Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Border Bandits Gas class builds to the Southeast Gassers rules.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by II FUNNY, Nov 5, 2014.

1. What'd be cool, is one of those light little batteries, in an aluminum box the size of a std battery, painted/airbrushed to look like an old "tar top? Battery. You could do it with a rectangular box too, and disguise it as a bus battery.

2. powrshftr

powrshftr

National Parts Depot has fake resto battery shells like that.Thats something I was thinking of with the bus battery also....although they weigh a ton and would make for a good little slab of ballast if you were looking to help traction

Scott

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

quicksilverart46 likes this.
  3. if you can get one, they used to have plastic display batteries for the auto parts stores, you could hide a little battery in there too.

4. .., there ya go, Scott knows where to get plastic ones.

5. Holy crap wis guys building southeast gasser cars
    SIM and Meltdown '15 are going to be fun

beebee78, 91whitestang and II FUNNY like this.
  6. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

If you drop some acid that's where the best paint jobs come from.

7. powrshftr

powrshftr

Which reminds me:You need to do some kind of crazy Hippie psychedelic shit with the paint of the Charger.
    Let Kip be your Guru of Vintage style....He's a big dangerous lunatic,but his taste is impeccable!:D

Scott

II FUNNY likes this.
  8. I warned you about these guys Jeff o_O better get your acid on.

9. I sort of remember...

10. I can see your gonna fit in just fine around here.

11. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

Tony one of the new rules for 2015 is the battery will have to be mounted behind the fire wall and no lower then the rocker panel unless it's in the factory location. Just one of the new rules I had to add because of the stuff fulton tried to get by with on his car. Fulton had his mounted just under the gas tank in the front. Donovan just moved his a few races ago and wanted to put it in front but I told him if he did it would have to be moved in 2015, so he put it under the passenger floor. Another thing Gene did to keep his car from acting like a gasser should act was the bottom of his oil pan had a 20 lbs weight bar in it. So the new rule on added weight, it can't be but 3" below the frame rails that it is attached to.

12. tylercrawford

tylercrawford
    from Buford, GA
    1. S.F.C.C.

Ha! I love all the little racer tricks gene used on his car...it's too bad that it definitely wasn't in the spirit of things but you can tell he's passionate about everything he does.

13. deto

deto

Drag strips are an endangered species out here...

14. sch-1

sch-1

"it's too bad that it definitely wasn't in the spirit of things"

A body would think that the simple inexpensive innovation of placing 20# of steel where it does the most good would be more in the spirit of old time Gasser racing than state of the art roller motors with current aftermarket Aluminum heads. But that's only my humble opinion. The Gassers of the day didn't have any rule like that , did they?

rascal55 likes this.
  15. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

Aluminum heads and roller cams have been around since the 60's

16. sch-1

sch-1

"Aluminum heads and roller cams have been around since the 60's"

I said state of the art full roller motors and current aluminum heads. And mild steel plate has been around since then to. But it doesn't matter to me, I don't have a dog in the fight. Just my observation and it's all good.

17. powrshftr

powrshftr

Sch-1, you sure do a lot of chirping for a guy who's not gonna actually contribute anything or build a car to compete.

You don't happen to drive a black 56 Chevy with the big tires on the wrong end do you now...?;)

Scott

Dog_Patch and II FUNNY like this.
  18. Wow.......great thread ........one can feel the enthusiasm and motivation bouncing back and forth just by reading. Great choice of cars. I have a 38 Chevy Coupe I always wanted to build in Gasser mode........where can I read the rules/guidelines.

19. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

Google Southeast Gassers...they have the rules in their site.

20. powrshftr

powrshftr

Google southeast Gassers rules.
    And a 38 Chevy would make an absolutely perfect gasser!:)
    Don Nowell's 37 is one of my all-time favorites,an original gasser,and the way it was built back in the day would pretty much fit Quain's rules to a tee!:)

Scott

21. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

Maybe period appearing would be easier for you to digest...I know that with todays track prep and tires a 60's stick shift car would spit its guts out...I also know that vintage speed parts are not a deal...I have more in my 60's crower injection than alot of guys have in their whole motor. I also know that myself and two other guys building cars to Quains rules have had me mill the logo off the front of the aftermarket aluminuum heads to appear more correct...

sonic03bluegt likes this.
  22. powrshftr

powrshftr

Kip,
    If he thinks its kosher for Fulton to build a $100,000 car to compete in a grass roots gasser group,he's never going to "get it".

Scott

Last edited: Nov 14, 2014
  23. Scott, are you clairvoyant?

24. Sounds like its time to start wrenching brother, & come support The South East Gasser movement. You'll find plenty of enthusiasm & help, especially when your actually building/racing a car, & not just dreaming & chirping from the fence.

powrshftr likes this.
  25. dusterdave173

dusterdave173

Question on Gasser body styles
    I thought Gassers were built from older ( cheaper ) cars back in the day by guys that could not go out and get a brand new 65 mustang to make a car out of so how is it they run a 65 Mustang , Falcon, whatever ?? I mean...is there going to be a list of approved body styles for this sooner or later--I thought shoebox tri 5 chevys were the cut off---just asking--not complaining--I have an FED so just wondered before I started gassing out the WRONG body some day

26. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

The problem is it depends on if your building to the mid 60's or the late 60's...most Mustangs, Falcons, Novas were match raced and may have had an AWB. When the cars made the switch to flip top cars these early match race stockers were outdated ,and as long as the wheelbase wasn't changed became Gassers...the main reason the Gas classes lost their pull was they became slow funny cars. Now yhis is not a hard rule. Malcolm Durham ran in the gas class because of no factory support for his "W" motored Chevelle so he ran Gas before making it an AWB car with a new 396.

Attached Files:

loudbang likes this.
  27. powrshftr

powrshftr

There were a few late model entries in the gas classes in the early days,most notably "The Numismatist" 64-1/2 Mustang out of Ohio (body shop owner rebuilt a wrecked new car),but for the most part the late model body styles came from 67-on,such as the Revell Kit Mustang,and Ohio George's Mustang.
    Gene Cromer's open top car was really cool also.

For the most part in the early 60's they were older body styles that people could afford to buy cheap,and modify,though,as you said.

Scott

28. powrshftr

powrshftr

And Kip,
    Malcolm Durham is just about the biggest badass that ever lived.LOVE that white Chevelle!:D

Scott

29. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

I've always liked him and Beswick for sticking with GM.

30. powrshftr

powrshftr

That's the only thing I didn't like about those two!:D
    Lol!

Scott

sonic03bluegt and II FUNNY like this.