Register now to get rid of these ads!

History BC Custom Car Associaton

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 29bowtie, Aug 4, 2013.

1. tinmann

tinmann

I'm pretty sure at the time of these pictures, the Cort Elliot '51 Chevy was actually owned by my buddy Bruce Metcalf. He seems to be left out of any mention that the car gets even though he had the paint and upholstery (and other details) done that everyone remembers the car by. He's still very active in the hot rod scene up here in the frozen north of B.C.

Very cool thread though.

2. In the photo of Ken Veneys dragster at Mission , if the guy dressed in all white is the starter, it could very well be Steve Manning. Steve was the starter at Mission, when I started racing at the old track regularily in 1976, although I did run there a bit before starting in 74, don`t know if steve or Harry Dash was the starter then. Manning was the starter until the track closed at the end of 78, and when the current track opened in 1992, Steve was on the starting line, and was until a few years ago. I believe he is still the starter at Ashcroft.
    As for the Surrey/Langley drive in scene, I spent much of the mid-lte 70s hanging out at the A&W on King George Highway, the Dog & Suds on 104th, as wellas the Suds on Fraser Highway in Langley, about where the Wendys across from Willowbrook mall is. Another place to hang out was C&W Speed Equipment, under the Patullo bridge, which was a use speed shop that sold parts on consignment. I still have a receipt from C&W for a pair of Ford 428 Cobra Jet cylinder heads that I bought therein 1975, for $175. Still have the heads too! Gene Therian used to keep his Gas/Modified Production Chevy Vega drag car in the shop. In later years, Norm Coutts, the "C" of C&W, opened a consignment speed shop on Kingsway in Burnaby, called Goodies Speed in the early 80s.
    Also around this time, there was a car club based in New Westminster, called the New West Torkers. I still see a few guys from the Torkers, some who still race at Mission.

3. Rocket88

Rocket88

Rory I did a little digging, Harry was the starter from 70-73.

JimBeam, I'm pretty sure that's the one.
    That pic looks like it was taken at Langley Speedway.

4. I was the starter from 1965 when Mission opened until 1969, then Harry Dashevsky took over in 1970 until ?. Steve Manning took over until the Old Mission track closed in 1978, and became the starter at the new Mission track in1992.
    Keith.

Attached Files:

Stogy likes this.
  5. Thanks for the info Keith, when did Mission first get a Christmas Tree starting system?

6. 79mbu

79mbu
    from australia

7. Rory, we got the tree in 1966.

8. larry forrester

larry forrester

Hi Kevin My name is Larry Forrester I live in Nanaimo I have acquired an old rod that was built in around 1950 and am looking for pictures or info it was built in Vancouver I am told and was chopped by Blackie green it has a heavy chop 1930 or 31 model a 5 inches had a 1953 Lincoln y block in it and was owned by Cy Rudd and Norm Grayson could u ask jack if he remembers the car I am looking for pictures to bring it back to its original state any info would be great Larry

9. This is Charlie Loo's 32 Ford at the Abbotsford Drags in 1957, it is the only Lincoln powered car from this area that I'm aware of.

Attached Files:

Stogy likes this.
  10. larry forrester

larry forrester

Yes I am beginning to think that also after talking to a few fellows I think the Lincoln is out. I was told the car was in the 1955 pacific international motorama show so trying to get pictures of that show. thanks a lot

11. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

Larry - you are in the right place to track the info you need. Good luck with the search, and of course, pics are always helpful in jogging old memories. If you need help posting pics, send me a pm.

12. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Just returned to this thread. Sad to hear about Boots. I was fortunate to have my dad indulge me in the late '60's and '70's and drive me all the way to Mission from Vancouver. I was about 11 years old when he started taking me. I'll pst pics one of these days. Does any one remember a Vancouver guy at Mission by the name of Andrioni? he ran Cudas on the '60's. Also does anyone remember a dark blue Austin that had the driver's seat where the back seat would have been? Engine pushed way back. The guy used to drive it on the street all the time. He later bought a hemi Challenger I think (hey i was only around 12or 13 at he time). And finally what about a Challenger that was painted in metal flake Canucks colours horizontally.

micamountain likes this.
  13. Here's another old Mission Raceway photo, not sure who it is. vintage_corvette_017_12232013.jpg

Stogy likes this.
  14. Anyone have an extra B and C from the 50s jacket? I have my Dads best friends BCCCA jacket that's missing the B and I have my Dads patches including the front but its missing a C and I don't really want to separate either of them?

15. larry forrester

larry forrester

HI kevin did u talk to jack about my car model a coupe that was owned by cy rudd and norm Grayson. Larry

16. woodz

woodz
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thats a killer video. Thanks.
    I herd Jacks in the hospital. All the best to him, hope he is back on his feet soon.

17. I was shocked and saddened today when I came across the obituary for Jack Mezzomo. Jack operated his shop, Pro Speed & Custom in Burnaby BC for 4 decades, first on McKay Ave, where Metrotown Mall is today, and later on Kingsway between Sperling & Gilley, a few blocks from the A&W. Jack was in his early 70s, and been having health issues in recent years. When I started racing at Mission Raceway in the early-mid 70s, his 65 Mustang C/MP "CobraStang" was a strong runner, followed by a Pro Stock, and C/Altered Pinto. I think that Mezzomo was the only BC racer to ever race in the Pro Stock class. RIP Jack.

HemiDeuce likes this.
  18. I read in todays obituaries that Art Johnson past away on June 1st of an apparent heart attack. He will be missed as a devoted executive member of the Greater Vancouver Street Machine club (in the eighties), a very smart guy who never wore shoes in public, and a kind and trusted friend.

19. I was deeply saddened to hear the news that Jack Williams had passed away. My condolences to all his family and friends, we have lost a legendary racer and a huge player in the history of racing and hot rodding here in BC.

HemiDeuce likes this.
  20. I came across this interesting photo, tagged "Boundary Bay". Anybody remember Grumpy at this venue? G4.jpg

21. biscaynes

biscaynes

yep, jenkins and dick landy match race in '75. was there that day, i took this photo.

22. biscaynes

biscaynes

23. columbian august 20 1973.JPG Here's some more historic info and pics from the past. 001.jpg April 1970_26.JPG tumblr_mzdi51Fi541qcdxvpo1_1280.jpg

Last edited: Aug 29, 2014
  24. biscaynes

biscaynes

with ken dondero... bimage.jpg

25. 54monarch

54monarch
    from Calgary

I was wondering if you guys could help me dig out some of the history of my car. It was purchased by a good friend of mine, who has since passed away, in Merritt. It is a 54 Monarch with a 54 Merc front clip on it. The rear quarters have been stretched around a continental kit. It was running black rubber and 14 inch rims on it when he purchased it, probably been about 10 years. I believe by the condition of the car that it spent its entire life in the interior.

Vic IMG00119-20100325-1442.jpg

26. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Sorry to hear about your grampa. I remember the Scuderia cars when I was a kid going to Mission. They were so beautiful compare to. A lot of the others. I also remember discovering Jack 's shop in Burnaby when riding y bike one day, I thought I discovered Alladin's cave!

27. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

Sorry to hear about the passing of Jack Williams. He was a hot rodding icon in this area.

28. Thought I'd post a couple more early pics of Syndicate Scuderia, when it still had the front mounted blower. R.I.P. Jack Williams. You certainly put BC on the Drag Racing Map, with all the accomplishments over jack williams winternationals car life 1963 1.jpg jack williams winternationals car life 1963 2.jpg the years. These are both from the 1963 Winter nationals.

Stogy and 5w32 like this.
  29. 5w32

5w32

Howie Stevens and Tom Scull built and raced this Maverick

Attached Files:

HemiDeuce likes this.
  30. 5w32

5w32

remember the 1968 Checkmate Camaro( at old Mission Raceways), Frank Boyaz driving

Attached Files: