Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Question on air cleaner(s)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 13, Oct 18, 2014.

1. I have an dual carb. Offy intake on my 48 Dodge flat motor, and would like to put the stock style oil-bath air cleaners on. My question to you is, which make/model vehicles would have a unit that was no more than 7-1/2" diameter? The smallest I've found so far is 8-1/2". This because the carbs. are that distance apart. I am running the stock B&B (Carter) carbs. Need this info so I can start hunting them down. Thank you!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 18, 2014
  2. 59Apachegail

59Apachegail
    from New York

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1413650233.052181.jpg

My $9 specials are on 2bbl rochester carbs but carter made carbs for rochester. The openings are 2 5/8 ths.
    If you want to get really fancy check out dicks carb repair here on the hamb, he has really nice ones.

3. Thanks, but I want to go with the stock style (as pictured) which I will convert to use paper elements. Hoping for 6"-7" diameter

4. 270dodge

270dodge
    from Ohio

Oil bath cleaners are good. I wonder if you could use the available units and offset the intake portion? Many older cleaners were like that. A little offset adaptation would get what you want.

31Vicky with a hemi likes this.

5. Yes
    if you have a pair of 8-1/2" but need 7-1/2" for Clearance center to center you might be able to just offset the bases 1/2" each, or one of them 1"

6. 270dodge

270dodge
    from Ohio

Offset one, less work. Keep them oil bath. Just my opinion.

7. Check out some of the Dodge and Plymouth truck air cleaners. Or, maybe some of the other makes too. {Ford, G.M.C. etc.} Ford truck sixes used an oil bath cleaner up till 1967{?} Check some of the truck wrecking yards.

8. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

I saw a Hudson Twin H-Power that had a similar problem. Solved by making air filters out of Walmart sauce pans with paper filters inside. Something to keep in mind if all else fails.

9. I may end up doing something like that if I cannot locate some of the smaller units. I'd rather not mess around with trying to offset, may end up doing something like the Hudsons. I want to keep a traditional look, plus the oil bath catches a lot of crud.

10. I also found that the VW type are already offset, may be another option

11. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Look at the filter assemblies from a tune port Firebird from the mid 80s

12. Interesting, I will give it a look

13. Fenders

Fenders

What I was going to say. Good decision.

13 likes this.