Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods model a vs 46-48 Ford rear end

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TheTumbleweeds, Nov 6, 2014.

1. TheTumbleweeds

TheTumbleweeds
    from Sweden

Hi all,

Im thinking of a Ford 46-48 rear axle, witch have Open drive, on my model a, to meet a 265chev with 3speed...

is there something to think of?
    I ve found one axle close to me, with model a "brackets" welded on.

Do I need like ladderbars or something else?

(trying upload pic of axle)

Hhappy for advice and Pictures on simular installation

Many thanks

2. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

If it's open drive, wouldn't that be out of a F1 truck, not a car? The F1's were set up for parallel leaf springs and have mounts for them. The one you're looking at may have had these ground off. Does it have the spring hangers from a passenger car on either end or vestiges thereof?

Ladder bars are an option, but a set of rear rods with a torque arm is another option. That's what I'm planning to do with mine.

Something to consider though is that the 46-48 rear ends are wider, so you may want to take some measurements.

3. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

http://www.hotrodworks.com/project_vehicles_view.asp@carid=46.html

Rear Axle drum to drum width:
    NOTE: These width dimensions where measured with 1940 style brakes. Mechanical brakes may differ.
    Year Width Spring mount eye to eye

1928-1931 57.0" 49.5"
    1932-1934 57.75" 47.5"
    1935-1936 59.5"
    1937-1941 59.5" 48.5"
    1942-1948 61.0"

4. TheTumbleweeds

TheTumbleweeds
    from Sweden

5. TheTumbleweeds

TheTumbleweeds
    from Sweden

Its from a pu, and had two springs, but those are gone now, and there is welded brackets for model a spring.

6. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

Measure the distance between the eyes on the brackets and take not of the measurement; it could be anything, but is likely set up for a Model A spring. The width of the rear as per HRW's measuring method should be 61" unless someone modified and narrowed this rear which I doubt. It's probably a 4:10 ratio, but could be something else.

I'd just buy it if the price is right. You can always trade or sell it on if you decide you can't make it work.

7. TheTumbleweeds

TheTumbleweeds
    from Sweden

I think this is a stronger than stock Model a? Is it too Wide for an model a?

8. flathead okie

flathead okie

the model a in my avitar has the 46 f1 pu rear in it. I didn't run fenders.

AModelRobinson and patmanta like this.
  9. AVater

AVater
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Connecticut HAMB'ers

As patmanta noted, without the torque tube present in the open drive unit, using the cross spring you should have a torque arm in place as radius rods alone likely won't hold it properly from twisting.

patmanta likes this.
  10. The stock model A rear is pretty weak and really weak with a SBC. You can mix and match parts to get it close to model A width and have a stronger center. Right now I have '35/'36 axle bells, '41 axle shafts, a center from a '46 truck and it's about 1/2" wider then a model A. The stock rear spring (or a T spring) fits using a bolt on hanger, a modified model A spring perch (someone on here is selling a made one).
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

TheTumbleweeds and patmanta like this.
  11. TheTumbleweeds

TheTumbleweeds
    from Sweden

Nice mix of parts you have there!
    well, I think I buy the axle, and measure the hole wide, and goes on from that point. This has been made for an model a, so maybe, maybe it has been modified.

I have couple of model a perches, I could modify, realy nice sollution there!

12. I have a '48 Mercury rear end under my Roadster in my picture, much to what others say about them being too wide i don't really think so.. and over here by law we have to have safety wheels.. so when i put my '40 wheels in to get the centers pulled and welded into new hoops i'll have them add an inch of backspacing.

I also used the above pictured method to create a spring over setup, however between the backing plate flange and the hanger i used a 1" spacer which gives you the same shackle distance as an original Model A.

patmanta likes this.
  13. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

Oh, I just saw that you're in Sweeden. You should definitely buy that rear end in that case. I would imagine old Ford parts are quite a bit more scarce over there and it WILL work for your build, particularly if you're going fenderless.

14. I should have noted that I'm staying close to a model a width because I'm running fenders, if it's fenderless then width isn't too much of a problem. But I would get it just for the center if nothing else.

patmanta likes this.
  15. TheTumbleweeds

TheTumbleweeds
    from Sweden

Im shooting for fenderless, so thats no problem ;-)

Hey, Im picking up this axle today! I get back with some more pics and measurements

REALY Good answers and inputs from u guys!

16. TheTumbleweeds

TheTumbleweeds
    from Sweden

The rear end is mine now! And I have measured center to center , and have like 48,5" , hopefully will that work to my model A spring. The axle seems really nice, I just LOVE these old banjos! DSC_2026.jpg

patmanta likes this.
  17. TheTumbleweeds

TheTumbleweeds
    from Sweden

Ahh, it was Nice detail for my hotrod build

18. Stock A was 49-1/2"; but 48-1/2" works OK too.

19. TheTumbleweeds

TheTumbleweeds
    from Sweden

Okay, seems good! Nice upgrade I think :)
    then maybe build lake headers with Model A stock tubes ;-)

20. TheTumbleweeds

TheTumbleweeds
    from Sweden

A set of rear rods with a torque arm? Do you have an example of this sollution? I just love when front v-bars (?) almost meet rear v-bar in the middle of chassie

21. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

What do you mean by "v-bar"?
    Are you talking about the radius rods/wishbones? I was referring to rear radius rods. A torque arm is a third member added to the Ford style rear radius rod setup when there is no torque tube or parallel leaf setup. If you search the HAMB or Google it, you should come up with many instances and variations. In essence, you use a bracket to bolt a rod that goes from the rear end to the center crossmember. It should share a similar pivot point to the rear radius rods.

22. TheTumbleweeds

TheTumbleweeds
    from Sweden

Wishbones.. Thats the Word I couldnt find ;-) okey, I google it in HAMB,

Thanks man

patmanta likes this.
  23. TheTumbleweeds

TheTumbleweeds
    from Sweden

Just some machining left, but the mounts is "made" , :) DSC_3177.jpg DSC_3178.jpg DSC_3179.jpg DSC_3181.jpg DSC_3184.jpg

24. CGkidd

CGkidd

Great tech info. I like the info on mixing and matching the parts. Thanks

Sent from my E6810 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app