Register now to get rid of these ads!

Me & Gramps' '51 GMC 5 Window Project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Cubby, Jul 8, 2012.

1. Thanks buddy, glad to see some more progress on yours!

2. shadams

shadams

Yep, its still here...and sorry I missed the pic of the little one, she is a cutie....my girl just turned 9 months this past weekend...man time flies...anyway, hopefully you have some time to work on the truck soon...

3. Too bad we aren't all in the same city... Maybe then we could kick each other in the ass... Or maybe even team up and actually get one of these on the road!

4. shadams

shadams

Ha, no kidding....I am stuck right now, gotta get someone to install my windshields, dont wanna f that up and/or have leaks...

5. make a left and come to AZ. we'll put it in, have to do mine at work. although it doesn't look good to see my truck with broken glass sittin outside of an auto glass shop, but im broke.

6. ...you can install the windshield, use new rubber, I've put em in myself in 20 minutes or so, not that bad, use the string (I use 14 gage electrical wire) in the groove, lube pinch weld with dish soap.
    There are Youtube vids of this also.

7. Haha, yeah it sure is! So is the truck, just hasn't got much love lately! It goes fast man, too fast. Ours turned a year in December and we have another girl due in early June. I've got a window to work once warmer weather hits and I'm hoping I can get it done! We'll see...

I like the idea Purdue, I vote we start with mine :)

8. Nothing great to report, but finally some more progress! We got the shocks installed today, and started sanding down the surface rust off the box again. Waiting for a couple warm days and we'll get after the little body work needed on the box.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. shadams

shadams

Nice job on the shock mounts....looks good...

10. Well, I'm still alive! We moved, had another daughter (yes...that's two since this thread started!) and have just been BUSY! I did manage to finally get my seat into and out of (the harder part) the upholstery shop. SO happy with how it turned out, especially if you look back through the thread and see what it started out like. Here she is:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 3, 2014
  11. Wow, that seat looks really really great! Glad you're back on it. I'm getting ready to start back up too.

12. shadams

shadams

Hey, seat looks bad ass.....on another note, I have beaten you back on the road, but you beat me in the "second kid during the build"...my wife is due again in May!!

13. Amazing story/build!! I noticed the angle on your shocks looks similar to the way I had mine when I lowered my truck, they didn't work worth a flip. It may just be the pics that make the angle look extreme but I'd reconsider what you have.

14. EnragedHawk

EnragedHawk
    from Waco, TX

Man, I don't know why it took me so long to check out this thread. Love the build!

15. Congrats brother! Any idea what baby #2 is gonna be?

Thanks for the heads up, no idea yet how they're gonna work out. I'm hopeful they work out, because there's not a lot of room to decrease the angle without meeting the axle. Thanks for the compliment!

Thanks man! It started hot and heavy and it's slowed down a lot. My goal is to get after it and finish this spring!

16. Thanks Purdue! It's been little bits here and there, hoping to get after it and get it "done" soon!

17. Bill Rinaldi

Bill Rinaldi

Great looking build, looks like your in the home stretch. Like some of the guys mentioned, it went hot and heavy early on. But as we all come to realize--LIFE-- gets in the way. Take care of your self and your growing family, the truck can be a priority, just not necessarily your FIRST priority at this time. BILL RINALDI

18. shadams

shadams

Oh yea, gonna have a boy! We already did up his room with all kinds of hot rod stuff... my little girl loves the "shuck" as she calls it. Momma wont let me take her for a ride in it, but she sure loves sitting in it and revving the engine. Cant wait...

19. Finally got some color to show off! Box and rear fenders are painted, the rest of the truck is in for paint now! Can't wait to get this thing all put together.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. I just realized I never posted this before, but I did get to take her for my first drive back in the Spring. Nothing crazy, but it was great to actually get it out and moving under it's own power, even if it meant sitting on a bucket for a seat. Speedo wasn't working, and it turns out the plastic speedo gears were chewing themselves up because the clip holding the driving gear had somehow come loose. Pulled the tail section off the tranny, ordered new gears and a new clip, and buttoned it all back up. I'm actually happy we discovered that gremlin at that stage. Video can be seen by clicking the link below.
    A video posted by Cubby (@flyingwoodworker)

21. Here's another video I have from the first drive. Not the greatest camera work, but it still brings a smile to my face!

[​IMG]

POLYFRIED 35 likes this.
  22. Loving this color, looking good as it comes together!

Attached Files:

23. Seat is in!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

volvobrynk likes this.
  24. POLYFRIED 35

POLYFRIED 35

25. Thanks!

26. Hard to believe I didn't even have kids when this project started, and now this one is about to turn 3. Proves that time flies and I'm taking way too long to finish this truck.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

27. Had a great day with Gramps yesterday making some big progress. Got some gaskets and bumpers put in a few places. Went to work on putting in the corner glass....the left one went in fairly quickly. The passenger side glass was another story. Ended up grinding around the opening and sanding the glass down to finally get it to fit. Back glass went in pretty well, definitely a two-person job.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]