Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. metal bender

metal bender
    from texas

I, see the end for the Millers meet coming !!

2. indyrjc

indyrjc
    from Indiana

Anything is possible but If I had to bet right now I'd say that the Miller Meet will still be taking place long after IndyCar has left Milwaukee for good. From what I've heard it's the Indy race that has been having financial issues; not the other way around. Holding both events on the same weekend may simply be a coincidence since the Harry Miller Club had already signed for their Friday and Saturday date many months ago. IndyCar just squeezed in their one day show in the only hole in their schedule that was left and announced it last Thursday.

carl s likes this.
  3. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

I hope that event will still be around when my junk gets track worthy. Its on my bucket list.

slobitz likes this.
  4. I think you've got a good point! I've run with Victory Lane Magazine's Historic Indy/Champ Car Association (HCICA) at California Speedway (now known as AAA Speedway). In the years that we've been doing it, some events have been in conjunction with either CART or IRL. Most of the time it's been with the Vintage Auto Racing Association (VARA). We all know what happened to CART. And, we can see what is happening with the IRL. However, the events with VARA (VARA's events are generally non-spectator) there are not as many vintage car enthusiasts coming to see the old cars. Moreover, these tracks are very expensive to rent on a weekend. I think it can only benefit the Miller show. It might even bring out some of the collector (speculators) who have been sequestering Their Miller recreations.

slobitz likes this.
  6. 29 Speedster

29 Speedster
    from Colorado

Our Car didn't meet the requirements for the Miller Meet as it is classified as a "Flat Tail Sprint Car" and they don't allow Sprint Cars at their meet. I did notice some vehicles participating that I thought were of questionable heritage, but it is there meet and their rules.
    I doubt if the missed me not being there though. Movin on.

7. carl s

carl s
    from Indio, CA

29, your flat tail big car is outstanding! (I’ve seen some photos somewhere of its appearance at the Vintage Meet at CNS in Aug.)
    Not speaking for The Miller Club but from what I know, sprint cars and midget racers are not currently part of the ‘on-track-scene’ (there are always some on display) for our annual event on the mile track. I understand there has been some discussion by the board about including them in some way but as of the moment no changes are in store to do so, I’m not privy to the particulars.
    If your #17 was turned down for participation in the ‘on-track’ portion of the Miller Meet I’m pretty darn sure it was entirely based upon its designation as a ‘flat tail sprint car’ and for no other reason.
    Accurately labeled restorations, recreations, replicas and tribute cars all seem happy and welcome at the Miller Club and its events.

8. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Couldn't he just cobble up a traditional stinger tailpiece to cover the gas tank?

9. I think the whole deal about turning down your car for the "Miller Meet" might be in semantics. As I think I remember your car, it's a pre-WWII rail car. Right? If that is the case, it is not technically a "Sprint Car". The pre-war open wheel cars fell into three basic categories: Indy Cars, Big Cars and Midgets. They were differentiated by engine type and size, and wheel base. The Indy and Big Cars generally ran in rather long distances (100, 200 and 300 mile races). After the war (in the late 40's or early 50's) the race promoters found that spectators seemed to be more attracted to events featured much shorter races..Sprints! Ergo the name "Sprint Cars" evolved. Many cars like yours (Pre-War) participated in those races, using smaller fuel and oil tanks . Therefore, if the chassis and engine in your car are from the earlier era, it technically could be called a "Big Car"; and not necessarily a "Sprint Car". If it has a 100 or 110 inch wheelbase (depending on the year), it might be designated an "Indy Car"!

Of course, I may be full of little red ants.

10. 29 Speedster

29 Speedster
    from Colorado

You are probably correct regarding the "Sprint Car" issue with our car, as I do classify the car as a Flat Tail Sprint Car so people looking at the car have a reference point as the type of car and can relate to today's cars. I think when it was "new" (early 30s), it was called a Race Car, and when the Midgets were introduced about 34, this became a Big Car to distinguish it from the midgets.. I guess that is the problem, and I probably should call it what it is, and that is my mistake. It is a pre-war Rail Car as you noted, with a 90 inche wheelbase, powered by a Model B Engine (~200 cu ci), with McDowell OHV, Side Drive Mag, and two Winfield "S" Carbs, etc. Too Long for a Midget (72") and too short for a Big Car (108"), as Goldie Locks would say....."It is Just Right". I don't want to cause any issues with the Miller Meet folks, I was just a little frustrated, and will drop it. They do a good job and put on a great show with a lot of really nice cars, and I appreciate what the have done, and hope they can continue with even greater participation.

