Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects CA Title/Registration question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by djkram650, Nov 18, 2014.

1. djkram650

djkram650

Hi everyone,
    I've searched but haven't found an answer maybe you guys could help me. I purchased a 1950 Cadillac Series 62 sedan not running pretty much just a rolling car. Bought it with Bill of Sale only. I checked with DMV and the VIN is not on record anymore. However the guy I bought the car from recently found the title and sent it to me. He never transferred it to his name because it was supposed to be a donor vehicle for his project.
    Can I still use this title to transfer it to my name and register as non-op? or will it need the person thats on the title to process this. unfortunately we can no longer contact this person.
    I just wanted the vehicle titled to my name before I start putting more money on it just to be in the safe side plus i'm not sure if I have to pay back fees etc which I rather not. If you guys have any suggestion on how to go about having to title this vehicle under my name I would really appreciate it.

Thanks for your input in advance.

2. Special Ed

Special Ed

Are you a member of AAA? They can walk you through the process (as well as the DMV, just without the wait). You'll be asked to fill out a form called "Statement of Facts", listing the same things you just did. Take every piece of paper that you have on the vehicle, and it will be easy. I promise.

3. djkram650

djkram650

unfortunately not. I do have the forms etc.

4. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

Was the 'new' title signed? and dated? Well DMV does not look well to vehicles that have titles dated and not registered, you may get hit with fees from date on title to current. No date, but with sig? You are better off,, date it just before you take it to DMV and if the sale price is less than $500.00 you don't need a Bill of Sale. You might have to fill out a statement of facts. Truly you are better off without that title, keep it and frame it. Unlike some Govt offices DMV gets confused with too much paperwork. If it is out of the system, tell the DMV you had a title you lost and they will have you fill out a lost title and a statement of facts, but you will have to have the VIN verified which is tough with a roller. I usually plan to take the vehicles to the AAA or DMV the day I pick it up having had started the paperwork before hand. California wants your Rego money.
    And forms are available on line,,CADMV.org, if I remember right.

5. $um Fun

$um Fun
    from Nor Cal

If its been out of the system you will need the VIN verified bye either the DMV or CHP or a company that verifies the VIN. I just went through this and its easy. If you want send me a PM and I can give you the name an number of the guy that verified VIN. He takes all the paperwork and brigs you back the registration. Depending on which side of the bay you are in he can do it in 24hrs.

6. kleinbike

kleinbike
    from Nor Cal

^^^This^^^
    It's very easy to do. I can also give you the name of a VIN verifier who's in the North Bay, but will travel to you if need be. He takes care of all the paperwork. Sadly, it can no longer be done this way with motorcycles. They must go through the CHP. Bastards. (Still easy to do.)

7. ^^^ This, and the one above it. If it is out of the system, I'd forget the title and start new with a statement of facts and vin verification. Keep it simple

8. Devin

Devin
    from Napa, CA

I had good luck with Donna Leek's professional registration service. 530-320-5708.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

9. If it's out of the system and you have the pink slip, I'd submit an application for duplicate pink indicating you were the last registered owner and lost the pink. No one will ever show up with the original as it's in your possession. Also, check the laws regarding vintage/antique/street rod/etc cars being exempt from back fees if not non-opped. I let my '34 go for 20 years without doing a non-op. All I had to do was submit a statement of facts and a certificate of non operation (plus get the VIN inspected.) Depending on where you are, sometimes it's easier to get a CHP officer to inspect the VIN rather than some Bi***y DMV woman who doesn't want to get dirt on her finger.

10. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

contact Donna, as Devin said. even if you had AAA this is not the type of transfers that they handle. setting an appointment at DMV speeds things up rather than just standing in line.

11. Special Ed

Special Ed

I don't know where "Rodsville" is, but AAA in my particular area (Southern California) handles EVERY type of vehicle transfer, and they do vin verifications onsite as well, all in one quick visit ...

12. nice Cali thread guys....thanks...

Special Ed likes this.
  13. djkram650

djkram650

These are great info! Thank you!

14. 327Eric

327Eric

X2 use Donna Leek . just did a 67 ElCamino that was last registered in 86. Very painless. I can navigate the DMV just fine, but hiring Donna was a godsend. The car sold before the title arrived.

15. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

No.

In California, vehicles over 25-years-old, and of historic interest, are not subject to back fees.

They are not subject to non-op rules.

16. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

That is true, if you get a DMV person that knows the system beyond a 2014 Honda. I had them question a 1956 Ford Truck saying 'its only a truck'. And the non-op rules have changed, I had to non-op my 1932 Plymouth that we are building, once we had good title and plates. I wouldn't play the non-op game unless you bought a vehicle with a current non-op, and he doesn't.

17. oldpl8s

oldpl8s

DMV workers are consistently inconsistent. They like to make up the rules as they go along and will argue with you for spite.

evolution.jpg

PunkAssGearhead88 likes this.
  18. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yup.

I was just at the DMV this morning. They refused this strategy, all the way up to the manager.

I was trying to re-up a vintage bike I resurrected. Expired reg, title in hand.

I was told that they are no longer interpreting the law the way that they have been in the past, and that it was to gather more revenue for the State.

Jerks. I just paid up.