Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Lakes pictures. P.R.C.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by woodiemike, Sep 19, 2014.

1. woodiemike

woodiemike
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Here again are some more pictures for you to check out. The pictures of the Roadster with the couple were taken in my Dad's back yard. Don't know who they are, but it sure is a good lookin' car! You'll also notice it is running a Sidewinders plate. scan0083.jpg scan0084.jpg scan0085.jpg scan0086.jpg scan0087.jpg scan0087.jpg scan0088.jpg scan0089.jpg As always, enjoy, and feel free to comment. Thank you.

2. Nobey

Nobey

What a beautiful A roadster Mike, thanks once again.....

Stogy likes this.
  3. Rockerhead

Rockerhead
    Member Emeritus

Hi Mike
    I believe that the '29 roadster in this photo was George LaRue's. George was in the Velociteers club in the RTA and also the Glendale Sidewinders in the SCTA. I am not sure that the guy is George but I have not seen him since about 1952. (I used a photo of George with his '32 coupe in one of my books - somewhere).
    Re: The heat riser exhaust tubes. I did not run a flathead then so I will give my opinion only. The Ford flathead dumps exhaust gases from the two center cylinders, on each side, into one exhaust port. The end cylinders each have their own ports. Efforts to relieve the exhaust flow in the center ports included tubes allowing flow up out the heat risers and dividers in the center exhaust ports. There were variations on this but the idea was to gain horsepower. The heat riser exhaust tubes would be open, although I guess someone could leave them on with caps for street driving. I never saw anyone do that. Numerous efforts to relieve through the heat risers were tried but as you can tell from the old lakes photos it was not especially popular.

296ardun - Dave - I worked as the late operator to close up a Mobil station on east Colorado Blvd around 1949. One of the mechanics who worked there for a while was Sam Brollier. He was in the Pasadena Roadster Club then. In 1947 he had a '27 T roadster. I think when he had the Ardun powered roadster a few years later he was from the Azusa area.
    Good memories - Don

Attached Files:

4. Mart

Mart

Once again, I have to say, great pics, thanks Mike. And great contributions from Rockerhead (Don), and others. I never noticed the heat riser exhausts before, just saw them while going back through the later pics. I have never seen them in a street application before, these pics show lots of details that give a great insight into what was going on. How young everyone was, how they dressed, etc. etc.

Thanks again.

Mart.

Stogy and kidcampbell71 like this.
  5. flyn schlosser

flyn schlosser
    from phelan, ca

This is so awesome.. Like I said i live about 10 miles from el mirage these pictures and the stories that go with them are wonderful.. I keep looking everyday for new pics and posts. The pice from Catalina are wonderful to . They actually brought back the Catalina race a couple years ago

Sueded69, chryslerfan55 and Stogy like this.
  6. woodiemike

woodiemike
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

As all way's...It's great to hear from you Don. You are a wealth of information! I really appreciate your comments. Thank you. I know there were a lot of guy's trying anything they could think of, so the Exhaust risers must have been one of them. Interesting though! In the said photo of the exhaust riser's, you will also notice that they must have been doing some distributor work, as the caps are on the cowl. Again I want to thank all who have replied!! Your comment's are what is making this thread work! As so many have said, the pictures are clearly a "window in time". The way thing's really were, car's, fashion, etc. And as some have said, the background is just as interesting as the foreground! As I have said previously, I am more than happy to post what I have for all to see. One thing that is obviously clear; is that all of you clearly appreciate [as I do] what I have been posting. I want you all to enjoy it as I have been able to do. It may be tedious, and slow, but I will eventually get there!! I will continue to do what I can, when I can. I love the quote you wrote "they are special to me, and now they are special to all of you"!!!!

Don & Dave [296ardun], it's funny that you both brought up Sammy Brollier. I thought that name sounded familiar, so I started searching thru my Dad's other album. I'm getting a little ahead of myself, but yes kid's....there's two album's!! Anyway guess what? Yep...he's here! Personally I just love this picture of the line up in front of my Dad's house on Backus Street in Pasadena!! Notice the date March 23 1947. Wouldn't you love to see that in front of your house!! Damnnnn! And again I'm throwing it out there, and you guy's keep the ball rolling! Thanks and enjoy!

