Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects A 1933 Ford 5w coupe from a 4 door sedan...

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Fordgasser1, Jun 4, 2011.

1. Fordgasser1

Fordgasser1
    from Jersey

33coupepics 017 (Small).jpg 33coupepics 018 (Small).jpg 33coupepics 019 (Small).jpg 33coupepics 021 (Small).jpg 33coupepics 024 (Small).jpg 33coupepics 029 (Small).jpg
    Got a little shop time in today. Tig welded in the small patch I made and started the metalfinishing work. Using the TIG welder does make the hammer and dolly work SO much easier. Less warpage,softer weld bead and less heat affected zone in the weld make the smooth go much faster. The rest of the panel has a TON of old damage from the years of track racing which I began to hammer and dolly out some of the wrinkles.Lots of stretched metal means alot of shrinking work to be done. The next week is going to be nothing but straightening this old sheetmetal out! In the last few pics I use a piece of 80 grit sandpaper wrapped over a large chuck of aluminum to find the high spots. The surface rust comes in handy to indicate these areas ha ha! A few more pictured show several hours worth of shrinking with hammering off-dolly. More sanding shows the smoothing process at work. Not very exciting to look at but I wanted to get this ironed out the best I can with the panel off the car. Makes it easier to hammer and dolly the wrinkles out..More work on this will be needed. Can't wait to get this done so I can get them mounted on the car!

2. oztinbasher

oztinbasher
    from oz

Great work, I love seeing cars that most people would pass over being rebuilt.
    Cheers Steve

3. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

Keep going, you are doing a great job!

4. Great build thread keep the updates coming.

5. slackerAl

slackerAl
    from Chicago Il

Looks great. I know Eggleston Kustoms did this but with a 34 four door into a coupe if you go to his web site and look for the car he built Panic attack he has some good pictures of the build here is his web site http://www.egglestonkustoms.com/projects2011.html 34coupenew2.jpg also here is the finished car.

kiwijeff likes this.
  6. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

How are planning on removing the rust from the quarter panels?

7. bigorangetruck

bigorangetruck
    from TX

Just fantastic. I too have wondered about this conversion and with this thread it all seems do-able!! Thank for the inspiration and great pics. Can't wait to see it finished! Off the couch and to the garage I go....

8. Fordgasser1

Fordgasser1
    from Jersey

Thank you! I got more work done today should have some pics loaded tomorrow.

I've seen this website and they do awesome work!

Not sure.. I may lightly blast them or chemically treat them..Or not?

It is Do-able! I'm one of several guys doing these conversions on the HAMB.Check them out and get to work! ha ha!

9. Fordgasser1

Fordgasser1
    from Jersey

33coupepics 004 (Small).jpg 33coupepics 003 (Small).jpg 33coupepics 005 (Small).jpg Making progress on the '33 now that Halloween is over and my girlfriend is away for a week. working on the 1/4's a bit trying to smooth the wrinkles out.Lightly ran it under the english wheel to smooth out some of the high spots.Some off-dolly hammering to shrink high spots.More shrinking/dollying will need to be done but I wanted to get these mounted up.

Nailhead A-V8 likes this.
  10. Fordgasser1

Fordgasser1
    from Jersey

33coupepics 006 (Small).jpg 33coupepics 008 (Small).jpg 33coupepics 009 (Small).jpg 33coupepics 010 (Small).jpg Stock 5 window 1/4's are stepped off the B pillar to fit flush w/the door. You can see how big the gap is on the 4 door B pillar. My old race panels had the stepped portion cut off so I decided to cut and form some 1/8th in steel strap to take up the gap. Once these are all welded up I'll be able to tune up the door gaps if needed with a grinder.

11. Fordgasser1

Fordgasser1
    from Jersey

33coupepics 004 (Small).jpg 33coupepics 002 (Small).jpg 33coupepics 003 (Small).jpg Here's the passenger side.

