Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration The First Time Von Dutch Screwed Me

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Nov 17, 2014.

1. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

Nice story Ryan, I always enjoy stories. Sounds like you had a wonderful Dad! Gotta say this though why put a word like perfidiousness in there ? I hate it when I have to look up a definition when a couple of simple words could have easily made the point. I honestly can't say that I have ever seen that word or will ever see it again.

For those of you that were afraid to ask but want to know the definition of Perfidiousness guilty,treacherous or faithless: deceitful. Pardon my grammar I was too busy reading the little books inside my text book while I was supposed to be learning such things. Just sayin......

2. flatheadtommy

flatheadtommy

Ryan, that was a great story, mostly what a great dad you had and meeting a with an even greater shitbum. definitely worth the price of admission.

3. the-rodster

the-rodster

That's the best story that you have written.

Very, very, cool.

Rich

Spoggie likes this.
  4. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

Love it! Your dad ruled, man... He straight up ruled.

5. Bill Rinaldi

Bill Rinaldi

Liked the story---really. BUT I'd sure like to know more about RYAN. Never knew about his dad being a doctor, much less his dad's racing connection. Really admire his father/son closeness-----Damn few fathers EVER went that extra mile with their kids. -----Perhaps it's been covered before, but how did RYAN manage to come up with the J.J. How did he get it started? A blog? A couple of guys with a chat room? RYAN What's your history BEFORE J.J.? BILL RINALDI

ffr1222k and Gary Reynolds like this.
  6. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

He invented decorative pinstriping ...that's his big deal. Flames too!

rod1 likes this.
  7. Seems you had one heck of a childhood and a great father. That watch is kool regardless of kenny's involvement with it.

8. Ebert

Ebert

Ryan, NOW I know how we connect....my Dad was a test engineer for Delco at Indy for 1963+ and I owned a team for 7 years...VDS was a bitchin' team for a ton of years....that Texas thing! Jim Hall....++++ GREAT story and what a Dad YOU had!

9. TANNERGANG

TANNERGANG
    BANNED
    from alabama

Stage Coaches, Saloon and Barber Shop Signs back in the late 1800's and early 1900's.......Pinstriping was a norm with all kind of swirles and colors in the Sign Painter field..........There was numerous pinstripers in Von Dutches day that were doing way better work and designs, but because he was used by some people in high places, he became a Hot Rod hero.....Ca. has numerous Pinstripers that simply amaze me with their talents....... there's many more around the country.......I remember telling Tn. pinstriper "Harris"....."There's plenty of people who do pinstriping, but there's only a few Pinstripers"...........I've been in the business 43 years and I still stand and watch Stripers at events without saying a word......if their good, I give them one of my cards and tell them their the real deal......I remember what it felt like to here encouraging words from a fellow striper.......Don't get me wrong, Von Dutch was an originator of sorts, but many many more out their are way more deserving. His name looks really good on a T-Shirt........75% of the people you see with one of them on has not clue to what it even means or who he was.............Just want to give credit to the numerous other stripers out there who are true masters at the craft..................tanner

10. AeroCraftsman

AeroCraftsman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A great story on every level.
    Thanks

11. In retrospect the real hero was with you the while time.

12. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:) Ryan.Your story reminds me of my Father.He was MY hero.Served in the trenches in WW1,along with his oldest brother.One day he said,lets go out to the airport and watch the planes come and go.So,we went.Well,it was a subterfuge.He went to meet Captain Eddie Rickenbacker,who was president of Eastern Airlines at the time..How he knew him,I don`t know,other than they were both WW1 veterans.I was introduced to him.What a thrill for a youngster.That was probably the coolest thing I think that ever happened to me.EVER.
    Miss my Father yet.He`s been gone now for 20 years this past September.God bless ya Dad,you are greatly missed.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

WC145, Saxman and loudbang like this.
  13. philly the greek

philly the greek
    from so . cal.

