Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The bucket of ugly! A de-uglifying thread...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by need louvers ?, Aug 14, 2013.

1. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Fuzzy: That orange '28 on the R&C cover is one of my all time favorites. Wonder what ever became of it? (Wink wink)

Last edited: Oct 14, 2014
  2. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Thats Gary Rickels T, pretty high profile car. Injected nailhead, another circa mid-late sixties T with a verticle windshield. Neat car, but a little more "over-the-top" than the Debenidictus/Thompson/Penry cars that have such an influence on Chip and I..

3. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Bowie, man I love your 3 window, but I finally checked your albums and saw your 'vette!! Sweet Jesus!! You sir, have some SERIOUSLY good taste!! Colour me green!!

4. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Yup, not even close to "Faddish". A few trinkets I don't care for, but NOT "Faddish" by any stretch.

5. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

[​IMG]

Okay gang, how about some discussion? I do like lots of things about Dennis DeBennedictus' car, and one of them (I think) is the way the upholstery wraps over the top of the body and is fastened with snaps. I say I think, 'cause I have been obsessing a bit with upholstery for these things a lot lately. Friday I made a new seat base for my car with better material than the cast off, rotted plywood used before, and much better craftsmanship. Now that the summer is gone, I'm thinking it's time to put in at least some basic "no sew" stuff to be a bit more comfortable in the car for the season just starting.

My first thought was to wrap it over the top of the interior "former" that is screwed into the back of my body, so that the top edge of the body would be exposed. Very clean, but two thoughts arise.

1.The top of my car's body is truly not the best of the fiberglass blowers art. It can and will be smoothed out when the car gets paint, but it is a bit rough.

2. The more I think about it, I don't ever remember seeing cars from the target era done that way. I'm afraid that it might be construed as "modern", especially without the typical rolls and pleats normally seen, but that won't be present in my car.

3. The third way I have seen this done is to laminate or screw a tack strip to the top of the body all the way around to roll the upholstery over and tack to with a hide'em welt around it's base so the body reveals are visible with the upholstery in place. Not so hot on this one myself, as I think it tends to look too "puffy"....

What do you guys think? Quite honestly, what ever I do right now will be to clean up the looks a bit with out going too nuts money wise, and will probably be redone fairly soon when time is better and I have better access to a commercial machine and bit clearer idea of what I see in my minds eye.

So what do you think? Roll it over the inner panels and see the top of the body, or perhaps roll it over the top of the body like DeBennedictus' car, but a bit closer to the top and do the snaps deal?

6. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I'm into bare interiors for Hotrods, so my opinion is your first thought. Much like a multiple choice test, your first choice is usually the right one.

7. I knew Dennis. I stood next to this car in his garage in San Leandro when it had a top and a 471 Blower. I don't remember the upholstery rolling over the top like that. Maybe he changed it later? Or I just didn't notice it. I don't care for it now. I really like the car though, and was surprised when he sold it. He built a full fendered 28/29 "A" Roadster after this car. He had a 33/34 3 window coupe (maybe a 5 window? Been a long time.) in roller stage but never finished it. Anyway, as to your question. I wouldn't roll it over as far as Dennis's car. Keep it as small as possible.

8. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Well, by now you know how I feel about the DeBenidictus car, so you can guess what I'm gonna say. I have always really liked that look anyway. And I agree 100% with number 1, I cant think of any sixties bench seat t-buckets off the top of my head that DIDNT wrap the upholstery over the top of the bucket. Wont say there weren't any, but I sure as hell cant think of any.

On another tangent, remember we were talking about lockers a couple pages back, and I mentioned they could catch you up if you werent paying attention? Well I was driving my WAAAY O/T daily (4.56's and locker) in pretty heavy rain today, pussyfooting along at part throttle with due diligence in a line of 45 mph traffic, and the pass. side tire went over a slightly sunken manhole cover on a shallow curve, the locker decided that was sufficient justification to couple up, and the ass-end immediately scooted about a foot sideways. Got my attention, but the asshole in the Pathfinder that was tailgating me sure backed off in a hurry!!

9. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Sweet. Not the scooting, but the ass hat that was tail gating getting a wake up call.

10. Bowie - I'm not sure what you mean?? wink - wink - wink

11. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

You know guys, I see Dennis's roadster as a transition build and I really like most of it. In fact I had a picture of it over my work bench at the Telephone Co. all through my build. Again I wish I had kept that photo. It really is a '50s built steel T bucket with banjo diff. and '40 Ford brakes that he updated to early '60s style with mag wheels, overstuffed upholstery, pearl orange paint and lots of chrome after he bought it. I wouldn't be surprised if it hadn't been an oval track racer before he bought it. Nobody in the '50s would be caught dead with a chain shifter but by the '60s that sort of thing was being done and we all thought it was kool. You could buy chrome chain steering wheels then too. Guys were putting on those brass rams horn rubber bulb horns about that time. I kinda wonder if that dash was in it when Dennis bought it or if it was another over the top thing that he did after seeing what Ivo had done with the dash in his T.
    As for the upholstery Chip I think Dennis somewhat overdid the body wrap as everybody at that time were overdoing things. A less padded smaller wrap would look better.

falcongeorge likes this.
  12. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Fuzzy Knight: I was under the impression that your roadster is the old Curt Holmquist rod. That car pretty well set the bar for me, on '28- '29 highboys. If not I like your car alot,sorry for my misinterpretation.

13. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

falcongeorge: THANK YOU very mutch, means alot coming from somone who knows his shit! My oldies are all far from perfect, but I enjoy them. I'd post up a bunch more of my "stuff" if I wouldn't be such a tecno-neanderthal!

14. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Chip: Sorry to get OT above. As mutch as I like the DeBennedictus car; I think steel rebel's idea of a "less padded smaller wrap" would look great. Like at least an inch less down over the side of the body. PS: That car is just cryn' for a big ol' Hurst in her!

15. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

X3 on Gary's suggestion of a "less padded smaller wrap"

16. missysdad1

missysdad1

Tweedy-Pie-T-Bucket-for-sale.jpg I'm not a big fan of the Harley-Davidson Softail Heritage look on the orange bucket either. Too "studly" for me. Looks good on the original application but not on a bucket.

I do like the original upholstery on the Tweedy Pie bucket, several versions of which were just posted by Jive-Bomber in his weekly feature post here on the HAMB. Not the restored version as seen in a couple of the pix, but of the original version as seen in the for-sale ad I've attached.

The difference is that in the original the center part is upholstered as if it had a separate seat, with a "roadster roll" at the top. While the sides are decidedly different and roll up and over, but not down over the body character line. This gives the interior a very '28 - '32 hot rod roadster appearance...but applied to a bucket body.

The restored version (Galpin Ford) - while somewhat close to the original - misses the point completely by making the back too wide and the shape somewhat undefined and looks more like an overstuffed couch.

17. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

What is general opinion at chips little corner at the HAMB, regarting this car;
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1413300528.128817.jpg

I really dig the car with just two head lights, and not a big fan of the colour.
    I prefer painted wheels.
    But All in All a beautiful car!

Jive-bomb did a feature on it, and I really likes it.
    Is it more a modified, hence no bucket. Or am I wrong again?

EDIT missysdad types faster then me

dana barlow likes this.
  18. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

IT"S NOT that Hard to be soft;LOL
    The upper body cockpit lip,to me is very good to have padded=lot of things I could say,but not needed.,I did a { No Sew} type lip on my son's "T" an a Tech for you all}starts at bottom of page of link,but the door panels below are sew'ed a little,as for rolled n plate,I used the }no sew{ pre heat sealed pleated=I like the looks of it and it was same stuff I had in my old rod back in 1960 when ya could only get the heat sealed rolled n pleat in ether black or white. The lip part of my TECH should be of interest,other things in it too.;
    Go to very bottom of pages on this link;
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/tech-sew-at-home-upholsrety-hot-rod.604077/page-2
    [​IMG]

brEad and falcongeorge like this.
  19. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I know what he means, nudge, nudge, wink, wink...;):D

20. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

One thing I LOVE, is how what car guys consider "just every day stuff" scares the ever-lovin SHIT outta most civilians...:p I always though Frieburgers "car guy safe" editorial was about the best thing he ever wrote, laughed my ass off reading that for the first time...

21. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I dont know if its just a local thing, but we always called those cars with a tank in the back, the rear crossmember right up on the back of the bucket and the relatively high rear stance "bob-tail T's", for what should be obvious reasons. I seem to even recall the same terminology was used in an Ar N Cee' cartoon once. Maybe I can find it.

dana barlow likes this.
  22. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

For anyone who hasn't read this tech before, it is a must read, really good stuff.

dana barlow likes this.
  23. Bowie - Yes my car is Curts old car. Originally built by Ernie from Coronado then sold to Carl Burnett which in turn sold it to Curt. It was a nice car when I got it but it was unreliable. Every time I took it some where something would break. Sooooo I drove it in the garage and made it my car.

bowie likes this.
  24. Ah...that would be Arin Cee, George. Just sayin'. Not that I'm touchy about it, but keep in mind that "cartoons" is my life. It's not been easy being two-dimensional all these years.

dana barlow likes this.
  25. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Sory Arin, mi speling isant veri guud...:D

brEad and dana barlow like this.
  26. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

August 1969 Hot Rod. Debenidictus 003.jpg

Debenidictus 001.jpg

dana barlow likes this.
  27. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Easily one of the greatest car magazine editorials EVER written! "Is your car safe, or is it "car guy" safe? I mean, do you have to pump the brakes twice before anything happens? Does it go hard right when you mat it?..."
    I still quote that one daily!

Seriously non politically correct, but the other Frieburger-ism I use WAY too much is "It dropped parts like a leper on a trampoline!" Try saying that one around "normies"!

falcongeorge likes this.
  28. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

You know, its funny, I have talked about this, but this afternoon was the first time I realized the photo that ruined an innocent young child for life in 1968 hasn't actually been posted on here.
    Earlier in this thread, I mentioned that the DeBenidictis car was so special to me because it was the first hot rod that ever got that gut level "I gotta have one of those!" reaction from me at the tender age of eight. Prior to seeing this photo in Hot Rods coverage of the '67 Oakland Roadster Show, I was a committed muscle car/Tri-5 kind of kid (long before the neo-traditionalists decided to re-write the definition for us, hot rods were considered pre-48 only, and most of us thought of them as pre-'41).
    Debenidictus.jpg

It wasnt the wood chips, or the cowl lights, or the bulb horn. It wasn't the Omaha Orange, or the keeno Tommy The Greek striping. It was those chromed backing plates, the VHT white headers, the americans and those damned Goodyear Blue Streaks. THATS what corrupted that innocent young mind!!
    Ever since then, T buckets with skinny front tires stretched over 6" five spokes with chromed backing plates and white headers have just had this effect on me. And if it has a STUPID big cam and big gears, well, Ima goner...

29. Politically correct??? Your talking to the wrong group!!