Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Truck into a coupe- My next pet project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 31Vicky with a hemi, Dec 9, 2013.

1. Thanks, watch to your Heart's content.

There's not always that one I'm the crowd is there ? Lol

Yes it is an art, and in the past I've really busted my ass for various shops but it was still fun and they paid me :)

Same to you sir !
    Your build is awesome.

Thanks man, sorry about monopolizing your day though. Maybe you can take something from here and it help you make that time up.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  2. Hey Vicky......three words. Ready ?

Clase Azul Reposado

Get it.

It will help your air saw and your air guitar. No ice, maybe slightly chilled....if needed. Its like nothing you have ever tasted, hands down.

Won't find it local, but it will come in the mail. This is actually the only expert advice I can offer to this build.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2014
  3. Ulu

Ulu
    from CenCal

Hmmmm, I've got an International script and an old Nash badge somewhere. Either one would set 'em scratching.
    Unfortunately, neither is in perfect condition though. Also a awesome Ram hood ornament, but it's really pitted.

Nothing quite good enough for this build.

4. gas & guns

gas & guns

Been checking up on ya every few days.
    Great build. I'm liking the split window idea.

5. StLouisSled

StLouisSled

Just found and read this build...WOW
    It's been discussed many times before, but ...I would love to be a fly on the headliner listening to all the "know-it-alls" arguing about what it is.
    It is for sure a rare, one of a kind 1934 Badsville Special

31Vicky with a hemi likes this.
  6. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Hey, 31V;
    Like the split rear window idea. Looks right. On the proportions, would raising the upper-outer corners by about 1/4->1/2" give you the same approx curve as the top of the roofline, as viewed from the rear?
    [​IMG]
    On the tail lights, I suppose forming a raised (somewhat like the reveal below the taillight), or maybe inset, (similar to the rear window area) edging (reveal) around the lens, might give it that factory-stamped look. Since there isn't much room twixt the lower pan reveal & the top edge, maybe just a raised area (reveal extended upwards in the taillight area only, so's no separation between the taillight mounting surface & the lower reveal). Wish I could photochop, be easier than trying to describe in words only. Do kinda like the slits, as they mimic the rear window. Just gotta decide on the actual shape.
    Marcus...

7. Exceptional work................and lots of it! Makes my 34 build look more like a common restoration. Love the back of the top. I'd have to go with an original 34-style back glass. The split window has the wrong curves IMHO. Maybe if it [split window] was dropped a couple inches lower and was straight-across on the bottom I'd like it better

31Vicky with a hemi likes this.
  8. Thanks again moose!!!
    I like this arrangement to start thinking out loud with.
    It will get some real life refining, I'll drop the windows a little bit more as a whole plus drag the corners down a touch more, work the radius a little and probably make them a little wider.

image.jpg

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  9. glrbird

glrbird

Winner! Winner! Chicken Dinner!

10. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

For tail lights I think a pair of 47- 48 Buick tail lights mounted horizontally would look killer. :)

buick.png

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  11. [​IMG]
    Though about those,
    They look good on Bass's coupe.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  12. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Absolutely, that's where I saw them. They look really good.
    Larry.

13. More thinking out loud -
    image.jpg
    I like this ^^^^ with planned refinements.

image.jpg
    35-36 ford coupe back window- 30 second drop and look ^^^^
    Needs dropped and chopped to start with but should be quick and easy, it almost fits pretty good as it sits.
    Maybe it might be ok but I like the above split much better.

image.jpg

30 second ductape split. ^^^^^
    Already looks better

14. Thanks for the heads up. I'm going to hunt some down.

I know just the place for the ram hood ornament

Thanks for checking in and the compliments.
    I like the split window too.

Lol, I like that :)

Keep them ideas coming NRGWIZARD,
    The shape is coming soon.