During the late '70's and early '80's , I attended several of the Rat Fink reunions at Kim and Ed's shop in CA. Von Dutch was usually there with one of his knives for Roth to auction off. He was not a very sociable guy and always seemed to find a way to get in an argument with someone during the evening . The last time that I saw him , he was storming out while calling someone a fucking Nazi !! That being said , your dad sounds like a bitchin guy that I would like to have met .

Atwater Mike and Gary Reynolds like this.
  14. carpok

carpok
    from Indy

Great memory's thanks for sharing. Ron

15. Today's value is around $200 to 400. depending on how many big words are used in the add!

16. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

Your story sounds very similar to other stories I have read about Kenny Howard "AKA Von Dutch"

From everything I have read he was not a very nice person to deal with.
    Stories of what he did to some of the bikes he stripped when the owner's would come back to pick up their bike were the really crazy such as the time he painted a small bug into his design and when the owner asked what the hell that was and why he did it he looked at the guy and said you don't like it!!!!

When the owner said no I don't like and he simply said let me fix it and with that he picked up a hammer and smashed the hell out of the guy's fuel tank and then told him to get the hell out of his shop.

He was a very talented man but also marched to the beat of a different drummer for sure.
    Thanks for sharing your story with the rest of us. Your dad sounded like a really nice guy and I bet he was surprised to meet the real Kenny Howard in person.

Whenever I see someone at a car show wearing either a shirt or hat with the Von Dutch logo I tell them I will give you $5.00 if you can tell me his real name. I have never had to give anyone the money so far!!!

Jimbo

Von Dutch Lives.jpg

17. Cool story as always, especially because I dig watches...

18. Thanks, your story just made my morning.....

19. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

He passed on... and screwed me from the grave. I built a website for the Von Dutch brand... Soon after, the brand was acquired by a European group. My invoice was ignored... never paid.

Some of you old time HAMBers might remember the Kevin Lee designed "Son Of A Bitch" shirts... That's where they came from.

Obviously, Kenny didn't get me again as he had already died... But I like to think he had hand in it from 6-feet under.

To you and I, Von Dutch's knives were gorgeous. Art. But, to life long knife makers like Earnie Self or Chris Reeves or any of those types of guys, Dutch's knives were a bit amateurish.

Keeping it real... Yeah, Von Dutch was the not the type of person I would hang out with. Not in the least... However, that doesn't mean I wouldn't go to a bar with him for the writing opportunities...

He was eccentric. And I appreciate eccentric people for their different perspective on things.

I guess I take the bad so I can appreciate the good...

Good god do I have stories. I had thanksgiving dinner with Michael, Mario, and Jeff Andretti once... AJ Foyt is a pretty close family friend. Jim Hall was always around... and my dad was a sort of surrogate father for John Paul Jr.

My favorite story of the CART years... I think it was 1985 and we were at the Phoenix International Raceway. My dad and I stayed with VDS at the team hotel along with Doug Shierson's team. I was about 9 years old at the time...

Anyway, my dad goes out drinking with the guys and I stayed at the hotel. Somewhat amazingly, John Paul Jr. was my babysitter... though as I look back at it, I think I was actually baby sitting him. At around 1am, I was awoken by a loud banging noise. I cracked the door to the room (second floor outdoor room) and saw three guys working away on the door of one of Shierson's trailers. I woke up JP and he called the police.

Turns out, those guys were hoods and the trailer they were trying to get into contained Al Unser Jr's qualified car.

The cops treated me like a hero... I even got interviewed on the local news. I was on cloud 9... and not because I was lucky enough to be the guy to hear the noises that night. I thought I was going to get to meet and hang out with Al Unser Jr.

The next day was the last practice day before the race. My dad and I went to Al Unser Jr's trailer hoping to get an autograph and maybe some face time. We knocked on the trailer door and met his assistant. His assistant then disappeared... and reappeared a few minutes later with an autographed hat. "Al is busy right now. Thanks for your help last night."

I was so bummed.

