Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods '36, going against my ways

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 36 Vick, Nov 12, 2014.

1. 36 Vick

36 Vick
    from Kerman, Ca

photo 3.JPG IMG_3765.JPG IMG_3760.JPG Was never a fan of fenderless, started this project. Going to be different, the challenge will be to make it all look right and proportional.

Any ideas, my vision is set, but outside eyes never hurt.

And yes, you cen tell me how wrong a fenderless 36 is, I won't argue with you.

2. Barry (ratrod0) built a nice 35 Ford Hiboy sedan that turned out nice. HRP

[​IMG]

3. You are certainly a brave man and one to push the envelope as they say. I like where you're going with it and glad you lowered the headlights from the first picture. Eager to see how it turns out 'cause if someone told me they were building a fenderless, channeled '36 Vicky the first thing I would do is cringe, but I think you have something pretty neat going on there.

Big mike 1968 and volvobrynk like this.
  4. belair

belair

It's working, but the area where the body curves up under the hood causes the hood to look too narrow, vertically, if that makes sense. Maybe headers will help fill the hole, but the area from the cowl forward needs to be "heavier" in my opinion, the curve of the bottom of the hood goes up too high.. Maybe the hood needs a rake to help transition to the A pillar, since they are leaned back. The side view is the least pleasing to my eye. But keep at it. As a whole, you have something that is promising.

Big mike 1968 likes this.

5. gearheadbill

gearheadbill

I really like the concept. Maybe a pair of 33-34 style inner fender panels to fill the void between the hood sides and the chassis. I agree with belair that that area needs something....but looking really good.

volvobrynk likes this.
  6. 3quarter32

3quarter32

Maybe some inner fender panels to fill the void under the hood sides. I like the look and where it is going.
    Lee

volvobrynk likes this.
  7. oldolds

oldolds

If you channel the front of the body an inch or so more, and leave the back where it is, it will take up some of the hood gap. It will lower the front of the hood maybe 2 inches.

Big mike 1968 likes this.
  8. 36 Vick

36 Vick
    from Kerman, Ca

So.... The plan. Fill the gap between the hood side and frame. Lime fire style header plus a lower panel mounted to the frame that will bubble over the header a bit

I've pinched the rails yesterday so the hood side is closer to the same plane as the frame rail.

Shortening the grill, without it looking to stubby will the the key to front end proportion

Last edited: Nov 12, 2014
    volvobrynk likes this.
  9. VOODOO ROD & CUSTOM

VOODOO ROD & CUSTOM

VOODOO Likes. Great look. Dare to be Different.

VR&C.

10. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

I'm glad to look at your car. my dad had a fenderless 35 a while back and I gave him hell for it, but I've got a 2 door humpback i've been pondering a lakes modified ish project with--the low fat lakester. I've had a hard time envisioning how the front end would look sans fenders. I was considering sweeping the frame rails up to follow the lower hood line. I'm not super keen on the asymetrical chop, but overall it's looking good!

volvobrynk likes this.
  11. I like.
    Brian on here did a 36, fenderless, with no roof.
    I like his one too.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  12. I'm not a fan of fenderless post 34 cars, but that one has a cool look
    like you ideas so far
    the rear part of the door next to the qtr glass may need to thin up a bit. definitely think about rounding the rear upper door corner

13. I like the basic concept a lot.
    2 things
    would be to make a rear wheel house that fits a round wheel vs the 1/2 teardrop shaped fenders.

Next would be to alter/ extend and cope the hood sides to fit the car in its new configuration. That may involve the cowl too which points the hood into the direction its currently heading.
    Those 2 -3 things would remove that little bit of awkwardness.

The reason these cars aren't popular without fenders it that the extra work needed to pull it off isn't popular.

volvobrynk likes this.
  14. It's good to have exceptions to "rules".

kiwijeff and bct like this.
  15. seatex

seatex

Can we see a 3/4 rear shot? Vicky's have some nice asses!

