Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Every get sick of it, or burned out?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Barsteel, Nov 4, 2014.

1. trollst

trollst

Yes, but you have to remember that this is a hobby, its supposed to be fun. When it isn't, step away, go shoe shopping with your woman to remind you of what you're missing. I think we all burn out or stall in some way, but if you have some passion for it, it'll come back, and that huge ugly problem you couldn't overcome melts away in five minutes after someone or you.... sees that it wasn't a big deal after all. I've had the dumbest bag of bricks point out a solution that I just couldn't see, sometimes that's all it takes.

2. For everything that doesn't go right - it's not going to be the last. Sucks right? Yes, it does. But we keep coming back. Someone has to. I keep coming back, you should too. Taking a break is normal. Have a beer.

3. 4 pedals

4 pedals
    from Nor Cal

I must be sick. I do his stuff for a living all day, then come home and want to do more. No time in the evening, too tired by the time the kids are in bed. Mostly weekends, at home.

What I do at work and what I do at home are completely different, although supposedly the same thing. At home, I fix stuff, because I'm working class poor. At work I replace parts because that's more warrantable.

My only caveat is, I'm not into sports, or hunting, or any other hobbies. At the root of it, I'm a car guy and nothing else.

Devin

cptn60 likes this.
  4. slammed

slammed

We are spiritual beings having a human experience. The metal toy's that make noise are ego. You must balance the scales. Material fields/material harvests/you rent EVERYTHING. Own? IT owns you. Nothing will go along w/you as you die. That coffin is a bone box of trinkets. If that is beyond your comprehension, the materialistic mind set of the TRIBE that rules mans' ego has you sold out. Cheap trick ain't just a rock band outta Rockford. When this place 'grew up' it also put on a suit & tie.

primeisnotacrime likes this.
  5. ^^^^^^^^I have no idea what you are talking about, but I like your avatar!

We do this because we like it. When you get to the point of not liking it, take a break. No one says that you have to wrench on the project all the time. I have the distributor torn apart on the '35, because I'm not getting any spark out of it. It's been kicking my ass....so I'm gonna let it sit for a day or two and then get back after it. No harm, no foul.

6. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I sold my interest in my shop to my assistant. I am contemplating selling off my personal tools, and packing it in. Cannot make a decent living at it. Work space is too expensive.

MBog likes this.
  7. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

It interesting that you mention electrical problems because I am also pulling my hair out trying to figure out why after changing three starter motors, new battery, new cable to the starter motor, new grounds and cable and a few other things that the Bendix is still sticking every once and a while.

I have taken the starter motor out a few times and checked the distance between the flywheel and the shaft a few times and everything appears fine. All wiring is new and yet same problem.

Sure we all run out of steam from time to time and electrical issues will certainly do that do you.

Jimbo

8. Barsteel, burned out and pissed.?Have you been following my adventures with my 56 buick wagon for the past 2 years .I have gotten a lot of help here on this board. Some times you have to walk away for a few days like they told me on here.So it went from this Bruce. 00o0o_82PxJSvNBPi_600x450-1.jpeg

9. To this now and still working on her. I am going to pickup the rest of the brake lines today so I don't have to do a Hail Mary everytime I come to a stop.LOL. Bruce. 005.JPG

10. MoparTobi

MoparTobi
    from Macon, Ga

I get burnt out sometimes. I love wrenching on cars, it's my passion, been turning wrenches since I was old enough to hold one. I've been into Muscle Mopars since I was little. Now, they're way to expensive for me and I think I've seen everything that can be done to one. Got bored with that, and bought a Model A coupe to switch gears a little. Sometimes, I find it helpful to stop and start a completely different project non car related (house, garden, wood project). Then by the time I'm done with that, I'm happy to wrench on my cars again.

11. Yep, that's why I sold my '49 shoebox that I'd owned for 10 years but still needed a lot of work and bought a running, driving, chopped '51...

...that turned out to be a total rusted out POS. Been working on it for 4 years, probably 4 more to go before it's on the road. I've been having a pretty tough time getting out to the garage lately. :rolleyes:

12. atomickustom

atomickustom

I think most of us burn out at one time or another. My dad gave me the best advice: once a car is drivable, DON'T SELL IT. Sooner or later you'll want it and if it's still sitting in the garage all is well. I would trade my Chevy, but I wouldn't sell it.

13. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

Whenever I get frustrated or roadblocked, I try to switch to something small that I can get a positive result out of in a couple hours, then call it a day... or just call it a day, or week, or fortnight. I've spent a few weekends on the couch in my shop clothes because I just couldn't get up the gumption or got defeated early in the day and needed to retreat and contemplate.

