Register now to get rid of these ads!

Mercruiser

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bart78, Oct 27, 2014.

1. Bart78

Bart78

Someone dumped a boat over the weekend at the landfill I run. It has the 3.0 Mercruiser in it. It does turn over. I have seen people put these in model a's. Is it worth grabbing? ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1414428668.376351.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

definitely. See the Mercruiser thread

3. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I would grab it and hopr it hasn't,run in too much salt water.

4. Bart78

Bart78

No salt water around here. I pulled the boat to the side. And when I get some time I will pull it out. I was reading some other threads in them. Could be pretty neat to go with one of the T roadster bodies I have.

5. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

GRAB IT!!! The 181" can use many V-8 parts(including head with minor machine work). These were used a lot in midget racecars in the '70s & '80s, as so many V-8 parts could make a lower-budget & competitive racer(most camgrinders did grinds for them & their little brother , the 153" motor!
    Yes, it'll do fine in a Model A, especially with a T5 behind it(std bellhouseings fit)

Last edited: Oct 27, 2014
  6. I have had one in my '32 roadster for the last 30 years. Excellent choice for a car that you don't want to cut up when changing the engine. An early ford transmission will bolt right up using the adapter from an SBC to early Ford trans.

Charlie Stephens

7. Bart78

Bart78

Does the head need changed out to be able to fit a intake and exhaust for a car?

8. When I did mine (mid eighties) there was no intake or exhaust manifold that could be used in a car. I solved the problem by bolting on a head from a 153 inch passenger car. The head is not as good (5 ports versus 8 larger ports) but you can run the passenger car manifolds and it works. The manifolds from the current 181 cubic inch industrial engine might work (see your local Chevy dealer). Someone may be making manifolds and I just haven't stumbled across them. Other than that you will need to build some manifolds.

Charlie Stephens

9. Bart78

Bart78

I found a parts manual online. That has part numbers for the 3.0 industrial. But it gives numbers for different years on manifolds. Did the head change that much through the years?

10. I don't know but you might check to see if the manifold and head gaskets are the same across the years.

Charlie Stephens

11. Bart78

Bart78

I will do that. I found the parts online. That exhaust manifold is 400 bucks.

12. Bart78

Bart78

13. Bart78

Bart78

Is there any good vintage looking valve covers for these?

14. my buddy has one in his model a roadster with t5 and it is great setup. says his is basically 1/2 a 460 ford, he runs Q-jet and it has tons of torque and is easy to work on!

15. That sounds funny. I always thought they were a short 6 cylinder Chevrolet. Are you sure you are talking about the same engine?

Charlie Stephens

16. IMG_8199.JPG IMG_8199.JPG IMG_8201.JPG IMG_7572.JPG IMG_7581.JPG IMG_7583.JPG IMG_7583.JPG
    The only one you are likely to find is the one made by Mercruiser. I have only seen them on some of their engines and don't know when they were used. They came from the factory painted black. It is my understanding that they were developed to quiet the noise from the engine. The first photos are from my '32 roadster. There was been a second one made by Ansen to go with their aluminum 8 port cross flow head. I used to have one of these heads and a valve cover and side plate came with it. The one I had had been modified and I tried in the 1990's to find another one but was unable to find anything at that time. I doubt that it was marketed separate from the head but don't know. It would take a little work to get it to fit the stock head. These are the last photos. Sorry about the duplicate posts but I am unable to delete them and don't have the time to figure out how.

Charlie Stephens

Last edited: Oct 30, 2014
  17. 1932tub

1932tub

That engine is the 470 Mercruiser, different thing altogether. There is a comprehensive thread on here somewhere about them.

18. Bart78

Bart78

I talked to a guy I know that runs the NAPA store here. He said he knew a guy he could talk to about these. I have seen some of the black valve covers. I'm going to pull the motor this weekend. And will go through it an check it out.

19. IMG_8203.JPG
    Their catalog says 3.0 (181) but they sure look like they are for the 153 heads. There could be a 181 head that I am not familiar with. The head on the top is the 181 that I am familiar with. There is paper stuffed in the exhaust ports of the 181 to identify them in the photo.

Charlie Stephens

20. Bart78

Bart78

They emailed me back about their manifolds. And said they would only fit the industrial engine. I think they call it the vortec 3000. Maybe a head can be bought. I know where I can find a 2.5 head. Might be easier to go that way.

21. Bart78

Bart78

I did email a company that does rebuilds and sells the newer motors to find out about them.