Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Dodge This - 1939 Dodge Southeast Gasser Build

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Dog_Patch, Aug 12, 2014.

1. I was shooting for a roller by Sunday night but the damn Atl 10,000 ran until midnight for some reason - could have been the buy backs being done by the street bike class :p Yes street bikes.

Finally got these ladder hoop things on :
    IMG_0239 (Copy).jpg

IMG_0240 (Copy).jpg

I used a Speedway straight axle for now because the 33 Plymouth axle has wandered off o_O Where the hell is Shawn anyway? If I had the Chevy spindle nuts the front wheels would be on. Had to move the front spring back about 2 inches to get the wheelbase back to stock. Need to move the shackles still.

Maybe it will be a roller by the end of the week.

new_REAR.jpg

2. Don't make me break out the possie Ric
    IMG_0230.JPG

catdad49 likes this.
  3. sch-1

sch-1

I love this build!

I'm new here and don't know nothing about this racing stuff so please forgive me if I'm asking a stupid question. What holds the bearing in the axel tube? I would expect to see some sort of flange or plate with a oil seal between the bearing and the axel flange to retain the bearing. Is there a split plate or something for racing applications?

4. I've got real good brakes Dog, so when I'm on the binders in the shut down area after I've bitch slapped you and "The Rock", I'll take a good look when you go by (as you stated), trying to slow that "Two Ton Tilly" down. I'll show you what it looks like on my GoPro.
    PS. Make sure you steer away from the Nuclear Power Plant.., please!

Last edited: Oct 13, 2014
    30dodgeboy and II FUNNY like this.
  5. Whatever Ric can you pass that bong ? I think you're Bogarting it.

[​IMG]

6. There is a U shaped bracket that holds the bearing in the housing. If the bearing stays in place then the axle should too right ?
    user1564_pic6754_1216484420 (Copy).jpg

IMG_1445 (Copy).jpg

wingnutz likes this.
  7. Purple Haze in da Dog House! You been drinking bong water koolaid?

Dog_Patch likes this.
  8. Go ahead and bring the Possies, I :confused:like those little flowers, maybe we can put some of those in that bong too!

9. Sorry - sometimes the King's English slips in hear thear. :D Those possies clean up real nice don't let the sepia fool ya.

10. How much gear ya gonna run, or is that top secret?

11. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

12. captmullette

captmullette

don't forget the jr. dragsters........go figure

13. Thank God for the Jr Dragsters or we would never have been able to sneak our real dragsters onto the track. We just fell in behind them one time. 12 hours :eek: and only one sneak pass.

What happened to your car when they pulled you out of the starting line?

enloe likes this.
  14. Bah. What's the worst that could happen?

[​IMG]

15. uhhhh the good ol' days

16. captmullette

captmullette

damn bad ass picture.....saved

17. captmullette

captmullette

coil wire broke.....

18. Circus Bear

Circus Bear

Damn I forget how big I am sometimes. That was the day my neighbor called the cops on us. HAHAHAHAHA they were the good ol days.

19. I'm still bummed that we were up ahead when that wheel came off and didn't get to watch it happen. :D

20. Love you guys....

21. Snowing up there yet Jeffey ?

22. allwilly

allwilly

Dave u are freaking huge..how could u forget that?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

23. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

No doubt, he has walked by my swap meet booth before and those "Jurassic Park" tremor rings appeared in my drink:)

24. A little progress here. I have made the rear ladder brackets 3 times and the fronts 2x :confused: learning as you go can be full of u-turns. The next car will be a piece of cake :)

ladder_bracket1.jpg

Making these again because the tube under the housing had no place to connect to. Crawled under the Pale Rider at the Atl 10,000 and realized something was wrong with what I was doing.

ladder_bracket2.jpg

The front had no place to mount to so making a box :

center_box.jpg

center_box2.jpg

Moved these 4 times - they ended up on the top of the rail - hope I'm done here o_O

center_box3.jpg

Mocking it up. The rear wheel looks too far forward but the axle lines up with the rubber bump stop. Need to try a fender. The ladder bars have 4 more holes higher on those brackets so they probably need to move up. Too many leafs in the front probably. Tonight the plan is to cut off the cowl.

first_roll.jpg

25. captmullette

captmullette

man, you have some serious skills, this car is gonna be bad ass.....

26. Bean Dip

Bean Dip
    BANNED

Looking good buddy!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

27. Looks like it's taking shape

28. As you assemble the car and add weight, the rear wheel will move up in the wheel well, and point the ladder bar further down hill, so you can move them up a couple holes now, if it helps with the rest of mock up stage.
    Helping
    Envision
    Mopar
    Invation

29. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

Personally, I'd like to see the rear of the car a little higher. But I may not be seeing your vision clearly. Looking forward to seeing this one near completion.

30. No not yet...
    I'd dump a motor in it before you worry about the front being high. 1 3/4" front leafs?