Register now to get rid of these ads!

History My Favorite late 50s Family Wagons

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Nov 20, 2014.

1. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber submitted a new blog post:

My Favorite late 50s Family Wagons

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

2. I still love this wagon. HRP

[​IMG]

Lone Star Mopar and jakespeed63 like this.
  3. flamingokid

flamingokid

Even as a teenager I liked wagons .I guess it was the purpose built aspect and the fact that you could haul lots of beer,friends,or camping gear that helped the attraction.The wagons of yesteryear,even the late 60s and early 70s,had a nice style to them.I'm always on the look out for a nice wagon.

4. Rolleiflex

Rolleiflex

I think it's interesting to note that the '59 Pontiac and Chevy wagons have nearly the same swept back roof pillar as the Olds and Buick hardtop wagons from '57-'58. Would love to see someone convert one of '59 Pontiac/Chevy wagons into a hardtop.

5. belair

belair

Didn't Mopar make a 4 door hard top wagon? The Olds and Buicks are magnificent.

6. carguy699

carguy699

yes mopar made hardtop Chrysler wagons from 1960 to 1964 and dodge had them in 1960 to 1961 in the polara series. the may also have had them to 1964 in the 880 series but I am not clear on that. the 1960 polara ht wagon is a magnificent looking car-up there with the nomads and safari wagons looks wise!!!
    jim

7. belair

belair

I wonder if 4 door hardtop doors would be an easy bolt-on? Are they the same length, is the A pillar the same? Could you use sedan vent windows on hardtop doors to get that part right? A cool idea, Rolleiflex. Maybe someone will try it. I remember a (Kenny Youngblood?) imagining of a 61 2 door hardtop Nomad.

8. flatford8

flatford8
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Lyman,ME.

My father had a '60 Chevy and a mid-60's Ford. Nothing kustom just transportation for the family. I remember he took the power steering belt off the Chevy because it steered too easy.......said he couldn't feel the road....I don't know if he was nuts or just real man.....Mark

9. mgbtc

mgbtc

My parents had a number of wagons, my personal favorite being their 58 Pontiac Safari and then their 60 Chrysler Wagon

10. All great examples Jay.

As the family wagon through the 70's became the 80's-up minivan, I am positive that 30-50 years from now nobody will be talking about the design features of minivans.

11. KevKo

KevKo
    from Motown

I am an only child. Growing up my Dad always had hardtops or convertibles. But I think wagons are cool. On the other hand, my wife is child number 10 out of 11. She hates station wagons. Probably because she was always in the backwards facing rear most seat.

12. 270ci

270ci

Saw this one at the Buick Nationals recently in Portland. Stunning car!

57Cab.JPG

jakespeed63 likes this.
  13. See The USA in Your Chevrolet!

14. I too have a thing for them but now don't have any. I had a 59 4 door chevy wagon that had to go to a new home when I started my business. It wasn't much and needed a new everything, but I still really liked it. I tried to buy a 57 plymouth suburban a long time ago out of a tree row, it was missing one back side glass and I couldn't find one at the time so had to pass on it. I also found a 55 pontiac wagon that I wanted, didn't have enough cash to buy it then, still want one of those.
    The wife does not like them at all so with all the others I have in the works it is not top of the list to look for another one. If one finds me on the right day though I'll make that decision then.

15. [​IMG][​IMG]

I am a dyed in the wool GM guy - always have been, but IF someone was to give me one of these, I think I could see myself driving the wheels off either of them

jakespeed63 and HEMI32 like this.
  16. Sounds like your preaching to the choir.
    upload_2014-11-20_12-34-40.png

Attached Files:

17. 7car7

7car7
    from Washington

Probably a bit off topic, being in the 60's, but a favorite of mine is the Studebaker Wagonaire. Retractable rear roof. Not nearly as pretty as my true faves, the 50's 4 door hardtops already mentioned, but still cool.

[​IMG]

jakespeed63 likes this.
  18. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

We had two station wagons growing up (six kids in my family, I was number 5): A '59 Vauxhall Victor Estate (try getting 8 people into one of those) and then, my favorite car growing up, a yellow and white '58 Ford Country Sedan. Lots of fond memories of vacations in that one!

19. jroberts

jroberts

Those orginial wagons in this thread are beautiful, but you knew I had to throw a Studebaker (or two) into the mix. I love '55's and along with the 2 Conestoga wagon I drool every time I see one.

[​IMG]

jakespeed63 likes this.
  20. Iron Dog

Iron Dog
    from Minnesota

My dad was a station wagon guy. He had a bunch, my favorite was a couple of early 60 Pontiac 9 passengers. Always maroon, maroon interiors. I loved sitting backwards in the back and running the power tailgate window up and down.

21. I took my 56 buick wagon to the post office and then sat in line at Walgreens for about 5 minutes then as I was driving off she conked out.I ran the battery down trying to start her.The manger had to come out and we had to push that monster out of the way.She had spark and fuel??? She was idiling kind of fast though.I had to call my wifes kid to jump start me .She started after about 10 minutes.Thats the 2nd time she done that. I just replaced the points and condenser and coil .I wonder if that damn regulater is giving me problems again ?Got it it home though. Bruce.

22. Bluestripe67

Bluestripe67
    from Maryland

I recall growing up we had a '58 Dodge gray/silver wagon, a '62 Dodge dark brown wagon, and a '65 Dodge cream w/wood grain siding wagon. Carried all and everything including the deer dad got in season. I have carried on with a '89 Mercedes white E300 wagon and now a '01 Mercedes E320 4-Matic wagon. Carries it all!

23. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

I love my beater '57 Plymouth. :)

[​IMG]

24. retromotors

retromotors

[​IMG]

Here ya go ....!

jakespeed63 likes this.
  25. If it has a long roof I like it.......end of story.

7car7 likes this.
  26. seatex

seatex

Whoppi 2.jpg I know, ewwwww another '57 Chevy....................... but I still love it!

Lone Star Mopar likes this.
  27. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

That Buick is stunningly beautiful!

28. Squablow

Squablow

I think if you can group the '59 Chevy with the Pontiac, then you should be able to group the DeSoto Shopper in with the 57/58 Plymouth. Even the name is brilliant!

29. Toymont

Toymont
    from Montana

My parents always had Studebaker wagons when I grew up, so I am partial to them, but I also have a soft spot for the Mopars.

30. Ramblur

Ramblur

40 year longroofer and now have three including the original. Hell Yeah![​IMG]

jakespeed63 likes this.