I should probably clean my shop this weekend.

14. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

I try to keep my cars as running projects. I focus on getting it road worthy then take on a series of small improvement projects that can each be accomplished in a short time. Take the car to a cruise night for some inspiration/intimidation and that motivates the next set of improvements.
    The last thing I'd ever do is completely disassemble a car and then sit there staring at a pile of parts and get completely overwhelmed by the magnitude of the project.

15. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

"Been busting my a** for the past year working on several projects..."
    You have too many irons in the fire. Most of us have probably suffered from that fate. Concentrate on one car that's the easiest to make road worthy. If you're short on $ for needed parts or labor for things you can't tackle (like wiring), sell off some excess parts you have weighing you down to provide seed money..
    Once one car is on the road, you can enjoy it while you work on the next car at a less stressful pace.

16. I've been working on and building hot rods for 50 years now and to honestly say I haven't gotten burned out at one time or another would be a lie.

I seem to always have more than one project going at a time,the '54 "Ranch Wagon" suffered at times because of my frustration at times,probably due to the fact that after the death of my dad my work hours almost doubled and I didn't have time to even go in my shop.

Resolving problems that a lot of you guys have faced with mid 50's cars that until I started on this car I had never tackled.

9 years later the car is on the road and we have certainly enjoyed all the hard work that t took to bring it back to life.

When I did finally finish the wagon I made the decision to hold off on starting any new car projects anytime soon and do some much needed maintenance on my small fleet and start working on the old Shasta camper,but I'm not in any rush.

I'm at a point in my life that I have more time to spend doing what I want in the shop,,which I love. HRP

SanDiegoHighwayman likes this.
  17. CGkidd

CGkidd

I have gotten to the point a couple time. Just take time away from your projects and visit family, friends, maybe go to a different kind of car show or racing to get a different perspective. I have a couple younger guys I know that I will stop by there garage to see their projects and help give them a hand. That seems to help me.

18. How true,I remember Deuce Roadster relating the story that he too had fallen victim of too many projects and nothing to drive,he was 5 years into the building his '32 Ford Roadster and didn't have the money to finish it and as burnt out!

A elderly guy standing in Randy's shop one day looked at all the project cars sitting around,several big block engines,4 speed transmissions,stacks of mag wheels and speed parts and told him "Pick one car you really want to build and sell all the other cars and parts and you will have the money for your dream car.

Randy told me the next day he made a few call to guys that had expressed interest in a few of the cars and parts and within 6 months he had the money to paint & upholster the car and do it right...he was driving the car in less than a year...finished! HRP

abe lugo likes this.
  19. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

To quote my friend Steve from another board I'm on, "Sometimes you fix the car, sometimes the car fixes you". Everybody gets burned out from time to time, but sometimes just fixing something small or different will re-light the fire. I only have a open carport to work under, so cold weather time I don't get much done. It could be worse, I could have to do it under a tree in the yard. I tend to get my cars running good and driving, then slack off a while and enjoy them before I tear into the bodywork and paint. That's the point I'm at now on the Linc, I'm enjoying driving it, all the while planning the upgrades to power steering, A/C, and new paint. When money and/or time is tight, I remind myself I'm not in a hurry, things will get done sooner or later. And I still have my 1955 International tractor and my 1986 Vette to share wrench time with if I get too bored.

20. boo

boo
    from stuart,fl.

i should get a blue ribbion for starts.today my son snuck up and took a pix of me starting a NEW project and put it on facebook[boo lowery], today earlier i took my 40 coupe to a mechanic to find a short, i took the 40 apart in 1979 , had a friend finish it for me, had 195 miles on it today. the 34 in fb pix has a boss 429 eng, needs 2 new jets in carbs to driveit. rather start a new one . the car on the rack is a 34 rdst barn find that has all body work done was waiting today for the adapter from wilcap to put my 331 cad eng to ford od. . rather start a new one. when i picked up the 40 from my friend i dropped off the 1934 barn find cabriolet that i started for my wife in 2001, he was painting it today. rather start anotherone. in the barn is an amazing scratch built sports car i started in 1991 it's almost done. rather start another one. also the 1935 keenan wynn roadster is setting where i left it in 1997. rather start another one. just put a new motor in my model A but it needs front end work. rather start anotherone. month ago was at my neph. in AL., and bought a 67 F-100, he called yesterday and said he got the tag and paperwork. UH OH. the one i just started is a 27 t coupe barn find chopped 5'', flthd. linc. trans, columbia rear spread wheels in pix are for it. WHAT"S NEXT???? i'm tired think i'll hit the hay....

