Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods dual tunnel ram or bite the blower bullet???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by evobuilder, Nov 9, 2014.

?
  1. dual carb tunnel ram

9.7%
  2. shut up and drive it!!!

38.7%
  3. blower

51.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. evobuilder

evobuilder

I am contemplating adding a blower to the coupe this winter. I don't need the power adder, the car is plenty fast, its more about how much I really want to run a blower on this motor (pure fun factor for me). I have serious clearance issues with motor to radiator with no room to move around, so I would have to fab a new radiator, mounts, etc. and if I ran a dual carb tunnel ram setup, I wouldn't have to make a lot of fab decisions.

I welcome feedback, opinions and advice. baby1.jpg

AHotRod likes this.
  2. aircap

aircap

If you wanna look cool, go for some tall injector stacks.

turboroadster likes this.
  3. Blower would be my vote.
    Love the look and whine of a supercharged engine.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2014
    turboroadster likes this.
  4. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

5. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

2 blowers....

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  6. GasserTodd

GasserTodd

Cool little car.

I would say dont go anywhere near a tunnel ram for the street as they are just pigs. And I have several blowers and they just scream 'hot rod" when you kick the engine into life.

But you have no room for even a 2 inch blower belt and most roots blown motors with small radiators (Model Ts come to mind for some reason) struggle to stay cool.

Why not look at a 6 carb setup either using progressives or with the outer 4 blanked off and just run of the middle pair?

The suggestion of a set of trumpet injectors is a great option too. You just may need to got to a hidden EFI set up to make it nice on the street. Check the prices - I think the total spend on a Hilborn EFI setup is right up there with a blower, and a steel crank, good rods and blower pistons and the blower.

1927graham likes this.
  7. wingedexpress

wingedexpress

Keep it simple and just drive it. Its a nice car now .

8. captmullette

captmullette

disagree on the tunnel being a pig......you just gotta tune it.......blower good .....stack injector all cool go with what your first choice is and make it work

9. Sometimes a car is just right. I would take a long hard thought before I monkeyed with yours.
    It is about as perfect and eye pleasing a rod as I have ever seen. Next you will wanna touch up the Mona Lisa. Maybe you need a new project instead.

31Vicky with a hemi likes this.
  10. Three 2's or a low rise 2 4bbl..........

Spoggie likes this.
  11. I would go blown, however, there is nothing cheap about going blown! You better have a forged crank, pistons, good rods and heads, and correct camshaft. And blower carbs are allso very expensive. But to me the pay off of a fine tuned blown monster is worth the money and effort.

12. AHotRod

AHotRod

As I'm sure your well aware of, there is much more to it than just bolting on the blower. As "Mad Mikey" just wrote, everything else has to be up to the hit, even the fuel delivery system.
    In my opinion, the Tunnel Ram just wouldn't fit the 'Style' of your car. I really like it the way it looks now.

13. I'm running a 6 carb and like the view, thought about a blower, just because, but wouldn't be able to see much forward.

14. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

am I the only person here who hates tunnel rams?

kiwijeff likes this.
  15. DERPR30

DERPR30
    from HARVEY LA

NOTHING STANDS OUT LIKE A BLOWER

kiwijeff likes this.
  16. 69fury

69fury

Tunnel rams can run great even on the street- just takes sometime for the correct tune up. They look great, too! Having said that-A blower runs and looks even better. PUT A BLOWER ON IT! -rick

17. slammed

slammed

Leave it to the 'beavers' that suggest parts not on the list. Every time. The blower, it will make the look and performance complete of the era you are emulating.

18. cory27t

cory27t
    from US

I vote for the blower. That's one of things I'm going to put on my nailhead someday. I don't exactly need a blower, but who cares

19. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

20. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nope.

21. threewindow

threewindow

I have a tunnelram on my 468 big block in my 31 model A coupe . Couldn't want anything to perform any better. Starts great, Idles great, winter or summer. I have a 671 on my big block 31 roadster. It works great too, But not any better than the tunnelram.

22. derpr

derpr

think about this, when you out at a show if someone shows up in a tunnel ram car. No big deal, but a blower you can hear the whine. You know what it is. Where its coming from..

Spoggie likes this.
  23. GasserTodd

GasserTodd

The issue for the OP tho is that hes got clearance issues between the engine and the radiator. So a three inch belt isnt going to help him too much and even some 2 inch pulleys and a craft knife on the 3 inch belt (hey Ive done that) may not work either. Its a cool little car as it is, but getting the blower belt in there and keeping the engine temp down will be tough.

If there was room, I would go with the blower every time, but I cant see how its going to fit in that gap.

Spoggie likes this.
  24. Tony

Tony

Been thinking about your question all day. Hahaha
    If i could make it fit and stay cool, i'd go blown....but seriously speaking if thats going to be a huge issue causing you to move the radiator (messing up the proportions of the car) or even have to move the engine back i'd go either 4x2 or 6x2.
    A couple things, in my own dumb opinion, if you go blown its gotta be a cast finish blower and either a 2" drive or multi V-belt (which basically you're on your own to make).
    Although the V-belt set up will pretty much eliminate the whine associated with a blower.....which is one thing most people dig about them.
    I run a original as cast GMC 6-71 with 2" drive on my 32, but i'm strange and wanted it all hidden under a full hood....
    Second blown hot rod i've built and its a hoot! :)
    When done right they are extremely reliable, and monsters when you stand on it.

But, i also have to add thats a great little car as it is!

Tony

25. J scow

J scow
    from Seattle

I think you should keep it simple. I like the low profile dual quad idea. I think your car would really pop with multiple strombergs. My guess is that if you start a blower project now I wont be seeing you at greenwood.

26. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

Tell that to the guys in the 1960's, a stock motor with a mild drive ratio is still a screamer, Blower carbs? hell a good tune on some $20 swap meet holleys and a converted diesel 6-71 an GO!! Hell if you can borrow some lathe time you can make all of your pulleys, then it's just a cover conversion and switching bearings, front cover/snout is the only thing that'll cost real money

27. papajohn

papajohn

Cross ram with two small Holleys and two small frogmouth chrome scoops.

28. bobkatrods

bobkatrods
    from aledo tx

With you on the tunnel ram being a pig, Have had two set ups in my time, you are right you have to know how to tune them, small carbs and airflow. Guys who can't get them to run good aren't tuning right.

29. 6-71

6-71

I have been running GMC blowers on basicly stock engines for about 35 years.I currently have a 6-71 blown 350 in my 39 chevy,and a 4-71 on a stock targetmaster crate engine in my T-bucket. I have an old Holley on the 4-71,and an Edelbrock right out of the box(well actually I bought it used) on the 6-71. You can spend a lot of money if you wat to,but it is not necessary I am currently rebuilding and converting a $40.00 4-71 blower,parts are $89.00 on E-bay.