slobitz likes this.
  11. rodney woolnough

rodney woolnough
    from tasmania

i have just bought this one little info known at this stage i bellieve it was built Michigan around 1938 imported to australia 4 years ago

Attached Files:

12. tub1

tub1
    from tasmania

hello Rodney ,have you got this car in tas yet would like to view ,them old racers make the mind busy scott

13. indianapolisracer

indianapolisracer

About 25 years ago I was looking for a 270 Offy for the Dayton Wheel Special that I owned at the time.Grant King had one for sale in Indy, fresh for $15000, and I told him I would buy it if he included the stand the Offy was sitting on,he replied "no that belongs to Clint Brawner",I said no stand no deal,he relented and I took them home to my shop.The Offy turned out to be junk but I still have Clint Brawners Offenhauser engine stand complete with his name welded on it !

14. rodney woolnough

rodney woolnough
    from tasmania

it arrives sat nite on the sp

15. rodney woolnough

rodney woolnough
    from tasmania

16. rodney woolnough

rodney woolnough
    from tasmania

17. baconjeff

baconjeff

18. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

You might try on the Vintage Midget page, and also on the midget page on Facebook. Jeff Nuckles would probably have some info for you, I think his dad was involved with the Ray Leo Offy and they were/are all from Columbus, Ohio. Ray's shop was on Sullivant Ave., I think, but that was way before my time.

19. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

20. Rebel 1

Rebel 1

If I could ask for a little help here. I am trying to identify a Sprint car body / type / chassis - anything. My grandfather ran one back in the 50's and I am trying to find one like it or at least find enough parts to build one. Any ideas, suggestions or anyone have a similar Sprint Car or any parts laying around they would part with? Thanks

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

21. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Looks like a 30s-late 40s homebuilt 3-springer. Might get some ideas here: http://packmag.net/index.php?option=com_rsgallery2&Itemid=28&catid=6

Rebel 1 likes this.
  22. joemarsicano

joemarsicano
    from Palmyra PA

So now I can attend the Miller meet and catch an Indy and Indy Lights race.... nice!

QUOTE="mac miller, post: 10679371, member: 25869"]bad news for the "Millers at Mil;waukee" vintage meet !!
    wow! I was blindsided by the bad news that the Milwaukee Miller vintage meet will now be part of the indy specracer weekend. After 20 years of building the best and most prestigious vintage oval event in the country, it is being reduced to a sideshow of the indy specracer carnival.
    I can think of nothing positive for the Miller Meet with this situation.[/QUOTE]

23. grantw

grantw

Here's a shot of me running the car at the Geelong Speed Trials in 2013. Nice simple straight run down in Geelong Victoria. Geelong is, well was the home of Ford here in Australia

Attached Files:

24. grantw

grantw

And another

Attached Files:

25. indianapolisracer

indianapolisracer

While at Grant Kings picking up the Offenhauser engine I stepped next door to A.J.Watson's shop and we discussed my restoration and the conversation turned to his dolley trailers.He joking said I built better trailers than I did race cars and I asked if he had any of his trailers anymore,he said yeah I think there is an old one out back.We the went to look at it and I asked if it was for sale and he just gave it to me!I have restored the trailer but the problem now is when you travel and you have a restored Indy car on it is exposed to elements and every stop people swarm around it and some try to climb up to car. So you have to be vigilant at all times.Also as you travel on the interstate people tend to just hang along side looking at racer.So for now I just load my champ car on it when I attend local events.

carl s and big mike b like this.
  26. deuce354

deuce354

Got my mockup finished on my big block sprint car. Car ran IMCA in the late 60"s. Got a lot of history on it. Started 2nd in the 69 Little 500. getting ready to tear apart for some paint & chrome. I wanted to leave the original paint, but the frame is just too rough & the body has a lot of cracks & its not the paint scheme that it ran in 69. I'll post progress pics as we go.

Attached Files:

27. baconjeff

baconjeff

Thanks iv been kinda wordering more and more about him ill look up those

28. Speedwrench

Speedwrench

It was reported on the Indiana Open Wheel board that Ralph Potter of Midget and Kurtis quarter midget fame died today.

29. Speedwrench

Speedwrench

Deuce354 - Looks like the car was in good company in the Little 500 shot - Daryl Harrison on the outstde and Tom York on the inside.

30. Dick L

Dick L

Is this once awesome thread dying? Where is everybody?