Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Corvette hot rods - picture thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by KING CHASSIS, Jan 1, 2011.

1. elgringo71

elgringo71

It looks like the Tame Toad was found by someone on the hamb in 2008 db_IMG_1149.jpg

Hotdoggin DaddyO likes this.
  2. vetrod62

vetrod62

Yes, but a different picture. I have about 1500 Hot Rod pictures, but can not remember which were posted. Old age. Some from current races in the last few years. Hi Jim

3. elgringo71

elgringo71

I may post some repeats too. The good thing about a bad memory is that you enjoy the pictures just as much the secound time around. I think this is one of your pictures, nice shot. 14xyv6u.jpg

4. vetrod62

vetrod62

Oh yea, What a story to go with that picture. Racing, crashing, cops.

5. elgringo71

elgringo71

Would love to hear the story sometime but I am sure that the names would have to be changed to protect the innocent

6. vetrod62

vetrod62

I posted that story as part of a thread started on CV when that forum went silent , like this one. It finally made 144 story posts on racing stories and 4394 views. Now quite dormant. I do not think this is the tread to post it on. Jim

7. elgringo71

elgringo71

Ok, if you have any more pictures or stories that fit this thread, I would like to see them.

8. vetrod62

vetrod62

I would like send you a PM, but since they changed the format I am at a loss how to do it.

9. Sent you a PM with some help.

10. rumblegutz

rumblegutz

Groucho likes this.
  11. elgringo71

elgringo71

There is plenty of eye candy in this shot. downloadfile-7.jpeg

Baron likes this.
  12. moparnate

moparnate
    from minnesota

1410631321591.jpg here is mine, back on the street after 20+ years of being parked. Former drag car in the 70s and early 80s.

Hotdoggin DaddyO, Baron and Groucho like this.
  13. jimdillon

jimdillon

Nate the car looks great. Great to see it back on the road. Love the stance, very reminiscent of the modified production cars of the early 70s. Now that you changed from the super tricks to the Cragars SS you are more HAMB friendly and also can attend more of the nostalgia events that require the 60s look. Glad to see another Corvette warrior looking like they should. Jim

14. porkshop

porkshop
    from Clovis Ca

Elgringo Were did you find that picture? I know this is a corvette thread but a buddy of mine bought that dragster in pieces years ago at the bakersfield hot rod reunion and would like to trace the history of the car....THANKS JOHN

15. elgringo71

elgringo71

I think that I found here on the Hamb, I wish that I had more information. The only clue is the photographers name on the picture. Maybe you could search for more of his pictures or see if you could contact him.

16. porkshop

porkshop
    from Clovis Ca

I googled the name and came up with, he races still at eagle field here close to town. Thanks for responding....John

17. elgringo71

elgringo71

18. rumblegutz

rumblegutz

Is this the restored Big John Mazmanian car or a tribute? Looks like the real thing. Does anyone know what brand the wheels are?

19. They're American Racing front and rear.

20. elgringo71

elgringo71

I am pretty sure that this is the restored original car. Look at the background of the picture, there are some things that are not from the 60s. The car was bought earlier and then restored by Steve Hendrickson in 1999. Bowtie coupe is right, the wheels are polished magnesium American Racing Torque Thrust.

21. rumblegutz

rumblegutz

I think it is the actual car. That is how I recall seeing it in the auction photosofa few years ago. When it was restored they didn't put the original lettering back.. Most noteably on the front fenders.

As for the wheels. I am a big Torque Thust fanand that is why I asked. I prefer the more rounded spoke to the peaked spoke. The wheels on this car have always looked to be the rounded version. Other than in the very early days and on 14 inch wheels I don't know that American racing Equipemant made many rounded spoke wheels. Althought that may not be the case on the Magnesium versions in the earlier days. The wheels on the car now do look like polished magnesium. Others may know better in regards to peaked and rounded spoke Americans. I have foumd more rounded spoke wheels that were other makes than I have American Torque Thrusts. Particularly in lower priced versions with the exception of Ansens which I think of as compareable in quality.

22. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

I just can't warm up to those rear fenderwells. Was that so he could get both elbows in there at the same time?

Did anyone ever make 8-10" wide 14" 5 spokes? I've been on the hunt for some time.

23. elgringo71

elgringo71

I heard that they cut the rear renders at the track with a hack saw because the tires were rubbing. I am suprized that they left them this way .

