Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Lakes pictures. P.R.C.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by woodiemike, Sep 19, 2014.

1. Rockerhead

Rockerhead
    Member Emeritus

Russetta did programs. Note the drawing on the cover of the Oct. 10, 1948 program has a drawing of Howard Markham's streamliner. It held the RTA class B Streamliner record at 123.88 mph going into that meet. Howard's engine was 4 cylinder Ford with a Cyclone 4 port head, a Duelon cam and a couple of Winfield carburetors.
    Most hot rod history buffs will recognize the streamliner as the old Bob Rufi SCTA record machine.
    Also note that the drawing was done by Larry Shinoda, the Corvette StingRay designer in his early hot rodding days.

img073.jpg img074.jpg Don

chryslerfan55, Stogy, Pufff and 2 others like this.
  2. woodiemike

woodiemike
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

C'mon Don....don't tease us! We want to see what's inside.

Stogy and volvobrynk like this.
  3. woodiemike

woodiemike
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm going to post an article that I hope all will enjoy reading. Some great pictures, and just shows how things were "back then". Things got done in the garage, any way they could. I'm sure 296ardun will enjoy this, as a lot of it pertains to Don Blair. As he has stated previously, he knew Don, and also worked for him. Also note on the bottom of page 42, the plate on the roadster is a LA Gophers plate. My Dad was also a member of the Gophers. Also on the next page, there is a picture of a roadster in the garage being working on. If you look just to the left of the guys sitting on the side of the car, that's my Dad standing there. So hope you enjoy the article. Hope to have some more pictures soon.

scan0047.jpg scan0048.jpg scan0049.jpg scan0050.jpg scan0052.jpg

63fdsnr, chryslerfan55, Stogy and 4 others like this.
  4. KKrod

KKrod

This is a classic photo. I bet you were surprised when you saw your Dad in the photo. Nothing like working with one overhead light bulb.

[​IMG]

5. woodiemike

woodiemike
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for the comment KKROD. When you see early picture like this, amenities were defiantly lacking! Most were just like this, one light, and made it work. Not like the "sterile" shops now days.

KKrod, Stogy and volvobrynk like this.
  6. woodiemike

woodiemike
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

All right boys and girls, we have completed semester one, and are starting the final chapter! So pay attention! There might even be a test at the end!! HA!!!! I have one more album to go through, and then that is it. As you will be able to see from the pictures, this album is literately falling apart. The paper is coming off at the edges, so I usually don't even look at it unless necessary. It will take me longer to get through, but I'll get it done. You will notice that some of the pictures are duplicated from the first album, but this one has captions on most. Not sure why the duplicates. I am going to take a picture of the page, then the caption, than scan the picture. Hopefully this will capture the whole thing, as I feel the captions really make the pictures work!! As always, thanks for the comments, keep em' coming, and enjoy!!

IMG_1096.JPG IMG_1097.JPG IMG_1098.JPG scan0053.jpg IMG_1099.JPG IMG_1100.JPG scan0054.jpg IMG_1101.JPG

chryslerfan55, Stogy, Pufff and 3 others like this.
  7. woodiemike

woodiemike
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Forgot to add that I just love the picture of my Dad going through the "traps"!!!

Stogy, Clark and volvobrynk like this.
  8. Mart

Mart

9. Babyearl

Babyearl

Stogy likes this.
  10. firingorder1

firingorder1

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! This amazing thread should go on forever!!!! Beyond a shadow of a doubt THE best thread ever posted on here. To think that it is going to come to and end is saddening. Stretch it out Woodiemike. Its the only thread worth reading here. Thanks again for what you have posted. A period that all the greasy haired, turn up jeaned kids and short banged red haired, tattooed girls of today can't recreate.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2014
  11. I would love to be able to look around in that garage at all the "stuff"! Cool article.

chryslerfan55 and Stogy like this.
  12. wedjim

wedjim
    from Kissimmee

Wow, history preserved for us all to enjoy! Thanks much!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Stogy likes this.
  13. 296ardun

296ardun

[​IMG]

Might this be Phil Remington's modified? Don Montgomery or Jimmy B would know

14. Yep it is

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Stogy likes this.
  15. KKrod

KKrod

Jack McGrath and Manuel Ayulo racing each other in 1946. Manuel Ayulo raced a 1932 roadster for the first few races before moving to a 1927 which was much lighter. ManuelandMcGrath.JPG ManuelAyalo.JPG JackMcGrath.JPG

63fdsnr, chryslerfan55, Stogy and 3 others like this.
  16. seatex

seatex

This is absolutely amazing, and I don't know how the hell I missed it! It sure has been a pleasure catching up, though!
    Thanks for posting all of your treasure!

Stogy likes this.
  17. woodiemike

woodiemike
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Welcome aboard seatex....better late than never, huh!!! Settle in and enjoy the ride. As I'm sure you have seen; there are some great comments along the way! I just hope they "keep the ball rolling"! You are welcome, and enjoy!

