Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 32 Ford "You build it" Glass bodies...?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scibjenkins, Oct 9, 2014.

1. scibjenkins

scibjenkins

Alright, so I did a thread a few years back asking about 32 glass bodies. I still haven't bought a body yet because of other projects and budget/storage space limiations. Now I am coming much closer to finally getting a body.

I've been looking around at bodies on eBay and found these unassembled 3 window, 5 window and roadster 32 Ford bodies. The roadster is going for $2,750, the 3 window is $3,300 and the 5 window is $3,400. For these prices, it's just about right for my budget. BUT I would have to assemble the inner framing, wood for the interior and hang the doors and trunk/rumble.

So my question is, has anyone here on the HAMB bought a bare fiberglass body and done the innerstructure and doors themselves???

As I was finishing typing this up I saw a roadster with all the inner structure done for $4.200... Made by Cain's Hot Rods. Verno30 here on the HAMB built a really nice roadster from one of their bodies. For that kind of money, it's hard to argue.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/1932-ford-roadster-build-full-fendered.653460/

But still! If I could save a huge chunk of money, is it really worth it? I want to hear from the people who have tried it, successfully or not.

2. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

Wescott makes one of the best bodies on the market. I have owned 6 of them and never had any problems. You can now find those bodies for around $2500 used, as owners replace them with Brookville bodies. Search Craigslist and you will find one or advertise. Building your own inner structure is not that difficult but buying a complete unit is the way to go in my opinion.

Baron likes this.
  3. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

IF you owned your own fiberglass shop, it might be worth the time to assemble one. If you dont do it everday, even a small upfront investment could be a bad one if the body doesnt turn out good. Take the advice of Mr. Miyagi and use your hard earned money to your advantage.

4. Badrodder

Badrodder

You will save huge amounts of time and worries as the glass guys know all the tricks of building it right . These bodies move around with the summer heat and the framing needs to be done right to cope with it . I have afriend who did his own and the door fit is nowhere near what my manufactured body has ..Brookville or glass they are all replicas ...

5. I bought a glass body years ago and had to do the wood structure and glass it in place,,end result it look like crap,,,stick with the better built bodies. HRP

26 T Ford RPU likes this.
  6. scibjenkins

scibjenkins

7. Its got a nice finish but I cant get used to no vent, no hinges and that fire wall. JW

8. For what you'd pay for that ugly glass body you could easily get a running Model A coupe that would be the real deal and all steel.

Thats what i'd be doing.

Mat Thrasher likes this.
  9. I agree Nick, I was going to get a glass 32 rstr but got my 26 RPU for 4k less, its real and has history. But if that is what you really want......go for it. JW

10. deto

deto

I remember a great thread on here where somebody took a glass bodied coupe that looked like the jegs catalog threw up on it and made a very nice looking ride out of it. He added the right hinges, firewall, and vent if I remember correctly and it looked pretty damn good. If I remember the back story correctly he picked it up for a song and it was a "make the best with what you got" type deal. I'm sure he got some shit for it but I liked the creativity it took to make it look that good.

11. That was a great build tread, the car was stolen and not recovered. JW

12. scibjenkins

scibjenkins

13. There was another with a black '33 / '34 coupe if i remember correctly.. it turned out fucking awesome.. but still.. Model A coupes are awesome as well.. and steel.

14. verde742

verde742

Hey Lynn, I want one of those $2500.00 Wescott body, ready to roll to come get it,
    Bob

15. Check out the '32 roadster and 5w coupe bodies by New Age Motorsports in Connecticuit.
    Excellent products.

16. 34Fordtk

34Fordtk

cough i got a real model a roadster wanna be for sale in the classifieds cough........

17. 4BangerDean

4BangerDean

I like the buy a Model A coupe idea over the ugly glass body. I'm not sure if $7900 gets you a complete running coupe, with a very nice body though.
    I did jump all over my sedan because it ran and drove with an exceptional unrestored rust free body. It gave me a good excuse to buy parts while I search for a coupe or p/u.
    I just noticed you lived in California. I'm sure if you look, you could definitely find an A with a nice body, reasonably priced. It's much harder to do so in the Chicago, Il area.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2014
  18. 54 Chevy

54 Chevy

Show me rod and custom makes nice fiberglass bodies and they are priced good.

19. X2. Doug White is a good guy to deal with. I have one of his 32 roadster bodies and it is a good value. Has an extra 2" in the doors and cockpit.

I would not attempt to steel out and assemble a fiberglass body. Just too many opportunities to F#C* up.

20. My roadster is not a '32 , but the principle is the same..bought a bare shell, fab'd a steel tubing inner structure, doors,floor/trans tunnel, dash ,etc... Could have bought a quality complete assembled , paint-ready body for a lot le$$ and would have saved a ton of time..
    Just my $0.02 worth

21. Bad Ass makes a nice glass body... Barry's (ratrod0) built this beauty and from what I can understand the body is reasonable. HRP

[​IMG]

22. Merlin

Merlin
    from Inman, SC

23. k32t

k32t
    from Hog town

Put one together from pieces. 20 years ago nobody made a stock height 3 window. Tuff job buy a complete body.

24. 4thhorseman

4thhorseman
    from SW Desert

Yeah. Glass sucks. (sarc).
    Depends on your intentions and wallet. I built mine to absolutely haul a$$. Nostalgia "flavor" but lots of modern parts to be competitive. Bought a roller from East Coast Rod Shop. A year later it is heading to the drags with 800hp plus of blown and nitrous'ed big block Ford at 2400lbs. I cruise it on the street as much as possible. Fun!

10710709_916682708359190_5322667092785311564_n.jpg