Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 1955 Ford F-100 disc brakes VS. drum

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1955 F-100 guy, Oct 15, 2014.

?
  1. 1

3 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. 3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. 1955 F-100 guy

1955 F-100 guy
    from NE Pa

Would like to know from ones that have installed a front disc brake kit on their 53-56 Ford F-100 is it worth the money and time to do. Is there a BIG difference from the drum brakes in stopping and pedal pressure, and fade after brakes gets warmed up--must you use a # 10 residuel valve to the front disk and any to the back. I have a frame mount power master cylinder and power steering and a late model V-8 engine with 310 HP-- and original all new and adjusted correct drum brakes-- will I see a BIG-BIG difference with the pushing down pedal pressure and smooth stopping -- Thanks

Last edited: Dec 8, 2014
  2. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

[QUOTE="41 Ford pick-up, post: 10657129, member: 118828"] . Is there a BIG difference from the drum brakes in stopping and pedal -- will I see a BIG-BIG differance with the disc brake kit installed.....[/QUOTE]

The BIG-BIG difference between disc and drum brakes is FADE resistance, both with heat and water. Discs easily dissipate heat and throw off water.......drums do not. It really depends on the kind of driving you do, along with location, speeds, weights, trailer towing, etc. Discs will provide smoother and more even braking, but also require higher hydraulic pressure that can result in greater pedal efforts. Manual disc/drum factory systems were on many late '60s-early '80s small-mid sized vehicles, but do require careful master cylinder sizing and pedal ratios. With your vacuum assist, pedal efforts should be low.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2014
  3. 1955 F-100 guy

1955 F-100 guy
    from NE Pa

The BIG-BIG difference between disc and drum brakes is FADE resistance, both with heat and water. Discs easily dissipate heat and throw off water.......drums do not. It really depends on the kind of driving you do, along with location, speeds, weights, trailer towing, etc. Discs will provide smoother and more even braking, but also require higher hydraulic pressure that can result in greater pedal efforts. Manual disc/drum factory systems were on many late '60s-early '80s small-mid sized vehicles, but do require careful master cylinder sizing and pedal ratios. With your vacuum assist, pedal efforts should be low.[/QUOTE]

I thought by going disc front would make easier pedal effort and not have to push so hard and hope it stops--

4. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

[QUOTE ....I thought by going disc front would make easier pedal effort and not have to push so hard and hope it stops--[/QUOTE]

Drum brakes, in general, but especially the Bendix design on your F-100, partially self energize while applied and require less fluid pressure input than typical disc brakes.....until fade occurs. The vacuum booster you already have will provide lower pedal efforts with a front disc conversion than the manual drum brakes you now have, along with overall better braking.
    You would need a 2 lb. residual to the front discs and a 10 lb. residual to the old rear drums. An adjustable prop valve is also a good addition with a front disc conversion.

5. 1955 F-100 guy

1955 F-100 guy
    from NE Pa

6. I'd leave the stock drum brakes on it. I have those same brakes on my '32 and '36 and they work just fine.

7. 42merc

42merc

It's difficult to get a straight answer, is it not ?

8. These answers are opinions. I'm fine with the 53-6 on my coupe. Never had a problem. My drums work fine for me. The other posters disc work fine for him.

9. bchctybob

bchctybob

I agree, the F-100 brakes worked great on my '29 pickup but it was only around 2500-2700 lbs they were stopping.
    I put the CPP disc brakes and the CPP power booster/master cylinder combo (with stock pedals) on my '55 F-100. I use my truck. Pulling trailers, hauling stuff, you name it my poor ol' Ford truck has done it and I'm mighty glad I updated the brakes.
    As far as pedal effort, the CPP stuff seems to require moderate pressure for average stopping, not over-powered and not too hard. My only beef is that they have never had a really firm pedal, they have always felt slightly "spongy". I suppose I should replace the stock-type front flex hoses with better ones but I'm used to the way it drives now and it's no problem.
    I'm for the disc upgrade if you use it as a truck.

10. 1955 F-100 guy

1955 F-100 guy
    from NE Pa

11. uc4me

uc4me

I used the CPP power booster/master cylinder setup and the front disc conversion from mid fifty (or speedway, I can't recall). Pedal effort is what I would consider normal. Upgraded brakes are a must if you are going to drive the truck any kind of traffic or at modern highway speeds. I also went with a bigger than stock drum on the rear when I installed the 9 inch.

12. lakesmod

lakesmod

Take a look @ performance on line.
    I bought there disc brake kits for the front and rear.
    Good customer support.

13. lakesmod

lakesmod

14. 1955 F-100 guy

1955 F-100 guy
    from NE Pa