Anyway, Franz Weiss (the head of VDS) heard about it and told Mario Andretti - my absolute idol at the time... I ended up being a little miniature mascot for Newman/Hass racing all weekend. It was amazing... and one of the best weekends of my childhood.

To this day, I consider Mario one of the best persons on the planet.

Without doubt, I had the best dad that ever graced this planet. No shit. I can't even begin to tell you guys the shit he got me into and out of...

20. NoSurf

NoSurf

Kick-ass story.

I know you are/will be a great Dad too.

21. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

What truly blows my tiny little mind is the number of people I see wearing crap with his name on it that are of Asian decent. My wife is Asian (which makes my daughter half Asian, so you can suss out from THAT just how "cool" I think racism is) it's REALLY hard for me to not grab these people by the elbow and explain just who "Von Dutch" was, and what he was all about. Let's just say the popularity of " Von Dutch" fashion crap does nothing to lessen my overwhelming cynicism and general all round disgust with the human race...which, much to my chagrin, is a trait I probably share with the late Kenny Howard.

Spoggie likes this.
  22. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

Interesting story and I also remember Doug Shierson's Racing out of Adrian, MI.

Years ago they ran the Formula Atlantic Series and the driver at that time was Howdy Homes who was a very good driver. I miss the old Formula Atlantic Series.

I read recently that JP's dad might be getting out of prison early which has many people wondering how you get lock up for life and are now getting out.

Jimbo

23. someone in the spotlight with issues beyond their talent?.....NO.......what's next? will we hear that the head of the fbi wears dresses? our sports legends abuse woman and animals? there is non work related stuff going on in the white house? singers and actors with substance abuse problems? at least we can relie on dr Huxtable.
    nice story Ryan, your dad was a good man.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  24. LOL Ryan,

You at least got an old watch, my childhood Mr. Howard adventure probably netted me the after affects (or should that be effects) of the naphtha that I used to clean the one shot of the ol' man's work bench and tool box. :eek: :D

Good read my friend.

25. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Two fantastic stories for the price of one! Just dripping with cool. And a great tribute to your dad, well done.

26. Pretty funny. We all have our faults, and behind every genius is said to be a mad man.....or worse..... It is what it is. To be celebrated never means to be understood. We never know what lurks within.

There are a bunch of interesting reads regarding "Dutch".....but this is another one to add to the fun pile. To me, I think your dad let him think he was pulling a fast one.....when in reality it was the Cochran provisions being stocked for future livelihoods, and endeavors. Who is laughing last now ? Guess that would be all of us.

Thanks Dad ! Kudos to you Ryan. Lucky men.

27. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

True on a lot of levels... An example: There's a guy that's been banned from the HAMB like 4 times and although he hasn't been on the HAMB in probably three years, he still talks shit about me and the site every chance he gets. In fact, he even writes emails to The Rodder's Journal with all kind of crazy accusations and thoughts attached.

Guy is a nut case. Total nut case.

Even so, I can't help but respect him on a certain level... cuz he's also a really passionate car guy.

oliver westlund and Baumi like this.
  28. lol shaking my head. Seeing the good in everyone? That's pretty cool ! I'm thinking you don't have the hate thread in ya'. Little does the yahoo know huh? He is blessed and doesn't even know it. His loss....pretty cool man. I have respect just for that. Great attitude ! Bless you sir.

29. I find this amusing. Ever since his death, and the fact of his real name becoming common knowledge, everyone seems to be trying to gain some sort of postmortem familiarity with him by calling him "Kenny". I did meet him, one other time, at Dave Ekins shop, in North Hollywood. Dave called him "Dutch". I also know several, very old, bikers who knew him. They also call him "Dutch". Knowing what a cantankerous old fart he was, I suspect calling him "Kenny", when he was alive, would have been ill received, at best.

jadegrenade 51 and Special Ed like this.
  30. I lived in Phoenix in 1985 and there's an off chance I saw your TV interview.. haha.. I think I was 8.