Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects F100 Mild Custom Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SicSpeed, Oct 13, 2014.

1. SicSpeed

SicSpeed
    from Idaho

I have been sitting on this truck for 12 years and decided it was time to get started on it as I'm also working on my sons 37 sedan. The goal has been an early 60's style mild custom.
    First off was to get the chassis sorted out and rolling. I'm using what I have for chassis up grades as a race car project took a turn to the dark side so I had a complete setup left that needed a home and I like using whats on the shelf over buying anyone's "kit". Engine, trans, diff, and front suspension. I'm going to be driving this every day as a shop truck so the original plan for a big block was shelved in favor of fuel economy. I take a lot of trips from the Bay Area to SLC to visit my son.
    These first pics were from a few months ago as I set up a jig table. Just mock up here to see if and how things would work out.
    This is it sitting in the background last year. I knew the cab was in pretty good shape, but I had no idea how messed up the frame was but I would find out soon enough.
    This is what I started with.Pic is moving day into a bigger shop
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The only 2 pic's I have of the truck before starting.
    I ended up trading a More Drop for a straight set of org.bed sides. I wish I would have kept the brakes
    [​IMG]
    Typical cab sag
    [​IMG]

Got the ride height set pretty close, getting ready to push up onto the jig table
    I really hit the jack pot here as the 4x4 tubing I had was way short of enough to build a long enough table from so a friend had a friend that lent me some trench plate. Got it in the shop and put the laser to it and perfectly flat.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Getting the rear done first
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    From here you can see the big plate on the rail. After taking the old bed off I found this truck had once been a long bed, or at least the frame had or a repair of some sort because I couldn't tell if the bed was original to the truck. It was a fairly decent job in being sq. but the rear rails needed some work getting them level.before I did the rear 2x4 tubing . I'm using a 7" shock so I wanted plenty of room.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Always wanted one of these. My first attempt at bending tubing. Trans mount, first one came out great. But I didn't like the amount of waste I went cheap and tried to save metal, big mistake. You need the over run to complete the bend ! The second one didnt quite make the degree of bend by 2 deg. Out came the torch.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    At first I had the front axle 1 1/2" forward of stock. Then I decided to move further forward to get some weight off the front wheels and improve the handling and ride
    so now its 6 1/2" forward.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Filled all the holes in the front rails and boxed it in. Even with all the measuring and notes, I was later to find out the upper arms I ordered were going to be a bit to long
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    So this is where its sitting today. Working on the front upper shock mounts.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    My original goal was early 60's mild custom. I wanted a 60 Merc grill and lights but missed the chance to buy one at a reasonable price 5 yrs back. Im looking at other options. i need to messure a stock grill opening to see what I'll have to work with.
    I have plenty of ideas. If the grill gets older than about 58 I'll focus on the mid 50's and go with fat whites instead of narrow. I'm still not decided on painted rims or chrome.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2015
    chop job likes this.
  2. SicSpeed

SicSpeed
    from Idaho

My first photo post on The H.A.M.B.. So I posted pics from Photobucket, normally the pic just shows up on the post but there is a link instead. I tried doing a search here looking for the best way to post and came up empty. Can anyone help with the best way for a pic to shoe from photobucket.
    Thanks for any help.

3. SicSpeed

SicSpeed
    from Idaho

Just testing different ways to post a pic
    [​IMG]
    There it is , I got it

4. Duke 55

Duke 55

I look forward to you posting the rest of the pictures. I just finished a fairly wild non traditional custom build on a 55 f100. Here is a link to my last build on the garage journal - WARNING it does not comply with the traditional custom rules but I think it will have many features you will appreciate.
    http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=183844

Also, I am in the SLC area. If you are in the area and have time to kill, stop by.

5. willymakeit

willymakeit

Keep us posted. Building a 56 myself and always looking for some new touch's

6. coupe man

coupe man

Same here.Doing a 56 and want something other than the stock grill.Looking forward to what you do.Awesum frame by the way.

7. verde742

verde742

So Jealous........
    OK now I am over it, ,,, continue

8. SicSpeed

SicSpeed
    from Idaho

Duke 55, that's a nice truck, first I've seen the B pillar slanted on a PU
    Looks great.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

9. SicSpeed

SicSpeed
    from Idaho

Last edited: Oct 14, 2014
  10. SicSpeed

SicSpeed
    from Idaho

Today I scored a grill for the F100.
    I have been doing some drawings and found quite a few I really like but one really set itself apart. So I jumped on the bike and headed to the local Caddy salvage yard. I originally wanted the grill, lights and all
    but it's about 20" too wide. I'm hoping some 59 Imperial lights will work. I don't even have the front end close to going on.