24. elgringo71

elgringo71

25. elgringo71

elgringo71

26. elgringo71

elgringo71

27. Po' Boy

Po' Boy

Hi all,

Wow, some great vintage Vette pics!

I have some questions if anyone can help:

(1) I'm looking for info on my 1957 Corvette BM/SP drag car called Lil Twister. I'm attaching a pic and here is all I know: I've talked with lots of people, I had three-quarters of a page in this month's Hot Rod Deluxe's Scrapbook section and am currently running info wanted ads in Hemmings and National Dragster. It's also listed on BarnFinds.com. I have an article coming out in the Solid Axle Corvette Club's On Solid Ground. And, with all the stuff I've been doing, it shows up in a lot of Google searches now.

But nothing so far. With all the hand-painted lettering and graphics, I just can't believe the car never did anything but go from stoplight to stoplight.

Lil Twister was purchased around 1972 by a Mike Stuart in Laingsburg, MI, but I don't know where he got it and he is deceased. Bill Gould of AutoAncestry was not able to find previous owners. It has an AAA Michigan sticker in the window and a Tau Kappa Epsilon sticker, so that likely preceded Stuart since he never had it on the road. I've sent notes to TKE to no avail and even a TKE member couldn't get a response!

So, all I have to go on is what is painted on the car itself. CHEVELAND is on the rear fenders. Cheveland is a French surname just as is Chevrolet. This is neither cLeveland or chevYland. I'd assume this is a driver or sponsor but, if so, why isn't it something like "Joe Cheveland" or "Cheveland Auto Parts" or something like that? I'm assuming CEHVELAND was familiar enough to everyone that nothing else was necessary?

Of course, we have the car speeding away with a tornado in the dust it's leaving behind with Lil Twister written inside. I just love that!

The complete front fenders say 327 CU. IN. 350 H.P. This puts it after when 327s came out in the summer of '61, but BM/SP was 1961-67, so that doesn't narrow things down much. Someone speculated that, since any engine was okay in BM/SP, if the car was raced after the Big Blocks came out, it would have had a Big Block. I am surprised at the 350 HP, which would seem to imply the '65-67 hydraulic cam engine, but I can't imagine a hydraulic cam engine in a drag car?

Headers by Cyclone is on the lower panels behind the front tires. Could Cyclone have been a sponsor? Otherwise, why pick that out of a hundred possible other names?

Racing number 96 is in the cove, which, to me, indicates that the car was established enough to have been able to have a permanent number, as opposed to putting a different one on with shoe polish at each race?

So, that is about all I know at this point and most of it is guesses.

(2) I'd like to make it to 1967 NHRA requirements since BM/SP was 1961-67. I see old pics of BM/SP cars that look like the spacers were used between the frame and the front crossmember. But when I look at the '67 rulebook, it says, "Bodies and/or frames may not be raised to gain weight transfer to the rear wheels." So, if spacers weren't allowed, why do so many BM/SP cars look like they have them??

(3) I'd also like to restore Lil Twister so that it is NHRA legal on a modern dragway. I've sent notes to NHRA via their website and email about getting a set of rules for historic/vintage racing and have gotten no response. Any idea as to how to get this from them? How do other people find out how to prepare their cars if they can't get the rules??

Any and all help appreciated!

Thanks,

Bob

Attached Files:

28. mikeymike

mikeymike

The Mazmanian Vette is so cool; cannot say if its a clone or original.

I believe that the wheels are American Racing magnesium wheels.

29. 1934coupe

1934coupe

Bob you have a lot of questions going on, I wouldn't dwell on the fact that it says 327 / 350 hp and that those particular engines hat hydraulic cams. Maybe thats what the owner felt the HP was or thats the motor he had gotten before any work on it if any. People also ran hydraulic cams for simplicity. As far as NHRA rules for a BM/SP nostalgia class there aren't any. Pick up a rule book and look under bracket cars for rule to build the car to race now. It will all be predicated on the time you will be running. I know because I race the BM/SP MG in my avatar. The car was restored to look like it did when it ran in 64/65 and with the roll bar it can only run 11.00 et's any quicker and it needs a roll cage. Does your car seem to have a 25% engine set back? That was a modified sports allowance. Many corvettes ran modified sports. Figure out what ET you want to run and then go from there.

Good Luck, Pat