12. Fordgasser1

Fordgasser1
    from Jersey

33coupepics 008 (Small).jpg 33coupepics 007 (Small).jpg 33coupepics 013 (Small).jpg Tacked welded the 1/4's to the B pillars and started looking at building a mount for the trunk hinges. I'll run supports up from the floor to the sides of the hinge mount. I'm thinking about putting in a 4 or 6 point roll bar and would like to tie this into the rear bars. Now would be a good time to fab the rollbar with the roof off but didn't have any tubing. I'm going to figure this out before the roof goes on to make welding easier.Tack welded the top panel for look at trunk alignment.

brEad and 62hotcat like this.
  13. 562roadster

562roadster

Loving this thread! Nice job

If you have any extra b-pillars or cowl pieces left over that you'd like to sell please let me know. I'm trying to save a coupe body

14. Fordgasser1

Fordgasser1
    from Jersey

33coupepics 001 (Small).jpg 33coupepics 002 (Small).jpg 33coupepics 003 (Small).jpg 33coupepics 005 (Small).jpg 33coupepics 006 (Small).jpg 33coupepics 007 (Small).jpg 33coupepics 008 (Small).jpg 33coupepics 009 (Small).jpg I turned my attention elsewhere while I was thinking about what to do with the hinge mount/rollbar dilema. The A pillars were rusted away where they met the rocker panel and subrails. Now that the B pillars are solid I was able to cut the DS door loose and work on the lower A-pillar. I had a piece of 18 gage that was bent into a channel for some other project that would be a good starting point. After cutting one side off,I used the stretcher to make it curve. Then I sliced it to make it follow the outer contour while still keeping the inner curve. Added a filler piece and welded it up.. Much grinding and sanding later and the pillar is solid now.

Atwater Mike, rpm56 and Nailhead A-V8 like this.
  15. Fordgasser1

Fordgasser1
    from Jersey

Thank you! I have two extra cowls and some windshield/roof sections that I will sell once the chop is done on this car. pm me and let me know what you need.

16. wedjim

wedjim
    from Kissimmee

I'm not sure what Pat Pryor did, but your car is looking great either way! lol

I didn't see what materials your welding with for all the grinding needed after?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

sonic03bluegt likes this.
  17. onekoolkat1950

onekoolkat1950

Nice job.

18. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

You continue to do everything right on this build! Great work!

19. Fordgasser1

Fordgasser1
    from Jersey

Ha ha! Pat is a friend of mine..A guy was handing these out at TROG. inside joke,really nothing against Pat.
    My mig started acting up and I snotted up the welds pretty good..so alot of grinding to make it look better

Thanks! love your roadster!

Thanks man!

20. Fordgasser1

Fordgasser1
    from Jersey

33coupepics 012 (Small).jpg
    trying to visualize it with a roof chop..Can't wait!

brEad and Anderson like this.
  21. Angry Frenchman

Angry Frenchman

doing what most people think is impossible, very nice job!

22. gonzo

gonzo

Great work, my favorite part so far is this.
    pat.JPG

62hotcat likes this.
  23. Fordgasser1

Fordgasser1
    from Jersey

24. Fordgasser1

Fordgasser1
    from Jersey

Thanks!

25. 32coop

32coop
    from Australia

Wow I love these builds. Great skills. Subscribed.

26. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Lookin killer!! Nice work George!

27. Fordgasser1

Fordgasser1
    from Jersey

Thanks 32coop!

Thanks Andy! High praise coming from the man who inspired me to take on this project! If my coupe turns out half as cool as yours did,I'll be satisfied.

28. Cowtown Speed Shop

Cowtown Speed Shop
    from KC

I don't Know how I missed this thread, As these kind of builds are my favs and also the most fun. Also you are doing a hell of a good job with this build. Also It might sound crazy to some but one of the coolest things about this build is your quarter panels, At least IMO anyhow, I would look at it like this, Instead of turning a 4 door into a coupe, You are fixing a old coupe racecar using a 4 door for parts...LOL And just think of all the really cool racing and fun that your coupe has seen and been in, That alone would make me smile everytime I got behind the wheel. I wonder how many times it took the checkered Flag in it's Glory days....Anyhow looks like the right guy is fixing it and it will be awesome...

Last edited: Nov 6, 2014
    kiwijeff likes this.
  29. drumyn29

drumyn29

WOW, I just found this!!

Takes a lot of talent to build this.

30. "Tacked welded the 1/4's to the B pillars and started looking at building a mount for the trunk hinges. I'll run supports up from the floor to the sides of the hinge mount. I'm thinking about putting in a 4 or 6 point roll bar and would like to tie this into the rear bars. Now would be a good time to fab the rollbar with the roof off but didn't have any tubing. I'm going to figure this out before the roof goes on to make welding easier.Tack welded the top panel for look at trunk alignment."
    I made up a 4 point bolt-in bar for my 5 window that [after removing the rear tinwork] tilts forward and comes out the passenger door. If you're interested, most of the build/installation is covered in my thread.
    Makes it so much easier to do the finish welds on the bar and it's removable to do interior upholstery work. Can be painted or chromed and re-installed. 34rollbarjimmy.jpg 34rearwall3.jpg

brEad likes this.