Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The politically correct 59 El Camino

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by J.Fishbeck, Oct 24, 2014.

1. 20141024_105614.jpg

A guy and his wife stopped by my place yesterday, asking if I'd be interested in a 59 El Camino. I just got back from looking at it, an can truly say, I love California's dry weather climate. I climbed underneath this thing, and couldn't believe what I was seeing. Floorboards, inner an outer rockers.. flawless! WTF?! It's sat in this shop for three years, and the kids don't care about it, denting and dinging the body here and there. But I can't believe the old cars, that are still out there, in amazing shape. It was media blasted and redone, green and ivory. Titled but no motor, trans, stainless, chrome or glass. I'm picking it up, to sell it. Can't wait to get it home!

At ElMirage this past wknd, I seen a pic of an original Henry, 32 Tudor sedan, for $4,500
    All there.. needing resto! Fudge. There's hope!
    20141024_105457.jpg
    20141024_105503.jpg
    20141024_105508.jpg

2. Phillips

Phillips
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sounds like it found you instead of the other way around!

Congrats.

3. Yeah, you're right. I wish it had the rr side qtr mouldings. I know of two more. I just hope they still have them.

4. Nice body there, but all that trim and small parts will be tougher to find. Engine and trans no problems there. I think the back glass could be tough to find?

Good project though, a lot better than the 59 El Camino I started with, and that was also CA car.

5. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

When you take the bed floor panels out on these your usually looking at the ground. They have a terrible reputation for rusting. This one will be worth every penny you spend getting it back on the road. One of my all time favorites but dont myself being able to get one finished before the dirt nap.

Frank

kidcampbell71 and J.Fishbeck like this.
  6. I have a thread on here 59 el camino build pics. . Part two

Check it out.

7. Nice! Makes me want my old one back! IM000026.JPG IM000575.JPG

J.Fishbeck likes this.
  8. A guy interested in buying the ElCamino sent these pics, just now. 63 done like Chevy should have.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

lewk, koolkemp and Scooterville like this.
  9. 327Eric

327Eric

about all I can say is WOW, to both. I thought 59's came from the factory rusty.

J.Fishbeck likes this.
  10. Just something that raises the hair on my neck, when I see car topics referring to RUST as CANCER.
    CANCER has been a part of my family, has now invaded the body of my oldest daughter. Sadder and Tougher than I am willing to explain.
    GOD, it would be so thoughtful, if the RUST was referred to as RUST and not CANCER.
    The word CANCER = sadness and even sadder thoughts.
    Kindness is always appreciated.

11. My dad died from cancer.
    Eat organics. This gmo shit is poison

Rust is rust, cancer refers to rotted, thin and see thru panels. It's part of the car restoration language. Leave it at that. End of subject

koolkemp and slammed like this.
  12. Splinter

Splinter

I got a nice 283 that would go in that.......

J.Fishbeck likes this.
  13. Two phone calls, I found everything it needs.

Scooterville likes this.
  14. joeycarpunk

joeycarpunk
    from MN,USA

Nice, clean rust free Camino, such a departure from what you normally find.

15. So true! That's the only reason I started this thread. Fell right in my lap

16. belair

belair

Great car. Congrats. That 63 is pretty cool too.

17. I've thought of doing a 61 El Camino. Cut up a photocopy to see what it would look like. (Pre Photoshop) The 61 2dr sedan, with the duck bill, flat roof, would lend itself well.

But the 63 is spot on.

18. belair

belair

You're right about the sedan roof. It would be spot on. And 61 is my favorite Impala.

19. A 62 BelAir Bubbletop, is the newest car I would ever own. Something about them.. that, Jena se qua! Hahaha

20. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

A rot-free 59 elc - guy, you *need* to buy a fistfull of lottery tickets. Woooow!
    As an aside & commentary, & not aimed at this car:
    Rust is rust, but rot is a good term for airy metal. I get the term cancer, but prefer rot. Wish folks could figure out terms... "No rust" & I'm looking at rusty &/or rotted sheetmetal... WTF!? Gotta figure dude is lying about *everything* else on whatever he's selling.

21. I'll never make everybody happy, an I never want to. It's often best to act on what's real, and not let emotions get in the way.

The truck is amazing, so let's not get away from what's important here. Cars, not so much the words

F&J likes this.
  22. Yes, I prefer words like rot, rusted, rusty, holey, swiss cheese, whatever.
    I was asking for consideration to a sensitive word, but, instead found a reply I could have anticipated.
    Yep, we'll move on, just voicing my concern to a very often misused word.

23. That solid body puts you worlds ahead of most people's EC starting points.
    Too bad you're on the west coast - the 348 W engine I have in the corner needs a home!

J.Fishbeck likes this.
  24. slammed

slammed

Very, very nice score JJ. Keep your head up, yer pops would be proud of the new one added to the fold.

J.Fishbeck likes this.
  25. I plan on selling it, not keeping it. Just wanted to share the news.

26. A friend of mine bought a brand new one in '59 in our senior year of high school. Every other kid in L.A had one with a 335 h.p. 348. They used to run them 4 abreast at Lions drag strip there were so many of them. They would all start at the same place and all finish at the same place. Nrver thought I'd live long enough to see the day you couldn't find one that wasn't completely rusted out.

J.Fishbeck likes this.
  27. A friend of mine had a 60 Impala, 348 with a sngle 4bbl. He used to run the car at the Colton drags. He swapped out the single 4, for a two 4's set up, and went slower. I'm not a fan of multiple carbs on my cars. They're neat to look at, but not for me

28. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I had a 59 that I bought March 24, 1970 the day my firstborn was born that my wife swore that the test ride the day before caused her go go into labor that was rusted in the floors then. I'd love to have another one some day though.

J.Fishbeck likes this.
  29. I'm gonna do it. . What do you guys think this things worth?