Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects B is for Build - Olds Powered 34

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Speedy Canuck, Feb 26, 2013.

1. Looks great! Drive her out for ROG next year!

2. Last fall, I thought I'd settled on a plan to have the headlights mounted off the shock mounts. In posts 87 and 129, you can see what I had planned. However, when Neil emailed me pictures of the headlight mock up, my idea went out the window. This was the first picture I saw, and it woke me up in a hurry. I really liked the look.

[​IMG]

When I saw the second picture however, my thoughts from last fall came back.

[​IMG]

My reason for planning to mount them off the shock mounts was to save clutter on the frame rails. I had concerns that, from the side, the shock mounts, shocks, headlight mounts and headlight wires would make the frame look too cluttered. I decided to sleep on it and see how I felt about the look the next day.
    The more I looked at the pictures, the more the headlight placement grew on me. I liked the aggressive look of hanging almost right off the front.
    After some additional pictures, I was sold on the new placement. I think Neil nailed it, and they're going to look really killer when finalized.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

With the 3" drop axle under the truck, I just need to get the 5.50 front tires and I think the stance will be dead on for what I was after.

[​IMG]

sko_ford, Hotrodmyk and gwhite like this.
  3. There won't be any burnouts this fall. I'm hoping that will be a different story by next summer though!
    Thanks man! I'd love to make the trek down to ROG. Not sure if I'll be able to hit it next fall, but 2016 is a definite. Need to make sure the bugs are ironed out before a 1,200 mile round trip run.

It was great meeting you and your brother there this year though. Hope to see you there again.

4. Looks really good. Man lots of truck builds on here lately I like it! Truck beds are the worst they are always beat to shit.:(:)

5. bgbdlinc

bgbdlinc

....sure like that thing in bare metal and the headlight placement is spot on, AJ. I, for one, love cluttered but well thought out chassis work exposing a whole bunch of purely functional pieces. It's looking like a great Christmas present....when do you drag it back?

6. ^^Tasty.

Really diggin' this!

7. Good to see progress on your truck again!!!

8. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

What FlowMan said X2.

"I need my mirror boy"

9. Look is right on. I like it.

10. waxhead

waxhead
    from West Oz

11. They sure are. Truck beds tend to get used hard and put away wet.
    haha I knew you'd like the bare metal David. But don't get any ideas, I don't have the patience to scotchbrite this thing every week like @Bass had to do with his coupe in bare metal. As for the headlights, I really do like them. I spent a while looking for the right shape and size of headlight that I wanted, and with them slung right over the horns, I'm happy with the attitude they provide.
    With luck, it'll be back in the garage this weekend. I just have to finalize some details. Have to finish cleaning out the garage as well to make room for it again! haha
    Thanks Gary! Saw your thread this morning as well. Things are looking good on both our fronts. Course, I may be biased by my love for commercial grilles... @Ford Mike can attest to that.
    I feel the same way. The enthusiasm is starting to build back up. Lots of sanding and smoothing ahead of me, but I'm looking to drive this thing next summer.
    Thanks guys!

gwhite likes this.
  12. Headlight placement is CRITICAL. Looks like it rolled right off the pages of a Don Montgomery book...you nailed it!
    Whitey Johnson 1940.jpg

13. I can't take any credit at all for headlight placement. That's all @Candy-Man's doing. But you're right! Thanks for that photo reference. Old is gold :D

loudbang likes this.
  14. Yep headlight placement is the most important part of a build in my opinion. It makes or breaks a car. Those look pretty good on there, not trying to step on your toes but would they look better if they were a little further apart? On another note yes the commercial grill rules!!! Much better than the 32 grille everyone slaps on their car :)

sko_ford and gwhite like this.
  15. Headlights do make or break a car. I find a lot of the time, headlights get slapped on as an afterthought and they just don't look quite right.
    As for the placement here, my original plan was a bit wider and higher (just above the shock mounts on either side of the grill). But I'm digging on this look, down in front. I find sometimes, the wide and high placement gets a little 'bug eyed' for my taste.
    For reference, here is how the headlights sat when I got the truck
    [​IMG]

And here's how they sit now
    [​IMG]

sko_ford, ynottayblock and Hotrodmyk like this.
  16. In other news, the exhaust has been hung, and it's exactly as I planned it to be. Gasses drop down from the stock exhaust manifolds and run back through a set of driveshafts made by @saltflatmatt at Gear Drive Speed and Custom. The driveshafts hang under the frame rails and peek out past the wishbones.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

When I want to quiet things down, I can cap off the driveshafts, as shorty Porter mufflers are slung between the frame rails and the X member. They dump just ahead of the shackle mounts and should provide a nice sound for the truck.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

From a side profile, the only things visible will be the driveshafts underneath the frame, which is just as I planned.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Neil also finished up the headlight mounts and turned out a smooth finished piece.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

With the grille shell and headlights aligned, and glass back in the housings, I think the front end will have just the attitude I am after.
    Only a few things left to button up, and then the truck is back in my garage for lots of paint prep this winter.

[​IMG]

Jeff34, Ford Mike and Jeff Norwell like this.
  17. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Saw it this weekend Speedy… Looking Mighty Fine!!!

18. Thanks Jeff! I'm looking forward to getting my grubby mitts all over it this winter and getting it all smoothed out. Hoping for dry roads and sky's on Saturday, as I'll be bringing it back home.

How's yours coming along? I haven't seen any updates as of late.

Jeff Norwell likes this.
  19. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

It's coming very well Speedy.Thanks!

20. bgbdlinc

bgbdlinc

....cool 'flexible' exhaust system, AJ. I was thinking of something flexible for the '35 coupe, as well. More fine work from the Candyman.....

21. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Loving the exhaust. I need to get some of that driveshaft tubing from Matt..

Chrome headers?

22. Very cool looking, AJ!
    Thanks for the update...

23. So should I expect to see both of us at the Jalopy Jam Up this year with new hotrods?
    Thanks David. I love the look of underslung exhaust. But I didn't want to have to deal with putting baffles in and out. It'll be quick and easy to uncap them when I want, but I'll be able to cruise along with a little quieter exhaust note.
    Thanks man. Yeah, I had looked around for some 35/36 torque tubes, but everyone wanted silly prices. And with shipping, it was a no-go. Matt turns out a sweet piece, and they look just right. The caps for them are very minimal, which I liked as well.
    As for chrome, I haven't decided what I'm going to chrome yet. I was thinking just the perch pins for a tiny bit of bright work. I plan on running the intake and valve covers 'as cast', so chroming the exhaust manifolds will throw the look off. I'm afraid if I start chroming things, I won't be able to stop. haha
    Thanks man. Slow and steady on it.

24. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Definitely at the Jam Speedy and hopefully others as well….

25. bgbdlinc

bgbdlinc

...maybe three of us......................heh, heh, heh

Speedy Canuck and Jeff Norwell like this.
  26. I'm pretty stoked on how it sits. The stance needs a few minor tweaks, but it's almost bang on.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Jeff34, Martin_F and 550Coupe like this.
  27. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

YES! Neil did great on this one. You know.. The Lone Star Round-Up is just 4 months away. Get to work.. ;)

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

28. Speedy, I can see why you are stoked.....she is looking great!

29. King ford

King ford
    from 08302

Lookin good speedy!...what happened to that sharp 60 ford you were towing with....that thing was a beauty!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

30. She's looking right