16. 36 Vick

36 Vick
    from Kerman, Ca

Here's the rears. Not at ride height yet. I'll be changing the front of the lower wheel well to match the tire radius. The back is tricky. Unlike earlier cars, the 36 has a huge slant. Any car prior has a very flat back end

So making the lower body line look right will be the trick

Attached Files:

17. The entire lower section from about the 1/4 window to the taillights will be new and of your own making and design to make it right. That the kind or work that makes people say they shouldn't be fender less. You'll probably be looking at a 34 Vicky to get some visual aid.

Possibly using a section of the fender, cut and reworked so that it feathers off to zero with the body at the top of the tire but smooths out the back end could work with a larger radius for the large tire.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2014
  18. brg404

brg404
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great car, great vision for something different! If I could make a suggestion - you have 3 perspective lines - one line that is the top of hood straight through body molding to back, one that is a raked line made by the top of the roof, and the last line that comes up from the bottom door/cowl. Its easier on the eye if the 3 lines are parallel or all lines converge on a 'vanishing point' way out in front of the grill. Here is a 32 Vicky that shows this:
    vicky.JPG

Keep after it, you will have a terrific car when done.

kidcampbell71 and texkbc like this.
  19. I agree with your initial idea about fenderless cars, especially post 1932 .

20. MAD 034

MAD 034
    from Washington

Exactly. Give it a more forward angled or wedged type channel.

21. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

I like it a lot. Other than the front wheel opening, easy to fix, the rear wheel looks disproportionate to the rear of the wheel. That one will be hard to change.
    Its cool.

volvobrynk likes this.
  22. 36 Vick

36 Vick
    from Kerman, Ca

I see modifying or making new hood sides, along with a lower panel mounted to the frame (similar to those on a 33-34). The hood side can stand to be a bit longer in height. Here are the 2 main reasons why; 1st, I fear that the look of a short stubby grill will not be pretty. As it sits now, I have to shorten the grill. Possibly push out the bottom a bit. Then rework the top and side of the grill to fit. Secondly, more front channel will create even more of an angle on the rear. Thus, increasing the mods needed to close the gap or correct the tailpan to fenderwell transisiton.

I want to modify the front door/cowl line to be more inline with the A pillar. Then, also with a new hood, kick the trailing edge of the hood to match the A pillar also. Similar to the look on a 34.

volvobrynk likes this.
  23. 36 Vick

36 Vick
    from Kerman, Ca

Thanks, I understand the "perspective lines" your are refering to. I see that now

24. Since new hood sides are on the table, you might try blocking up the cowl a skouch (reducing the channel) instead of dropping the grill.
    [​IMG]

Just a little so the line at the bottom of the door intersect the front tire closer to center.
    That will lessen the drastic downward wedge of the roof slightly. Then strike a tape line for your hood and have a peak.

Your exhaust, if it comes out of the side will alter the visual too. So some silver PVC pipe in the general configuration

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  25. Saxon

Saxon
    from MN

More rake. Bring the rear up a couple inches. It'll fit the wheel well better from the side. It seems like the rear tires are too close to the body also. Maybe a wider tire in back or offset rims. Maybe? my .02 cents

26. mrquickwhip

mrquickwhip

27. So-cal Tex

So-cal Tex

36 Roadster 2.jpg Fender less '36s can be tricky proportionally but it can be done........I built this '36 roadster about 10 years ago

63fdsnr, hfh, putz and 4 others like this.
  28. uncle buck

uncle buck

I like where you are going here too. I always wanted to give a shot at doing this but have enough other projects to prevent me from doing it. It is tough trying to do this fenderless. I think another thing you might consider is taking a lot of the lower arc on the hood sides. Looking at the pics in post 16 , I think the rear body line needs to be a bit more squared off in the lower rear quarters. After you bobbed off the stock metal below the body line it looks too rounded from the rear. You might even try reshaping the rear wheel wells and continue around the bottom to achieve the more square look back there.

29. This is gonna be a good build, I like the thought process thus far.

30. Btw 36 Vic, welcome to the hamb