11. hellerlj

hellerlj
    from Minnesota

I have always like the look of a 58/59 F100 Grille in a 53/56 F100, you turn
    it upside down and take approx 18" out of the center...BAM !!! Old style Quad
    Headlights, have seen it done many times back in the day.... whitegrill1.JPG

12. hellerlj

hellerlj
    from Minnesota

Just another to add to the mix..... oldbarristrk.jpg.jpg

13. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

14. SicSpeed

SicSpeed
    from Idaho

I've always liked this truck. I'm wanting the quad light treatment but I also would like a wide grill also so the lights will take a back seat to the grill. once I get the cab back on (firewall and front floor replacement) I can mock up the front end. I have plenty of options as I'm likely to widen the front fenders to almost match the 52" bed. I'll think the hood and fenders will have the leading edge brought out a bit to match the contour of the grill. I like the 61 to 63 Imperial headlights but I'm just looking at this point. I thought I might be able to buy a couple grille setups but I was hit with a dose of reality when I bought the Caddy grille. Its been a little over 20 years sense I was out parts shopping for my 57 Olds.
    Just brought back one of my race cars to the shop so I'm spending this time getting rid of stuff and organizing the place. I still have a room at home full of car parts.

15. SicSpeed

SicSpeed
    from Idaho

I was thinking along these lines about a year ago before I started tearing into this project but I thought it would be a bit to plane for what I'm after. Thanks for the input.

16. hellerlj

hellerlj
    from Minnesota

Personally, I've always liked, like the truck in the magazine, where the Chevy
    box is used, along with the Chevy rear fenders, I think it gives it more of a
    Swoopy Look....also the flat bed tops, I think lend themselves to a tuck&roll
    cover.....the really great thing about customs, is you can do what you think
    looks best, and not really care what ANYONE else thinks....I will be watching !!!

17. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1413928370.555413.jpg

18. SicSpeed

SicSpeed
    from Idaho

That's looking good .

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App

19. verde742

verde742

You might rethink flipping it over, Don 't think I've seen one flipped. And as I remember, (could be wrong) I think its 8 INCHES from the middle.

20. hellerlj

hellerlj
    from Minnesota

Couple more just to confuse things.... 0801rc_04_z+craig_hahns_1955_kustom_f100+front_left_view.jpg pearl_web_375_000_detail.jpg

Stogy and kiwijeff like this.
  21. Duke 55

Duke 55

This is a 62 Rambler grille upside down that my grandpa did in about 64.

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1414028324.461295.jpg

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1414028367.286821.jpg

22. SicSpeed

SicSpeed
    from Idaho

These are both very bitchin trucks. The white one was at Sac. Autorama a couple years ago and I was able to get a good look.

23. SicSpeed

SicSpeed
    from Idaho

Duke 55, I like what you did to your Grandpa's truck. That came out nice and the color looks great.
    I'm going to be in SLC during the Xmas week 23rd through 27th. I tried sending an email but on your profile page there is no email address. My son and I would love to check out your truck and the COE.

24. SicSpeed

SicSpeed
    from Idaho

Scored this 61 Caddy grille a couple weeks ago. No real damage but I'll need to take it apart to get it looking real nice. I originally thought some 59 Imperial headlights would be great but it just might be too wide with the lights horizontal. I do plan on widening the front though to match the wide bed I'll be doing . The other option is find some 55 F100 headlight housings and run 55 Olds bezels. Until I get the cab and front fenders on that's enough parts for now.
    [​IMG]
    So I did some horse trading the other day and started setting up this lift yesterday. Hope to get it finished and working today.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 1, 2015
  25. SicSpeed

SicSpeed
    from Idaho

finished and working, just need to set it up for turn plates and scales.
    no more laying on a carpet or creeper
    [​IMG]

26. AHotRod

AHotRod

Custom trucks RULE !

27. SicSpeed

SicSpeed
    from Idaho

Its been at least 2 months sense I last worked on this truck. Installing the lift required a 2 week shop reorganizing. Also I have been working on my sons 37 so i can get the body back on.
    So today I finally got to do a majority of the front upper shock mount fab. Last part is an upper shock brace over the engine. Then I can pull the engine-trans out and finish weld. I modified a 2nd engine stand today and I'll use the two to roll the frame for welding, clean up and a coat of POR15 for a base.
    Felt good to get the chassis basics done.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

28. King ford

King ford
    from 08302

She's gonna ride a little stiff with that front spring......

29. SicSpeed

SicSpeed
    from Idaho

Built in anti-dive

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App

30. SicSpeed

SicSpeed
    from Idaho

I finally had some time to get back on the F100. I finished all the welding on the frame and started some POR15 at the rear. I clean everything up with acetone and never had a problem in the past. I came back the next day and the stuff is just peeling off. I did the same process on the 37 frame and it came out pretty good. I decided to just build the truck without painting the frame and get it powder coated after tear down. I have to finish the brake and fuel lines on my son's 37 then I'll get to working on the cab and bed. I 'll need to get things mocked up to check wheel offsets. I think I'll be using Stockton Wheel for some chrome 32 series wheels. All the other wheel builders seem to have a problem getting product out the door.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Now I can break down the jig table and return the trench plate.
    I'm glad to have this back on its wheels.