18. woodiemike

woodiemike
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nice post KKrod. Brings to light the point that Don Montgomery has made; that a lot of these Lakes guys went on to race midgets, sprints, etc. My Dad also did the midget thing. I'll post a picture of my Dad and his car taken July 28 1957. He's the in the middle. He drove some, but enjoyed wrenching more.

scan0060.jpg

KKrod, chryslerfan55, Stogy and 4 others like this.
  19. woodiemike

woodiemike
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Breath firingorder....breath!!!! We still have a little to go, so hang in there!! I concur with everything you say!. You are welcome, and I sincerely hope that you continue to comment. I look forward to your comments. Thank you.

chryslerfan55, Stogy and volvobrynk like this.
  20. woodiemike

woodiemike
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just realized I did not scan the "lakes dust" picture. Don't want to short change anyone, so here it is. Also evident in this picture [and others] is the exhaust pipe. Dad said they would use drive shafts, torque tubes, and anything else they could to fab a exhaust. Again, goes back to they would use whatever they could get their hands on. Also check out the "altitude" on those carbs!

scan0055.jpg

21. KKrod

KKrod

That must be a really early intake manifold. I have never seen one like it. Those are quite the risers. Notice the intake is set up for Winfield carbs and the riser adapt them to 3 bolt carbs. I think the intake may be a Mal Ord. Anyway it is a really cool engine. And it looks like it was your Dad's first hot rod engine.

Stogy and volvobrynk like this.
  22. firingorder1

firingorder1

Stogy likes this.
  23. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Damn... another amazing Lakes thread!

Stogy likes this.
  24. 296ardun

296ardun

Unbelievable!! THANKS!! Yes, I worked for Don, he was a mentor to me --- yelled at me just enough to make me learn...I was a young kid with more enthusiasm than skill, but Don could teach as he had done it all....I also knew Tim Timmerman...he once worked for Don but then set up his own shop...it was almost around the corner from Blair's...he did machine work, balancing, etc...I had my flywheel chopped there, small shop but really quality work..

What all the others have said...this thread should all be published in Rodder's Journal, there is so much incredible history here!!

chryslerfan55, Stogy and volvobrynk like this.
  25. woodiemike

woodiemike
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great eye Karl!! You may be onto something there. I was originally leaning towards something home made on that manifold, but what you say, seems more feasible. Thank you so much for the comment. Again, this only emphasizes how this format works for all concerned!! Thanks for keeping the "ball rolling"!!

26. Rockerhead

Rockerhead
    Member Emeritus

Here is scans of a October 10, 1948 Russetta Timing Assn. (RTA) program. Those that are interested in hot rod history will find many names in there of guys who were well known later. I will add some more later.
    However I should add that the photo on the 3rd page that shows a '36 coupe being push started refers to the Don Brown coupe running "at another amateur time trial" (SCTA) --- "surprised a few people". This was where some of the roadster guys in SCTA claimed that the coupe's Russetta clocks were giving too fast timesfor a coupe. The coupe was invited to run at an SCTA meet where the clocks would be accurate. Don Brown's (Coupes club) Edlebrock powered coupe went faster at the SCTA meet to the pleasure of the RTA guys.
    Don img073.jpg img075.jpg img076.jpg img077.jpg img078.jpg img085.jpg img084.jpg img083.jpg img082.jpg img081.jpg img080.jpg

Attached Files:

chryslerfan55, Stogy, Pufff and 2 others like this.
  27. 296ardun

296ardun

Really amazing to read all these names...first time I knew that Larry Shinoda was not only a hot rodder and designer, but also an artist....and Tom Cobb was using GMC blowers back in '48...others like Mickey Thompson, Bob Pierson, Lou Baney, Dean Moon....even in the guest sports car category there is Phil Hill, who went on to Grand Prix fame....it is also interesting to look up the addresses of these old speed shops and speed manufacturing on Google Earth to see what is there now (looks like the old Bell shop might still be there, for example)...Thanks, Don!

28. woodiemike

woodiemike
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm right there with you 296ardun! The name's and history in that program are fantastic. Even see Don's name there. That's why we want to see inside Don. Thank you!! The advertisements are also great to look at. Again, you guy's just keep the ball rolling. Fantastic.

Stogy likes this.
  29. woodiemike

woodiemike
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

As I stated earlier, it's a little more time consuming to get thru this album. I'v gotten a little farther, so I will post what I have so far. Again I will do the whole page, picture of car and caption, than scan the picture. Enjoy!

IMG_1102.JPG IMG_1103.JPG scan0056.jpg IMG_1104.JPG scan0057.jpg IMG_1105.JPG scan0058.jpg IMG_1106.JPG scan0059.jpg

30. Tubs (Phaetons), roadsters, RPUs....this thread is so rad!

Very interesting to see all the diversity in the seminal days of hot-rodding!

chryslerfan55, Stogy, 62pan and 2 others like this.