Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical video on how I made a set of 1930s wings (fenders)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mindover, Oct 14, 2014.

1. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

I thought I would share a link to a video I just posted showing the stages of making a set of complex wings (fenders) in steel. These are some 1938 BMW wings but are similar to many wings of the period.

The beginning of the video shows some of the many photos I took of the process of making the wings then there is some video of the wings. I hope it shows what can be achieved using traditional panel beating skills. Unlike photos video enables the viewer to see the finish of the panel. I made the video to show what we can do here at Classic Metal Shaping but I hope some people on this forum will enjoy it for its traditional metalshaping content as the wings are hand crafted.

Here is the link...

David

Last edited: Oct 14, 2014
  2. I clicked on the video link and it just brought me to the You Tube page not to the direct video. I would enjoy watching this though if you could update the link. Thanks.

3. toreadorxlt

toreadorxlt
    from Nashua, NH

nice work dave.

4. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

Thanks for letting me know, I thought I tested it when I put it up. Now I have embedded it when I tried to link it. Oh well I hope it works for you.

David

5. Beautiful work,are you just hand making the fenders or restoring the car? HRP

6. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

Thank you, they were a lot of work. I am just making the fenders for this car.

7. The link worked now, thank you.
    All i can say is wow very impressive work! You're a true craftsmen.

8. bobw

bobw

Absolutely beautiful! How many hours do you have in them?

9. art dekko

art dekko

Great video, thanks for sharing. It looks like you used the original front wings as a buck for making the new ones. Doesn't this make the new ones larger than the original ones by the thickness of the metal?

10. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

People say this quite often.

Making bucks is an expensive business. I doubt very much that anyone could make bucks and then produce wings on the bucks and the wings be any more accurate than these. Bucks can cost as much as the wings, Its not worth making bucks for a one off job, at least if I can get away with it. I have developed ways of using the wings as bucks over the years. I compensate while making the wings.
    Even if the wings were larger by one metal thickness could you tell? and if it saves you thousands of dollars would you worry?.

The original wings were half an inch different to each other in width from the inner flange to the outer edge across the middle, I rectified this so mine are more accurate than the originals lol.

David

11. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

Thank you for the nice words, many hours! there is around six weeks work in the four wings. I had to true up the original wings before I could use them as bucks. These are very complex wings though most sets of four would take four weeks or so.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2014
  12. Nice work David! Any chance you can post some of the pictures you used in the video of the pieces being made?

13. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

Thanks! K13 if I get time and if the wings are not out of place on the hamb I might make a thread on the building of the wings.

David

14. art dekko

art dekko

Thanks for the explanation.

15. wow, the first section of that video hurt my brain with all of the images darting around the screen.

You are clearly a master at what you do and those fenders/guards/wings came out perfect. Well done.

Quality work is never out of place on the HAMB and I know I would love to see a thread on how you made these (or on any of the work you do for that matter). Always keen to learn.

16. They certainly turned out "Sexy"!

17. CruizCalifornia

CruizCalifornia

Beautifully done work, and well done on the video as well, nice quality documentation.

Frank

low budget likes this.
  18. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

No problem. Thanks for taking the time to ask a question.

I made the photo montage slower to begin with but it seemed boring so I made it faster.
    I will make a thread on these soon then, I have quite a few threads on here but most of the photos are missing since the upgrade of the site recently. The photos are in my albums so it seems to me that there is just an oversite on the admin side probably just a link missing. It does not look like it is going to be sorted out though. I don't have time to reinsert all the photos in the threads. I have a build thread on my '27 T but I dont have much enthusiasm to post in it now because all the photos are missing. If you want to see more of my stuff you can look in my albums and check out my websites. I will be updating the Classic Metal Shaping site soon.

Thank you. thanks for taking the time to comment.

Thanks Frank, I tried to show the process in a short time so it would not be boring.

I will be doing some reviews on metalshaping tools soon I get asked a lot of questions about tools and I noticed there was no metalshaping tool reviews on youtube so thought it might be usefull to people interested in taking it up as a hobbie but don't know where to start.

David

19. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

Dave...dude...they are FENDERS

I am constantly amazed at the quality of craftsmen here on the Hamb. My ultimate dream would be a perfectly metal finished 3w that would never be painted.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  20. Maybe send a quick message to Ryan to see if there is something that can be done on his end to restore the photos.

21. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

A fender is something we put 'round a coal fire here. Got to say fender makes more sense than wing, same with a lot of the 'Americanisms'.

Half the photos on the site are missing. mine were originally linked from photobucket and have not been moved but there is now a copy of them in my albums but no link in the threads. I have asked Ryan about it and I don't think they know how to sort it out.

Cheers guys,

David

22. Seriously.... How long did it take to complete the first front wing?

23. So you charged him 7000£ for the four fenders?
    Great detailed work.

24. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

David,
    I purchased one of your metal shaping DVDs. Very informative.

Ago

25. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

I had to sort the original wings out and make some tooling. Then I made the first wing.

Does that sound too cheap? Lol like I said above I had to sort out the wings and make tooling before I started. And there is some materials.

I am glad you liked it. Thanks for posting.

David

26. Beautiful stuff there mindover.
    How many hours would you guess?

Ok, I need to learn the "finishing" part of metal shaping. I have a few but little troubles getting metal to go from point A to point B, ( sometimes I have trouble establishing where point B should be :) but that's just me) but getting a mud free finish is something I'd like to learn.

27. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

Last edited: Oct 17, 2014
  28. Incredible work as usual David! Please do not give up on the '27 roadster thread. I check it quite often for an update as it is keeping me motivated to tackle mine! (Perhaps a little selfish on my part but I don't care, haha!)
    Cheers! Mike

29. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

Thanks Mike, I think I might re-post all the photos in my '27 T thread then it will be worth updating it. I have built the body so far from bits of information gathered from wherever I could find it. My friend Glen has bought a '27 T roadster body and I will have it here for a while so will be able to work from that. I will soon get it finished once I have the body to copy.

David

30. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Definitely do whatever you can to restore and continue your roadster body build. There are many of us patiently waiting for the next installment.

Frank

kidcampbell71 likes this.