Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Just a FEW photos from the SE Gassers at Piedmont

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rrbrucea, Oct 20, 2014.

1. rrbrucea

rrbrucea

Unfortunately my on-track racing images were a bust. Evidently I need more lens as well as skill. So these shot in the pits are all I got.

This beautiful Willys was in the car show and didn't make any passes. It was immaculate!
    [​IMG]

Olds Rocket for power.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Loved the paint and colors on this Studebaker Lark.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Loved how EVERYTHING on this Willys was hand lettered, even the stuff that looked like decals. No vinyl here! This guy gets it...
    [​IMG]

Of course Quain was there. I think more photos were taken of his car than any other two gassers combined.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Lace and sky.
    [​IMG]

Doing some tuning.
    [​IMG]

This '55 was cool.
    [​IMG]

That's all I got. Anybody else get any images?

loudbang and tylercrawford like this.
  2. oldsjoe

oldsjoe

Good shots of some fine rides THANKS for sharing!

3. Great weather for a race! How was the racing?

4. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

That blue Willys.... Oh my its beautiful!

5. rrbrucea

rrbrucea

The racing was fantastic! Although I wasn't able to stay around for the finals... the gassers in general put on a wheel lifting, side-by-side, looks like an insane handful to drive kind of show. The gassers' appearance was in conjunction with a Big Dog Pro Mod show and those guys are stoopid FAST! Now running 3.70s and over 200 mph in the eighth mile. The weather was perfect–sunny and pleasant, but cool enough to make horsepower!

Last edited: Oct 21, 2014
  6. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

7. loudbang

loudbang

The results look better than most of the stuff guys get. You using some special camera or just shooting better?

8. rrbrucea

rrbrucea

Thank you! Not sure I'm shooting "better", and my camera is just a digital Nikon and I was shooting in RAW format.

Since I'm a graphic designer for a living and an automotive artist for fun, maybe I'm just looking at things with an artistic eye. I try to push myself to come up with interesting and different compositions when I'm shooting cars, often with varying degrees of success.

And for the on track stuff at this event, it was a real learning experience for me. I don't have enough lens, AND I need to learn what settings on my camera to use to get good action shots.

As it was, shooting on "AUTO" doesn't work for that. All I got was nicely focused shots of the track's concrete walls with really blurry gassers going by at speed. Next time I'm going to go and spend more time experimenting to see what really works. And I'm gonna save up for a decent longer lens...

Finally, I did some processing on the images when I got home, and some artistic experience may be helping me some there... although I will say that I think I went totally overboard with the HDR stuff on Quain's Willys, especially on the shot with the hood closed. Notice how off color-wise those yellow trees look! Still learning how far you can push that too!

Last edited: Oct 21, 2014
  9. Was Gene Cromer & The Moonlighter there? HRP

10. rrbrucea

rrbrucea

Yep, Gene and his cool Ford-powered Willys was there! Unfortunately, the only shots I got of Gene were some blurry on track shots... NOT good.