IMG_1069.JPG IMG_1070.JPG scan0090.jpg scan0091.jpg scan0092.jpg scan0093.jpg roadsters,midgets,motorcycles 001.jpg roadsters,midgets,motorcycles 002.jpg roadsters,midgets,motorcycles 003.jpg roadsters,midgets,motorcycles 012.jpg roadsters,midgets,motorcycles 018.jpg

7. Wow! These photos really show that hot rods were certainly coming of age by 1947; I count only 1 car with mechanical brakes, at least three with dropped axles, and no less than 3 with 'aircraft' shocks. The ubiquitous '32 grille shell is in full-effect with filling/nosing on all but one example (the '29 on deuce rails). Looks like one or two of the T's have their '32 grilles sectioned, and check out the several chromed windshield stanchions/frames!! Looks like pretty much everyone is running sealed beam headlights by this date as well (and not a 'truck' headlight w/marker lamp to be seen).

Pretty advanced stuff!

8. J.B.

J.B.
    from Sweden

Wow! Your pictures are just out of this world! So much inspiration right there.

Stogy likes this.
  9. theres some great pics and history here, really glad you are posting.
    Al.

Stogy likes this.
  10. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

patiently waiting

Stogy and kidcampbell71 like this.
  11. oh my god those are killer!

Stogy likes this.
  12. firerod

firerod
    from Colorado

Thanks again for posting such great history.

Stogy likes this.
  13. KKrod

KKrod

The "Illegal Assembly" photos are out of this world. I don't think hot rods were appreciated by the public in those days. I could imagine what it sounded like when all 7 roadsters fired up at once!!

Last edited: Oct 20, 2014
  14. [​IMG]

It should be mentioned 513c is Bob Hamke roadster it was sponsored by Ralph's Muffler shop out of Indy, this roadster was found by Trichop and sold it to Robert Hamke, Bob's son.

15. woodiemike

woodiemike
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great eye Gary!!! Thank's for the comment. It's like no matter how many time's I have looked at these pictures, I see something new every time I look at them. Again, a lot of you have said how the background is just as good as the foreground. When you enlarge the picture of the light colored Roadster in the above post, driver with a helmet, just check out the background. On the right is a Roadster with "Howard's Cam's" on the hood. What's with the white wall's? To the left of that is a sedan delivery. To the left of that is a "T" [I think?]with a streamlined nose. And then there is another Roadster with a girl standing behind it. Good stuff!! Glad to hear all your comments.

16. woodiemike

woodiemike
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Jimmy....your knowledge is astounding!! Thank's for commenting.

Stogy likes this.
  17. woodiemike

woodiemike
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thank's for the comment KKrod. Like I said the "Illegal Assembly" has got to be one of my favorite pictures! And you are right in the fact the "hot rod's" were not exactly well liked by the public. As you can see by the article I have posted by the SCTA News, The Pasadena Roadster Club was trying to clean up the "hot rod" image. I like the reference of Hopped-Up & Souped-Up cars!! Anyway, thought I would throw it in there just for flavor. As all way's....enjoy.

scan0094.jpg scan0095.jpg

Sueded69, Stogy, KKrod and 2 others like this.
  18. firingorder1

firingorder1

Hah! I had forgotten all about the "curfew" law. That was the handiest tool the police had to break up a gathering when I was a kid. I had to be "collected" by my dad on a couple of occasions. Pissed him off good. A great read Mike. Thanks again.

chryslerfan55, Stogy and volvobrynk like this.
  19. I love the history especially backed up with documents provided by the original participants!

Stogy and Andamo like this.
  20. woodiemike

woodiemike
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Here is something for you "gear head's". My Dad did some dyno testing for two Stromberg carb's. 286 cu. in. Merc. scan0097.jpg scan0096.jpg Just a little flavor for all.

deadbeat, Stogy, Pufff and 5 others like this.
  21. woodiemike

woodiemike
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm just throwing a few more picture's in while I have a few minutes. As you can see in the first two picture's, the background has a whole lot goin' on!!!! Love the H&H streamliner. Again enjoy!!!

scan0098.jpg scan0099.jpg scan0100.jpg scan0101.jpg

63fdsnr, Stogy, Pufff and 5 others like this.
  22. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

The Rodders Journal needs to showcase this thread...seriously

Stogy, kidcampbell71 and volvobrynk like this.
  23. passngas

passngas

Thank you for sharing these great pictures!

