Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 26 T Roadster Pick Up build Thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Blue One, Mar 27, 2010.

1. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Thanks guys :)
    And there will also be some jealous engines too when they hear how sweet the Y Block will sound :cool:

dana barlow likes this.
  2. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Damn that exhaust system looks good!

3. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Nice work on the exhaust Larry. Looks good!

4. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

5. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

That would be the cat's meow! :):rolleyes:;)

6. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

:D One never knows. I have been resisting the urge due to the price tag.
    I'm not sure although you know what they say, "Resistance is futile, you will be assimilated" :D
    I have to try to decide what to do before it's too late :)
    I have been back and forth on this for some time now :confused:
    Larry.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  7. Cat's pajamas! HRP

8. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

So, here's where my thought process has been going.
    1) Buy the new Winters quick change as pictured above with a brand new drum brake kit to go with it, and have it built so that it centers the diff housing between the wheels.
    2) Since I have proven my rear suspension design works, build a bolt on assembly to accommodate the upper control arms presently mounted on The Maverick rear end.
    I really like the look of the lower control arms I have mounted outside the frame as I feel they kind of balance the look of the front wishbones.

That would allow me to keep my suspension design as is and run the new Quick Change.

What do you think of that ? :) I think it would be :cool:

loudbang and 26 T Ford RPU like this.
  9. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

It would add a wow factor to an already fabulous looking build,
    I know I would love it but I don't have to pay for it. :rolleyes:

10. If think you have talked yourself into this and I like it as it will give the rear a factor that matches the rest of your build. DO IT !! JW:D

11. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

I'm probably not going to be much help making your decision because I like your present setup except that the diff. isn't centered. That Winters would give your roadster some more WOW factor. You could also make some bolt on plates for the lower control arms too. I did that after I found out the original split wishbones weren't strong enough with an open drive banjo when they cracked. I bolted the new radious rod brackets to the front two backing plate bolts that I had replaced with longer grade 8s. You could make brackets that bolt to all four backing plate bolts if you feel the need.
    I've been told that my rear setup can't work but then I've been told that about my front hairpins with a tube axle and I've driven the roadster that way for almost 30 years now with no trouble. In all fairness though neither my front or rear suspension moves very far. I'm sure that whatever you do it will be as bitchin as all the rest of your build.
    Gary

12. Tim_with_a_T

Tim_with_a_T

Larry,
    I would do it. The reason I say that is because I've contemplated the same thing, but I already spent $$ to have my 9" housing narrowed, new 31 spline axles made, found a good 3rd member with new gears, bearings, and posi, went out to the wrecking yards in the snow to hunt down the right backing plates, completely rebuilt the brakes, bought fancy brackets for my rear suspension and made ladder bars to fit. I feel like I'm kinda married to that setup, but not a day goes by that I don't think.....quickchange. Do it. You won't regret it. And post lost of pictures so I might be inspired to do the same thing when I'm not so poor!!!

13. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Thanks guys, the gears of the decision making process are turning, a bit slowly but they are turning :D
    I appreciate the thoughts and any more that might come this way.
    Larry.

14. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Last edited: Nov 14, 2014
  15. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Well I went and done it now :D :eek:
    I just priced out the Winters quick change, brakes and gears and all and asked for the shipping quote to get the stuff to me.
    Waiting on an e-mail and hoping for the best. Maybe I won't be too shocked by the total :eek:
    I have an idea what it will all cost. :)
    Larry.

16. You'd be able to go down to local used car lot and buy a whole damn car for the same money- maybe 2 if you go there on the right day lol

17. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Yes, you are probably right, however you really don't get much car for that price. :)

Not like it was when I was younger and drove cheap beaters for years. My daily driver vehicles are a lot newer now ;)

18. But once its installed and compliments the rest of your car you wont think of the cost. JW:)

19. I know where there is a Colman quick change. Used in good shape. $400 plus shipping. Steel tubes setup for wide 5 hubs. Just in case that interests you.

20. HAHA this is Alberta figure what you think it should go for and then multiply by about 4 and you will be in the ball park of what someone will ask for it.:rolleyes:

21. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

You are already too far gone. If you don't do it you will always wish you had. You may even grow to hate the 9" and thus the whole car spoiling all of the great work you have done.o_O Well maybe not but you should do it anyway.:rolleyes:

22. Well its true I don't know the car market in Alberta.

23. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

Larry,
    Are you still debating this in your head? You will never be satisfied with that Maverick unit. I would probably opt for the center kit and use early Ford trumpets. The Wedge Lok would be nice but really drives the price up. Get the lowest numerical ring and pinion that they offer. This allows you to more finely tune the final gear ratio and gets yu more use from the gears you have.
    Just Do It!

24. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I think the debate is over, I'm waiting for the shipping info from Speedway.
    I like the service they offer and I like Speedway in spite of what anyone else has said about them, they have always been very good to me.
    This is their description of the rear end:
    Finally an all new V8 quick change that has steel side bells and tubes that accept modern axles. They are available in either plain finish or a polished center section that includes stainless steel fasteners. These rear ends are 56" from hub to hub and have both 5 on 4 1/2" and 5 on 4 3/4" bolt patterns. They accept the new style big Ford brakes with a 2 1/2" offset and the standard Spicer 1310 Chevy 3-1/4" u-joint. The 3.78 ring and pinion is mounted on a wedge lock differential and accepts common 6 spline quick change gears.

I'll get the plain finish as pictured.
    I have picked out 3 different gear sets that will give me a pretty good range to play with and if that's not enough I can always order another set, in the scheme of things they aren't that expensive. :)

I also called Winters for tech assistance and they told me that the Nostalgia V8 QC center section is indeed centered in the total width of the rear end and that there is a slight offset inside the housing, the normal ring gear offset, but that the housing and pinion are centered and the axle tubes are the same length on each side.
    I also got some tips from them on gear set selection based on my drivetrain and tire size.

With the brakes installed we are bang on the width of my 56.5" Maverick rear so that is awesome.
    I will be redesigning the top control arms of my suspension a little , it looks like I will be moving them down a small bit on the frame mount end and will design a bolt on bracket to fit the front top of the QC.
    I anticipate that they will be slightly less visible than they are now sitting on top of the Maverick rear.
    The suspension will still work as designed and be a whole lot cooler :cool:

So yes Six Ball it looks like I am very close to too far gone :D
    Larry

Last edited: Nov 14, 2014
    Sergeant82d and loudbang like this.
  25. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

That is way cool, I am happy for ya and a wee bit jealous, in a good way.

26. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

I wimped out on my champ car project and just "quickified" a roundback 9 inch Ford:

[​IMG]
    I found the cracked center section in a scrap yard - bought it for scrap price.

mctim64 likes this.
  27. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I'm going for the real thing ;) :cool:

daddio211 and Dick Stevens like this.
  28. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Well, the order has been placed and Speedway will be shipping my brand new quick change to me with the new 11" drum brakes and 3 sets of gears.
    I'm thrilled :)
    Can't wait to get it and do the install :cool:
    Larry
    Did I mention that I'm excited ? :D