Thanks Rocky, don't discount your build as they all take plenty of work. I have some revisions planned for the windows. I just needed a visual shot of Ether

15. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

I know you didn't ask, but, I like the unsplit rear window better. JMO

16. We'll let me make the cardboard templates with the planned adjustments for the split window. Then you'll have a better look of what I see.
    I hope to exceed your expectations again. The photoshop is close but I feel bad to keep asking moose to tweak it. I need to learn that photoshop :)

Last edited: Nov 5, 2014
  17. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

If you try to learn Photoshop, you won't have time for real metalwork.
    Seriously, that stuff is a time eater. :D

18. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

Your metal work is way too good to spend time learning photoshop, stick to the stuff you do oh so well! :cool::rolleyes::D

19. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Hey, 31V;
    Waiting to see what you come up with. The ford coupe opening isn't bad, I like the ducttape split. What I'd like to see is how it would look w/the lower edge of the rear window opening lowered to = about as much as the middle of the ducttape split, & the top of the rear window opening chopped down to the point where the ducttape split starts to curve out. Cardboard & a touch of spray paint for a quick visual? The top of the opening arc doesn't seem to follow the roofline, but I know that isn't finished yet, & not sure of where you are going w/that). Slightly pancaked or more rounded bubble-top style?
    I like the sideways teardrop taillights. Another one that might work, although it's rather short, is the mid-trunk-mounted taillight on the ~'48 Chrysler I think its' almost heart-shaped, w/o the dip,IIRC. Early 50's Hudson might do it too, but that one's easily id'd. (Hopefully I'm not getting my taillight shaped mixed up). I've seen another (very) oldie that is close to the splitwindow look, but I can't remember which one. IIRC, it was an odd-ball low-production make, = probably why I liked it... :D . & of course, there is the ~'41 Stude, but I don't think there is enough curvature in the body to lay it sideways???
    At the rate you are going here, this thing won't have enough of any orig metal in it, to be called anything other than "modified flat sheet-steel"... :D . Watch out - you're becoming a coach-builder... :D .
    Marcus...

20. toreadorxlt

toreadorxlt
    from Nashua, NH

Keep up the good work

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

21. Not quiet right but better.
    image.jpg
    Still off but a little better on top
    image.jpg
    Right and wrong direction at the same time
    image.jpg
    There's the look.
    image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg
    image.jpg

Should look like it all came from the same design team.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2014
    oliver westlund and VANDENPLAS like this.
  22. brady1929

brady1929

Awesome job. Not really loving the split window. Sorry.

23. George

George

Hard to say witch looks better, but there's something to be said for the better visibility out of the car w/o the split.

24. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I have to say that I'm not getting a good feeling from your last split window design.

I get where you are going trying to match the general shape of the tail lights etc., but to me they just look off and wrong.

I think that in order to pull it off and make it look reasonably right that you would have to abandon the desire to mimic the shape of the tail lights and go with something that would better compliment the style of your side windows.

Something more like what appears on your Photo shopped pictures.

That being said I still like your quick mockup of the 35-36 Ford coupe back window.

It would be a shame to put something in as a back window that just doesn't fit or even come close to the design theme of the other windows in the car.

Just my 2 cents or so ;)
    Larry

25. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

X2.....only one car ever built that has split rear window that I love, 63 Stingray. No offense and not knocking your absolutely stunning design choices you've already made in this build by any means, JMO

26. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I think the blue tape is moving in the right direction, maybe just not quite as wide ?

27. I'm not sure what you guys see or how you "look" but this entire car has a bullet shape repeated over and over and over again every place there is to look.

It's there if you want to look

If you were to look at a direct overhead silhouette, from the tip of the grill chin to the tail pan is a smooth bullet shape. A side view silhouette- from the bottom rockers to the roof around to the tail pan is the same shape, except for a notch where the front and rear windshield is. The grill has a bullet silhouette, the hood is partial and incorporating but reversing the same curves, the drops from the hammer forms when placed together are bullet shaped and that means the bullet curves are in there. The wheel spokes, the windows, the side windows actually have the same curves on the ends but there's a section added in other words cut a bullet in half and spread the halves, same with the windshield corners when brought together form a double headed bullet. That's what I see.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  28. toreadorxlt

toreadorxlt
    from Nashua, NH

oval rear window! haha

oliver westlund likes this.
  29. Pontiac rear window :)
    Have an extra one ?

I drove a big old box van around (for way too long) that didn't have any rear window.
    So maybe I'll just get a few windows printed up on that magnetic stuff and swap them out every once in a while

oliver westlund likes this.