Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Tradition and Innovation: A Repost

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Oct 30, 2014.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Ryan submitted a new blog post:

Tradition and Innovation: A Repost

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

rob lee likes this.
  2. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Cool - Thanks for repost and all of the hard work that you, and others, put into fine tuning everything. good to remind people to think outside the box and be open to inspiration from other parts of the automotive world.

3. fittings.jpg Ryan, I agree completely - and wonder sometimes what would have happened with 50s and 60s hot rods had the "tradition police" been as active as they are now - would we still be in the brass age? The copper brake line idea can surely be pulled off with the cupro-nickel line available today and AN style fittings have been around and commonly available since the 40s-what returning AAF mechanic wouldn't have thought they were a good idea? Nowadays I kinda like the Swagelock line of fittings, they've got the AN look but don't require flaring and are specifically designed for high pressure apps. Just one idea.

jakespeed63 and Texas Webb like this.
  4. The Porsche 550.....is that the patina'ed Porsche in Stuttgart that still gets rally invites, and actually runs them ? Events like the Mille Miglia ? My memory is vague.....but I don't believe they touch it up whatsoever. Sympathetic is not even a word used while racing. Proud more like....

5. Hellfish

Hellfish

I'm glad this is getting some recognition on the HAMB

6. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

I have printed and filed this one away, one of the treatments was close in idea to a project I have on the back burner.. we will see if it can be pulled off.

7. I always thought a Talbot or Maserati or DelaHaye competition nose would look good on a hot rod.......in '32 nose dimensions....maybe kicked back ten degrees from straight up. Great inspiration to work from.

stillrunners likes this.
  8. Just amazing what kind of high art was incorporated into the upper end cars of the day. Beautiful stuff.

9. Weasel

Weasel

Having spent much time there, I have long held the conviction that Italians are mentally and physically incapable of creating a purely functional object. It is in the national psyche and DNA that it has to be art....

Thanks for the repost Ryan - here is Maserati's take on the brake drum, the 4 banger and the gas tank....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Prettiest drum I ever saw...

11. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

The oil tank: [​IMG]

kiwijeff likes this.
  12. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

Another view of the sexiest brake drum I've ever seen. And how about those housings for the heim joint ends?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 30, 2014
    kiwijeff and kidcampbell71 like this.
  13. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

Some cockpit details.....

[​IMG]

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  14. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

Love the gearshift well in the trans tunnel.....

[​IMG]

15. flamingokid

flamingokid

16. well....Studebaker used stainless steel bolts on their exhaust manifolds.....just sayin'....

17. The37Kid

The37Kid

Great post and photos, good to know other HAMB members enjoy looking at good quality built cars. Bob

18. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

19. Jungle Jalopy

Jungle Jalopy

Ah... My People.

20. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've been inspired by the heavy American stuff from the 30s for decades. Several mechnical aspects of the fender attachments used on Packards has been incorporated into an O/T rod project for a client. The parts individually don't mean much, yet when applied to a 34 Ford fender it seems really trick. 1 example is a simple fork that carries a carriage bolt for holding the skirt portion and the "12 o'clock" point on the front fenders. The rears got long rectangular washers arched to body. Their use is so onvious and prevents a dread that can be seen on other builds. Well, I see it anyways. Now the fronts have no exposed fasteners and the rear fender to body bolts don't create tumors between the fender and 1/4 panel. Clean and simple, seriously effective changes.

21. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

The Europeans have a handle on building Traditional style American hot rods as well as these beautiful examples above.. Cool thread...

22. Dude. Thanks for the link. You just made my day.

J.Ukrop likes this.
  23. If I ever get back on the model A it has a ton of the same influences!

24. So, next time you see a set of buick drums with a chipped tooth, think Maserati.

general gow likes this.
  25. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm glad I am not the only one who looks at the classic European Sports cars and picks out design elements that may work well on my next hot rod or custom.
    While collecting photos for inspiration on my boat tail roadster the early Alfa roadsters always seem to pop up in the mix for me.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

26. Thanks for this post. Nads, Ramblur and I always make the trek to Amelia Island, and have the pleasure of being upclose an personal, with some of these rolling jewels. Almost $100 clams to just get through the front gate, but ultimately worth every penny.
    Signed,
    Buddy Palumbo;)

27. Never knew Halibrand made a race car. Just saw this one, in an e-mail blast, from one of the big auction houses. Going across the block Nov 13th. Nice wheels!!!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

28. Weasel

Weasel

Talking of Alfa Romeo, here is their take on an 8 cylinder....
    [​IMG]

29. Here is some of my inspiration taken from the original thread and others. NOS Sunbeam Speedo, poor mans sporty steering wheel and a repop 32 Pierce Arrow dash insert that will get some engine turning. And the shifter will have gates!
    [​IMG]