Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 32 Roadster Body - a new approach. AKA Beetledeuce

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by english gent, Sep 30, 2014.

1. I wasn't sure if that would get lost in translation or not. Glad you got it:)
    You must read it out loud to receive the complement .
    As long as that sofa is in the shop, put your feet up and ponder your accomplishments and plan your next move.

2. bengeltiger

bengeltiger

Lmao! Sofa king!

3. Jogyver

Jogyver

Nice work EG. Its awesome to see the ol Skool craftsmanship you've accomplished without the newer fancy tools. It's great to see those who appreciate your work even if it's a bug. I'm in the same boat. Can't afford a 32 so I'm building a Fiat TOPOLINO out of a bug. I'm only using the doghouse , rest is custom.
    Keep it going.

4. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Hey, EG;
    Thanks for the clarification & the pics on the bodywork. That is the best way to do it. I was getting dizzy from considering just how much work it was to clean the spot/stitch welds front, in-between & back, so's the lead would stick correctly. ;( . Used to be that a shortcut to filling small holes & rust(rot) lines in sheetmetal, was to stuff steel wool behind the area to be leaded, & lead over it. Worked for awhile... Which is why I asked, as I didn't think that is what you were doing.
    Do you use soft solder - & like say maybe resin flux instead of the acid core, to attach the pewter to the steel? I may have missed that comment. I haven't worked w/pewter, except for a little bit in a jewelery class maybe 40 years ago.
    & I think you have the new license plate lettering to ask for when it's time to register it... :D .
    Marcus...

5. jeta12

jeta12

Man .....This just gets BETTER and BETTER!!:)

6. Robert Crosse

Robert Crosse
    from WNY

This is one of the best active build threads....the creative solutions and technical ability is amazing!!!

A question.... I'm watching, have email notification enabled, but nothing coming thru. HAMB is cleared in email. Any help?

7. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

I really am infatuated with this car , there is a local kid here with no money , who wants to learn fabrication, so I sent him a link ... And told him to copy what you are doing..

...one of Two things are going to happen , either he is going to learn a lot and get a hot rod in the process or totally destroy a 200.00 bug body... Either way he's going to learn something!

Anyone have other ideas what to do instead of lead though? ... I had thought of bead rolling strips of sheet metal...weldin in... That's all I came up with

8. Good on you.

As far as beads go, they are either applied or pressed in.
    There's different mediums, and different ways or combinations of those two. Look at my car, i found the beads were applied with the lottsomudandsculpt method.

9. english gent likes this.
  10. english gent

english gent
    from England

I realise the kid has no money, but as I have all the moulds ready made now, I could easily cast him a new set and send them to him.
    There would be some cost involved, but a whole lot cheaper than buying a Brookville or something similar!.
    Also he could get them a few at a time, as and when he needed them.

11. english gent

english gent
    from England

Hi Marcus,
    I do use a soft solder to attach the beads to the bodywork. I use a liquid flux which I paint on first to achieve a good bond. This solution is very acidic and so the whole area needs to be cleaned off thoroughly afterwards with a solution of water and Baking Soda.
    I haven't come across a resin flux, is it worth trying?

12. english gent

english gent
    from England

Hi Robert,
    As far as I can see, all my settings are in the original default position. If there is something I need to check or uncheck please let me know.

13. english gent

english gent
    from England

Thanks Jetal!

14. english gent

english gent
    from England

I'd love to see the progress on the Topolino!

15. english gent

english gent
    from England

I spent a lot of time cleaning up the quarters until I was happy with them. Now I think I've got a decent pair of panels to work with.
    20121205_145612a.jpg 20121206_144510a.jpg 20121206_145656a.jpg 20121206_145716a.jpg 20121208_190632a.jpg

jerseyboy and the metalsurgeon like this.
  16. weps

weps
    from auburn,IN

:)love this thread! keep posting your progress

17. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Hey, EG;
    Don't know about the resin flux. It's in solder for electrical work, etc. Some of the soldering I do at work; A/C stuff, which uses brass, bronze, & copper & steel, I use a paste-type flux that isn't acidic. Also do silver-soldering, but that's a lot of heat! I'll try to remember to grab the name tomorrow for you. I have no clue how it'd work w/pewter - I've never soldered that stuff. If I can find some, I think it'd be interesting to try. Sounds like a good skill to have, esp after watching this thread... :D .
    Marcus...

18. english gent

english gent
    from England

Thanks Marcus,
    I'll do some research too. A non-acidic, paste type flux would be a good alternative.

19. jdownunder

jdownunder

Eg your going great
    Subscribed

Opinions are like assholes every has one

20. Every time I check back you have added even more extraordinary work,obviously the artist eye sees what many of us have stared at over the years and been completely oblivious to the possibilities sitting in front of us.

Making a faux Deuce Roadster from VW scraps? until recently would have been deemed impossible but now I am a believer....HRP

volvobrynk and Markmonty like this.
  21. english gent

english gent
    from England

I am truly flattered by your words. I had hoped that this crazy idea of mine might strike a chord with one or two people. To get your approval makes it all worthwhile.

Max Gearhead, Toymont and volvobrynk like this.
  22. Koz

Koz

I'm loving this thread! So creative. Can't wait to see it assembled the first time.

23. english gent

english gent
    from England

Thanks Koz.

24. JimSibley

JimSibley

I so want to see this little
    Car assembled!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

25. ProMetalShop

ProMetalShop

Great build thread EG. :)

26. captain scarlet

captain scarlet
    from Detroit

Great work. Where in Blighty are you?

Singlefingerspeedshop.com. Detroit

27. marnat3

marnat3

Okay, me too this is what I love to see.

28. And they said you couldn't polish a turd.

29. Nice work English Gent. Looking forward to seeing this come together.