21. Slopok

Slopok

When you gonna run outa room before you start another one?:)

22. Barsteel

Barsteel
    from Monroe, CT

Yes, I DO have too many projects...I actually just reduced the herd from 6 to 4, and I'm still trying to get rid of the '41 Chevy coupe, but no one seems to want it, or at least at the price I'm asking. I've resigned myself to the fact that I'm going to lose my ass on it. I learned long ago that shiny paint and a straight body will sell a car, while rarely will 99% of potential buyers appreciate and value all of the time, effort, and expense that went into a suspension/drivetrain upgrade if the car doesn't look like much (not so much people on the HAMB)...but I did it anyway.

Going to bring the car to the Lake Compounce swap meet to see if I get any interest. If it doesn't go there, then I'll have to decide what to do with it.

Chris

23. boo

boo
    from stuart,fl.

slopok; that aint all, got tired of hunt pec typing. 1978 schoolbus made to camper,stained glass,pecky cypress, brass, tile flrs,needs biger eng.,got one 6wks ago, still on trailer,,1929 pkup made from parts, wife & i were going to tour the US with , wants diff seats first,, 29 phaeton we drove back from CA in, borgwarner od selinoid seal leaking oil,, wife's 85 280 SL grey market car tire leaks down& has bad shok bushng wont drive it. 1969 ford talledaga has leaking power steering line,, wife says i have VD [vehicular disease].. rather start a new one. this is only my auto sickness, friend is a clinical cycoligest, says this is called the hunter syndrone, you work untill you can picture the finished project ,then you move on..YEP outta space, just drew plans for 2car gar. at my hse. years ago in one issue of streetroder there were 3 of my cars that i started and sold, chopped 50 olds fstbk, 32 3w, 1930"s sprint car[the willcox special]. i have finished a few....

24. nooch

nooch

I hear you mate - I've been busting my ass over the last fews weeks getting my car together for a friends wedding and I'm at the end of my rope! Everyone I've had to rely on to follow through on their work has screwed me, taking my money really quick and doing the work real slooooow, pushing the deadline closer and closer. Seems like customer service has gone down the toilet and it makes managing a project really difficult (sigh) rant over.

25. nh-lead-man

nh-lead-man

Building a car or truck is stressful No parts NO MONEY no time and no knowledge.To the guy with the wireing problem find a guy that knows his stuff for help pay him or work on his motor or trans ect, and barter it off.for sure your not the only guy that owns the same car Use a different approach to how you begin where you stop.old schoolelectric is pretty simple throw in a computer modual and the headaches START.Good luck

26. Ulu

Ulu
    from CenCal

IMO it's San Francisco that's too expensive. Around here it's a different world. Some might not like it, but it's sure easier to find a place.

27. Ulu

Ulu
    from CenCal

Ya know I tried this and it never works for me. I can't drive a car and restore it at the same time. It's too much more work that way.

28. 57countrysedan

57countrysedan
    from NY

O yea! Got real burnt out messing with my wagon. Was my first hot rod and im kind of stubborn so I had to learn on my own. And of course it was the hard way. In the end I kept my head down and just wrestled past all the problems and learned a lot along the way. In the end I made it a reliable car that I took everywhere this summer. Ended up selling it and got a 61 impala now but learned lots so this car has been fun so far.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

29. gas & guns

gas & guns

Yup, it happens. Got an O.T. muscle car in the garage. Bought it, drove it home and cut it apart. Welded all back together,put it in primer real close to paint. Stood there while it was raining cats and dogs outside, watching my roof leaking all over my primer. Had to change my priorities.
    That was 15 yrs. ago. Sometimes life gets in the way. Sometimes burnout. Sometimes money shortage.
    The last two kids just got married off. One in Texas, one in Illinois. Took all my project money for those two trips. But we had fun. This is life and it ain't nothing but a fart in the wind.
    Drug home a 41 ford coupe in May, but that will be on the back burner till I get some paint on the primer.
    I did finish my gas pump, hung up my sign on my gas station restore project.
    But life goes on...... Shit I just remembered I gotta get the guns sighted in this weekend, only 9 days till deer season!
    Don't get depressed, it's just life, pull some holeshots.

30. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

It comes and goes, but I'm never far from the hobby since my daily is a '65. I've been gone building guns for a while now, tons of welding, mill, and lathe work so it isn't too different, but it is a fun change