggie likes this.
  18. a lot of nice cars,and I love the Deuces but this yellow 57 is beautiful. HRP

[​IMG]

Spoggie likes this.
  19. Looks like I missed another good one.

20. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

What are the hub caps on Ben's black 32 roadster?? Nice pictures by the way...

21. Thanks for everyone coming along. It was pretty short notice, so I was rapt that a dozen or so vehicles turned up to spend the morning out with us.

22. Given I was pressed into driving duties for the day I didn't take many photos on the road...so this is pretty much it from me!

Man, what a great day.

Attached Files:

23. Nice pix fellas; bummer I could'nt make it, looks like a good time was had by all.

24. Great pics guys.....looking fwd to getting my rides out this summer finally......!

25. Aushotrods

Aushotrods

thanks for the invite wayne + corey, had a great day!

26. flatoz

flatoz

Thanks again all for coming.

The caps are 39 merc I think, Ben used a merc for a few things on his roadster.

We'll let you know when we do it again, will be next year.

At the moment I'm now impatiently awaiting the Reliability Run in January

27. tmf

tmf

Looks like a good day. Nice pics Corey

At the moment I'm now impatiently awaiting the Reliability Run in January. Yes should be another good one.

Nice beard Pedro at first glance i thought who is that masked man, then i recognised the hat.

28. scotti32

scotti32

Looks like fun.

29. 63Compact

63Compact

Thanks for the pics guys looks like it was fun. I will make it one year.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

30. pontman

pontman

Great set of pictures, some real nice Hot Rods. What the deal with the Riv? It's still lefthand drive. I thought all cars had to be righthand drive?