Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Froze out

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by slack, Nov 12, 2014.

1. slack

slack

I'm replacing steel for brass freeze plugs in a mouse motor. The kit I purchased has small 9/16", 1/2" and apparently 3/8" plugs. Three of these go behind the timing chain cover in the oil galleys. Does anybody know where the others go? Also (I know I'm gonna catch flack for this) what happened to the "tech" section?

2. squirrel

squirrel

are they cup plugs, or threaded plugs? many guys thread the three holes behind the timing gear to take threaded plugs, that way they won't fall out.

There are usually some left over parts, when you buy a "kit" of parts to work on an engine that was in production for over 50 years, and had lots of design changes over the years. But make sure you get a good plug in the hole at the top rear of the driver side deck surface.

3. Bubba1955

Bubba1955

There's also a galley plug under the rear main cap. sbcrearloweroilgalley.jpg

4. The Tech Archive is regrettably gone forever,a causality of the new updates. HRP

5. slack

slack

Thanks Squirrel and Bubba. Too bad about the tech section, it was handy as a shirt pocket.

Bubba1955 likes this.
  6. If you want to leave out the 3 behind the timing cover, I'm an expert on the results of that. I can tell you all about what happens.

Bubba1955 and loudbang like this.
  7. Bubba1955

Bubba1955

I did that one time. Priming the oil system you can hear oil running back into the pan but no pressure.
    I knew right away what it was and was really embarrassed.
    No more drinking beer during assembly !!! LOL!!

slack likes this.
  8. krazee

krazee

The post's appear to be archived. Go to the bottom of the main page and change filter to technical, they appear to all be there

slack likes this.
  9. krazee

krazee

The place is the Thread Display Options

slack likes this.
  10. mr.chevrolet

mr.chevrolet

man, I know I'm challenged by this technology, I can't find any Thread Display Options. I've been looking for the Tech Archive for a long time. any help is appreciated.

11. Phil1934

Phil1934

light blue border at bottom when you leave this thread

12. henry's57bbwagon

henry's57bbwagon

mine area is grey. Click on Thread Display Options then Prefix then select the form you want to view. good day