Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Path of the welders choice

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by K.L, Nov 3, 2014.

1. K.L

K.L

So, I understand that the topic may sound alittle like a cheesy fantasy book title but don't be afraid!

Basically I'm a young guy who's fresh meat when it comes to hot rodding and cars, atleast the DIY part of it.
    I'm attending a 1 year welding class that goes over TIG, MIG/MAG, MMA and Gas.

I'm wondering what types of welding I'll be using for the most part when dealing with traditional hot rod building.

2. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Most of them were built with a oxyacetylene torch and a stick welder. Sheet metal and bodywork were usually brazed.

Nobody would use such primitive means now that MIG and TIG are available but some great cars were built with so called primitive equipment.

loudbang likes this.
  3. Mig and Tig mostly now a days. You'll also use the torch for heating and bending some stuff.
    -Pat

4. drtybiker

drtybiker
    from florida

Yes that torch is your best friend I still use it alot more then most people would , I just love to weld with coat hangers and gas....

loudbang and 33sporttruck like this.

5. fatkoop

fatkoop

In a hurry? MIG. Want very solid, great looking welds? TIG Your world begins and ends with "traditional"? oxy-acy. or stick. I use all types on different occasions, just depends on what you're doing, what type of metal, and how good the weld needs to be.

loudbang likes this.
  6. It is good to be able to do it all , and have all the equipment .

loudbang likes this.
  7. K.L

K.L

Thanks for all the replies.
    When I say "traditional" I mean traditional as in looks and performance. I know there's alot of mechanical tips and tricks from the early days that is still used tho.

I've heard and seen alot of good stuff about the TIG!
    I'm planning on becoming a full-time welder and stick seems to be where I want to go but I guess I'll try to master TIG and MIG aswell.

8. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

A lot of the high end metal fabricators still use gas welding to weld sheet metal, even aluminum. Don't be too quick to discount the quality of the welds, and ability to fine finish them by hammer welding!

9. The37Kid

The37Kid

Learn to gas weld well first. Bob

cptn60 likes this.
  10. K.L

K.L

Any particular reason why?

11. gpohl6

gpohl6

Learning to gas weld teaches you to create and control the "puddle" which helps greatly when transitioning to TIG (at least in my experience). But note, I'm a hobbyist and NOT a trained welder by trade.

12. gpohl6

gpohl6

Learning to gas weld teaches you to create and control the "puddle" which helps greatly when transitioning to TIG (at least in my experience). But note, I'm a hobbyist and NOT a trained welder by trade.

13. K.L

K.L

I've started out with the TIG already and kinda got the hang of how the puddle control works.
    Takes alot of practice and patience for sure.

14. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There's a couple things that you may or may not be told about TIG but this is how I deliever the message to those few I've taught. 1st, LOOK ONLY AT THE WELD (or puddle). There's a lot going on outside that helmet. The torch, the wire, the parts, lots to look at, BUT DON'T. 2nd, YOU'RE "DRIVING". You're working the pedal which increases or decreases the heat (arc). You don't leave every stop sign at full throttle, you don't start every weld at full tilt either. Add those 2 things into your own self control and you'll get the feel in no time. For me, and maybe for you and others, I found that getting the hang of aluminum made me a better steel welder with the TIG. It's all about control. There's places where an O/A torch is better like custom aluminum stuff. I used to do O/A on most sheet metal repairs, then I picked up a TIG and never looked back. Again, for my needs/wants, I get less work after the weld vs O/A. Traditional? Sure it is, but so is a dirt floor or gravel driveway and I don't work in those conditions either. Just a smartass way of making a point, no offense to those who torch vs TIG.

15. ..once you learn/master torch welding; the others come easier.

16. If you are comfortable TIG welding the rest will come very easy.
    What you could need when building a car.
    1. gas weld (DON'T BRAZE ANYTHING) solder, coat hanger welding, hammer welding, shrinking, cutting.
    2. arc weld (cast iron, steel, sheet metal-that is how I learned)
    3. MIG (aluminum-spool, steel)
    4. TIG (aluminum, SS, steel)
    5. Plasma cutting
    6. everything else

17. squirrel

squirrel

There are indeed a few places where brazing is appropriate on a hot rod.

18. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Am I the only one who doesnt know of MAG or MMA welding? both are new terms to me.

Personally. If I had my pick of machines I'd have stick for outdoor type work (repairs that dont fit into the shop)
    MIG for being lazy an fast. OA because you never realize how handy a torch is until you dont have one and TIG for the pretty stuff. Once I got the hang of TIG I now prefer it for the most part, it takes more time but what nice welds and deep penetration you can get. I like the driving annalogy, similar to my style I learned, and yes once I welded a few miles of aluminum I did get better at steel even.