Stogy likes this.
  24. Wow best thread yet..................how did I miss this?

Stogy likes this.
  25. @woodiemike -

Just an FYI ...

The #600 'liner is a car originally owned & built by Ralph Schenck.

Ralph had raced a roadster at the dry lakes in the 1930s, and in 1939 he decided to build a streamliner. He designed the body (reminiscent of the Harry Miller Submarine car) and built the chassis and frame while Joaquin Grosso formed the aluminum body panels. A 183-cubic-inch Chevrolet block with an Oldsmobile head was fitted with Ford crankshaft and rods and a Winfield cam. It made its debut at Harper Dry Lake on May 19, 1940, and achieved a top speed of 118.57 mph. After many runs, the car was sold in 1945. The car’s body was damaged in the runs and was thrown away. The car itself was dismantled and the chassis and engine separated but they were both kept safe by Duane Steele.

The current owner (Terry Baldwin of Ventura, California) began its restoration in the 1970s, using many original plans and photographs from Schenck.

The car was shown at the 2010 Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance in its circa 1940 configuration:

1940 Ralph Schenck Streamliner @ \'10 Pebble Beach Concours d\'Elegance (by Todd Olson).JPG
    image by @HEMI32

Your father's B&W photo was obviously taken a few years after Schenck had sold the car ... Here's a circa 1948 color photo of the #600 "H & H streamliner" at El Mirage:

#600 \'liner at El Mirage in 1948 (Jill Durkee-Burgoyne).jpg
    photo from the Jill Durkee-Burgoyne collection​

NOTE: There's more pics & info in these H.A.M.B. threads:

Last edited: Oct 24, 2014
  26. zephyr speed

zephyr speed
    from reno nv

WOW, WOW, WOW! The greatest generation. Thank you so much for this post.

Stogy likes this.
  27. woodiemike

woodiemike
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hello one and all!! Thanks again to all that have commented, and those who have checked out the thread. Special thanks to HEMI 32! To me; this is what make's the H.A.M.B. so special. Somebody throw's something out there, and then someone like HEMI 32 picks up the ball and runs with it!! Fantastic! Thank you for the info on the H&H car. I know I, like probably others have seen this car in different pictures, but every picture is usually a different setting, angle, etc. They are all special. As I have said before, the amount of knowledge you guy's possess is amazing. I sincerely hope you will all continue to throw that knowledge out there. Not to sound redundant, but you are all very welcome for this post! My only hope is that all enjoy what I have! On that note, I will post some more pictures. The thing I find interesting on the first page is the timing tags. One is from 9/25/49 and the other is 10/22/49. The first time is 126.93 and the other is 126.22. At least he was consistent!!! Not too sure if that was good though! There are also some early "color" pictures. Well.....kind of! As always, hope you enjoy.

IMG_1071.JPG IMG_1072.JPG IMG_1073.JPG IMG_1074.JPG IMG_1075.JPG scan0102.jpg scan0103.jpg scan0108.jpg scan0105.jpg scan0106.jpg scan0107.jpg

chryslerfan55, Stogy, Pufff and 4 others like this.
  28. woodiemike

woodiemike
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sorry.....had the first page sideways. Still a learning curve! Where's my Granddaughter when I need her!!!

IMG_1071.JPG

Stogy, Pufff, kidcampbell71 and 2 others like this.
  29. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Definitely a top traditional rodders' must-read of 2014 and onward.

"I need my mirror boy"

30. firingorder1

firingorder1

What can I say? Each time I open this thread I'm greeted by better and better photos and info. I'm a total sucker for timing tags. Love those!! Seeing the cars that earned them makes so much better. I have all mine stuck on a display board. As I said in an earlier post this thread should be a sticky and compulsory reading for all HAMB members. Thanks again for everything

chryslerfan55, Stogy and volvobrynk like this.