Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Dodge This - 1939 Dodge Southeast Gasser Build

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Dog_Patch, Aug 12, 2014.

1. hog mtn dave

hog mtn dave

Is Bytner doing your cage?

2. Yeah. Is that ok ? ;)

Last edited: Nov 18, 2014
  3. hog mtn dave

hog mtn dave

Bytner updated the Dixie Flyer dragster chassis we raced back in the late 90's. He also did Terry's cage, re-backhalfed the car and did the aluminum interior panels. The quality of his work is top notch, but be very specific about what you want done. I expect that's a good idea no matter where you go.

4. jt306

jt306

I know how hard I drive it. I have broke just about everything on the car at least once.

5. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Hog Mtn. Dave: I don't want to hijack Tony's thread, but a quick question: If and when I decide to put a simple hoop bar (with diagonal braces) in BGII, my hiboy roadster, which I think you've seen at a couple of events, would this be a guy to talk to?

6. Ha Ha Ha, you got my stealthy hint after all! Man I'm getting prouder of you by the moment. I kept seeing all that plate steel here, plate steel there, and thinking here we go again, a new build going backwards on each length of welding wire/rod.

7. Stopped in at Bytner's shop on the way home and laid some cash on him for the chromoly. He has a nice shop - clean and professional. I think you are correct about being specific, I think in his mind he was thinking Pro Mod. He wants some pics of what I am thinking. DOM - he could do a bar for you no sweat, but man that's a haul from your place.

8. Mac30

Mac30
    1. S.F.C.C.

Damn!! This is taking shape fast! Looks great!

9. hog mtn dave

hog mtn dave

Pics are a good idea. He may know about Quains Willys already but that build thread should sure help.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

10. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Oh, I guess I'm confused. I thought Bytner was the guy 10 mins. from your house! Where is he?

11. Cabbage

Cabbage
    1. S.F.C.C.

He is 10 min from Tony but thats a haul for You! Right off exit 15 on 400 couple exits north of me

12. Danny G

Danny G

Whats the difference in weight between chrome moly and carbon steel?

13. I'd say a good bit. Look at the older bicycle frames compared to the new ones. Way lighter.

14. tylercrawford

tylercrawford
    from Buford, GA
    1. S.F.C.C.

At the same dimensions, the material weighs the same (.284lbs/in^3 density)

The added strength of 4130 over 1010 allows you to run a thinner sidewall which is where the weight savings comes from. Typically most chromoly cages are done in .065 or .083" wall whereas mild is usually specified at .125" wall

Legendlives and loudbang like this.
  15. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Back in the Hudson Hornet days on the NASCAR circuit, one driver, and I'm almost cetain it was Atlanta's own Tim Flock was caught with a balsa wood roll bar!!!!

DallasVW171 likes this.
  16. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

1 5/8".083 weighs 1.367lbs per foot and 1 5/8 .125 weighs 2.003lbs per foot. You usually save 30-40 lbs depending on how big of car your building. The cost for an alloy tube is the same per linear foot too, because tube is sold by the pound.

17. The way I looked at is that you pay for the 50lbs extra on every launch and on every tow to the track. So if the little bit of weight reduction is paid back in clutches and gas money on the highway, then its pay now or pay later. The cage is not something you can swap like aluminum heads :rolleyes: What I wouldn't give for a set of those :cool: that's 80lbs off the top of a big old hemi. If a guy wanted to stay ahead of "Yesterday's Chili" he would need to pull out all the stops. ;)

powrshftr and II FUNNY like this.
  18. powrshftr

powrshftr

Dog:
    This is going to sound stupid,and it doesn't compare to the weight savings of aluminum heads,but did you weigh those Hemi heads before and after porting?You would be shocked how much weight they lose just with a real good port job.

Scott

19. powrshftr

powrshftr

You're right about a lighter car being easier on clutches and ga in the tow rig too.
    It's also easier on universal joints,rearends,axles,driveshafts,etc.

And as Ric says,once you start taking weight out of the car,ounces turn into pounds pretty quick,and next thing you know you've taken 50,100,or 200lbs out of the thing:)

Pretty soon the OCD kicks in,and you end up shortening bolts to save weight,building aluminum brackets for stuff,and splashing moulds off the car to make f/g fenders,hood,doors,etc.

I can't wait to see that car up and runnin'!:)

Scott

loudbang likes this.
  20. Hey! Can you hear that? Its the sound of hole saws eating away some more of "Chili's" steel carcass! You also just sealed the fate of Chili"s original 1/2 thick x 10" long tow bar tabs, I'm cutting those suckers off too, much to Marc's Chagrin. We gotta keep ahead of "Plymouth Rock"!

21. Dang Scott! I already preached on weight reduction to much, you gotta go public with cutting of excess bolt/stud thread too!? Save some pearls man!

22. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Southeast Gassers is basically a traveling and touring group of cars similar in drag racing to The World of Outlaws in Sprint Cars, just SE is drag racing and WoO is oval. Both have their own strict rules they race by.
    WoO once only specified minimum wheelbase, plus safety related. Eventually they had to add minimum weight and max.engine sizes to hold down costs. The crowd sees competition, at whatever the speed is, it's fast enough to please the crowd.
    SE maybe should do some cost saving limits also????

23. Nothing beats the satisfaction of playing with your hole saw on these long winter nights. :) That being true - DOM - I think there is a minimum weight per cubic inch in the SEG. If the car says 327 on the side, that's good enough for the crowd :D

Scott here is the weight on the heads. I gotta call that a wives tale on the porting for pounds. I think Russ said that you could port 40lbs out of a head too . Bull pucky.

This is the stock head in all it original 1957 glory. Clocking in at 75lbs ..... 75_pounds.jpg

Then my Mitch Rish / Digger Don ported head - not ported just once - but twice! Clocking in at .... 73lbs . waa waa waa waa

73_pounds.jpg

AHotRod, GAOldsman and loudbang like this.
  24. Myth.....BUSTED.

loudbang likes this.
  25. powrshftr

powrshftr

My bad Brother...lol

Sometimes I just can't keep my big trap shut....lol

You know,just the heater box,core,hoses,duct work,cables,and control panel in an early Mustang/Falcon will lose you almost 50 lbs!

I still have a few tricks up my sleeve for the Shaker...

Scott

26. powrshftr

powrshftr

There must be a HUGE weight variation between different casting numbers then,because the Mondello ported 354 heads I just sent to California for a guy weighed in at about 8 lbs lighter than an imported set of '528' casting '58 392's I shipped to Ohio the very next week.

I wouldn't post this stuff up if I didn't have a bit of experience with it fellas...:)

Scott

27. For sure the 354 heads and the 392 heads are a lot different. The 354 is the better flowing head. Its probably has less steel. Do you have a 354 head that's unported? That would be apples to apples. I trust your experience here brother - I know you have about 2000 lbs of these heads in your stash :D

28. powrshftr

powrshftr

Lol!
    You crack me up Dog!:)

I do have some 354 industrials that are untouched,I should weigh those babies up....

Scott

29. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

I'll get worried about yall when you start drilling out the center diameter of the bolts to create tubular bolts. Or when you start searching for a source for titanium bolts.
    Both of these were done at one time or another in some racing circles.

30dodgeboy likes this.
  30. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Don't forget the titanium valves and spring retainers. The bee hive springs are lighter and those stamped steel valve covers have to be lighter than those fancy cast aluminum ones. If you are running carbs there are some much lighter than others. Make sure you grind every thing off the block and heads that is not needed.