All styles have a place .

19. squirrel

squirrel

MMA is a fancy name for stick welding.

20. I'm an older fuddy duddy, but my first welding course was stick, and it will give you a foundation to build your knowledge of all the other types of welding equipment. I have an old stick welder that I use for heavy work, not much need to weld 1/2" plate on cars, but it is cheap, an oxy-propane cutting torch, (no welding tips) a little Lincoln MIG to weld everything else.(steel) If I was going to do more body work, I would get a TIG.
    If you really want to stay traditional, they used to braze with a stick welder and a carbon arc torch.

21. aaggie

aaggie

I first struck an arc with a stinger and rod when I was about ten years old and have never stopped learning. Over the years I went to some formal classes but mostly learned what I needed to know from asking questions, reading books and practicing. You will eventually use all types at different times but I mostly fabricate things like frames with MIG. Brackets and things made on the bench are TIG, heating and bending with OXY and cutting out shapes are Plasma cutter.
    Welding Aluminum is the hardest and I still haven't mastered it. Laying on your back under a car and TIG welding with the foot pedal wedged against a jack stand is good at teaching patience.

22. K.L

K.L

Thanks alot.
    The school uses TIG's that use a button on the pistol instead of a pedal.

Haven't gotten to aluminium yet but I am doing upside down TIG for the moment actually.
    Key words are practice and patience, loads of it.

Seems like I'll be needing all types of welding equally much then.

23. to answer your initial question, many, many cars have been built entirely with a MIG welder. its the most obvious choice for most hobbyists.

there are a handful of guys who rely solely on TIG for their own personal reasons.

I'm one who believes that there is a best process for every job. therefore i own a MIG a TIG and and Oxy/Acet rig.

i still need to invest in a miro torch and a plasma cutter.

that being said, at a minimum i would count on a MIG for all of your structural and a good gas rig for all of your heating, bending and cutting.

24. FTF

FTF

You didn't say where you were going to school, however if you plan on making a living at welding the skill set required is basic stick, tig, mig. Pipe welders in the field can draw up to 40.00 per hr. Here in Tulsa one shop is paying 30.00. Structural steel pays a little less. Are you willing to travel ?
    Any of the skills you learn in school will transfer to Hot Rodding.

25. UA_HoBo

UA_HoBo
    from Oswego NY

the one thing noody has said what so ever here is EDUCATE. Learn a skill that can carry you in the world as well as your hobby. Welding has a high demand. sure, PIPE Welding has a huge demand. There are welders and then there are WELDERS. where would you like to fall? I am a 3rd geratetion Union Pipefitter and i has done all of us well.

26. UA_HoBo

UA_HoBo
    from Oswego NY

the one thing noody has said what so ever here is EDUCATE. Learn a skill that can carry you in the world as well as your hobby. Welding has a high demand. sure, PIPE Welding has a huge demand. There are welders and then there are WELDERS. where would you like to fall? I am a 3rd geratetion Union Pipefitter and i has done all of us well.

27. K.L

K.L

I'm from Stockholm Sweden and I haven't made up my mind about the traveling part yet.
    Stick is what I initially wanted to focus on and try for work but I'm not sure now that I've heard alot about the MIG, TIG and gas being used alot in hot rodding. I mean, it would be really handy to use the skills I'd pick up on the job and use it in the garage but I guess stick doesn't really fit into the picture.

28. prpmmp

prpmmp

Very true!!Before I retired from construction(Union Carpenter) i would always check out the welders on job sites, the Pipefitters would make incredible welds with stick and OA that would rival TIG!!! Pete

29. chrisp

chrisp

I learned gas, TIG and MIG/MAG some 22 years ago.
    As a bodyman I've never used stick welding, gas and MIG/MAG yes and 90% of the time it was MAG. This year I re-learned TIG, since it's the first shop I work for that does have one. Now I use the TIG probably 70% of the time, it depends on how fast you want the job done (plug welds are also easier with the MIG/MAG). I see TIG as just an electric torch in the way it welds, but really more accurate, if you gas weld you can pick up TIG real easy.

30. The37Kid

The37Kid

I learned how to gas weld first years ago, then stick welding, and later Heli Arc for aluminum. I really liked welding Bugatti bodywork and other sports car bodies, and could weld aluminum castings too. To me all three of these types of welding share a common "puddle" that you the welder control. MIG is in its own world that I don't understand or like. Why you have a lump of crap on top of the metal you are welding that has to be ground off I'll never understand. Bob

Ricks Garage likes this.