Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The bucket of ugly! A de-uglifying thread...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by need louvers ?, Aug 14, 2013.

1. /
    didn't you spell that wrong, isn't it spelt r e c t u m :D:D:D:D

2. Now Chip, he was just trying to match the color! :eek: You should challenge him to a rematch after it's Competition Orange! :D

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

3. Ps. I hope you washed it today! :eek:

4. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

A lot of guys on here seem to have gotten the wrong end of the stick. As much as it sets my teeth on edge to do so, I guess I have to straighten it out. I have no problem with what Chip was saying, I was enjoying the back and forth. What pisses me off is when guys pop up on a thread they otherwise rarely post on, just to bitch...;)
    I knew from past experience, my little tuning story would draw heat if posted on most other threads on the HAMB, but I was hoping it wouldn't start the usual drama if I posted here, because of the familiarity of the guys that inhabit this thread. I decided to post it anyway, I figured it was pertinant and guys would learn from it. I was wrong, never should have started down that road. Back to your regularly scheduled programming.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2014
    need louvers ? and Dick Stevens like this.
  5. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Falcon, I've thought about you deleting your tech and I can truly relate to the frustration of giving free, correct advice and having it picked apart and misunderstood. But when you delete it, you take it away from the people who "get it" and may use it.

There are always going to be people who, pop into a conversation or thread and without having a clue to the discussion going on, spew out false knowledge or just plain ridicule it. It happens everyday. At my job, a person who does that usually gets ignored. He's not even worth the breath it takes to say, "Shut the fuck up."

Trust me. I'm sure the people who "got it" are grateful for receiving it. And now, for future readers, it's gone.

6. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

But on the flip side, if I leave it up then all the guys who want to up thier "Hamb trad cred":rolleyes: jump on the bandwagon, and the "drama" blows up exponentially from there. In my experience, its just not worth the grief. I just wanna let this die at this point, I really wish I'd never said anything. Gary, I am still gonna send you a pm.

loudbang likes this.
  7. Its now called the T-bag T-bucket

daddio211 likes this.
  8. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

9. Can we just get back to Chip's T bucket PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Yea, cmon Chip, PAINT YER FLIPPIN CAR!!:D

madmike8 likes this.
  11. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

Is there a Dis-like button?
    I just Google T-baging, thats even more disgusting then the picture of some guy ass beside chips bucket!

What is about other people these days.
    The are three things there a sacred in this world;
    A Man's wife/kids, his car and his dog!
    If any of these three things are violated it's okay to take a shotgun/torch to the part of the purpetrader that did the bad did!!!!!!

Rant over!
    Back to the regular show!

Falcongeorge;
    Can I come on the short PM list who gets the Ignition course, for the above average user level! :D

I enjoyed your post very much, but did'nt get it copyed and saved for further Reading! :(

Last edited: Oct 13, 2014
    Dick Stevens likes this.
  12. brad2v

brad2v

I would also like a copy of "Georges tuning tips, I wish I had printed it when it was up.

13. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Okay I didn't want to do it but you forced me. Yes another posting of my favorite '60s vintage bucket. The Dennis DeBenedictis roadster. I really miss him. We got to be good email friends in the last few years of his life. He had become the keeper of the records of the Bay Area Roadsters club. I really wish I had written down all he told me about his roadster. It was a steel body hot rod when he bought it and was built by an old time Oakland Ca. hot rodder in the early 50s. It had one of those ugly square turtle decks on it when he bought it When they came out with the fiberglass beds he bought one of the first. He modified the bolt pattern on a '30s Buick tranny. to bolt to the SMB Chevy bell housing. He said it only took drilling of two extra holes.

SANY0002.jpg

14. pitman

pitman

Better just to chuckle, George. The "beneath-the-bridge" population soared when chats took on life. The other day I was pronounced, "Not A Chevy Guy!" I then thought, "Any other insights Bub?" An older rodder, (Alan Berry) would say, "These guys were wearing three-cornered pants...when we were building."

15. jalopy45

jalopy45

Ran across an aluminum T bucket frame with a kick-up in the rear at Herhsey last week, looked well made, fellow said they were made in the midwest, any clues as to their history? also a $1400 deuce firewall.

16. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Sometime over the next couple days I'll do a whole bunch of babble about tuning/my experience with MSD's in a word doc, and pm it to you guys.
    That aluminum bucket frame is interesting. On the DeBenidictus car, IIRC, the original 1969 Hot Rod article on the car mentioned that the body was steel and the bed was glass. I should dig that article out and post it here.

17. MAS made some aluminum "T" frames, they had some displayed when they were down on Hennepin Ave in olden times.

18. stimpy

stimpy

man thats one ugly ass louver ...

19. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

George
    I'd really like to see the DeBinictis roadster in the '69 hot rod mag. In fact I'd like to have it. If you know the exact month let me know. I'll see if I have it or I'll try to buy it on ebay. I actually worked at the phone Co. with his wife from the early '60s through the '80s. I asked her once if the body on his T was fiberglass or steel. She said it was steel and the bed was fiberglass. Years later when I got to know him in the late '90s or early 2000s he confirmed it. I'd like to know what the dash was made from. It looks like maybe an old Chevy valve cover.
    You know life is funny. He and I grew up about a block apart in '50s Oakland and he went to school with my older brother. Then in '62 I applied for a job and his wife worked in the Phone Co. personal department and hired me then about 40 years later I was trying to get in touch with an old Bay Area Roadster member and sent an email to their address and he answered it.
    Gary

20. George,

Please put me on the list as well.

Gary,

August 1969 issue. There is one on http://www.nitroactive.net/sixties_hrmags.html, but they want WAY too much money for it (IMHO anyway). I'm sure you can find one way cheaper on that auction site. It's the one with the Howard Cams Rattler being pushed by a 1967 Chevelle / El Camino.

21. nobux

nobux

aaaaaadebe2.jpg

The car does have a cool look to it. But I'm not so sure about the dash and the shifter. I like it better sans top.

Andys3rdAnnualPicnic-July69-Kodachrome14.jpg

22. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Just bought the mag. on ebay. Thanks guys. I agree their are a few things on there DeBinictis T I don't like but you have to admit it is pretty bitchin overall and the workmanship is great. I actually tried to trace it down a couple of years ago and lost track after the second owner after Dennis.

Digging through my old mags I found this Jan. '60. Ivo's T didn't start getting ugly until Bill Rolland sold it.
    SANY0116.jpg nnis.

23. I am guessing this would be the Quintessential Fad T
    [​IMG]

24. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Ha, YES, I can give you some insight with these frames! Initially, they came out of my dad's shop, Racing Unlimited in St.Paul from '62 - '72. They were the brainchild of he and his welder fabricator "Scotty". They were loosely patterned from a second series of articles that Car Craft ran on building a T-Bucket in '67 and '68. Several dimensions were changed in the process, though. Most had Corvair coil suspension at all four corners, too. Our two family cars when I was a kid were based on these chassis, with my mom's being a metal flake purple Chev powered car, and my dad's being a metal flake green with a 215 aluminum Buick engine. With it's rear Halibrands, and wire motorcycle type fronts, his car couldn't have weighed anything at all. Other than funky, aluminum radiator shells, these were both knock out late sixties kinda "over excess" cars.

When Racing Unlimited collapsed under the weight of my dad's demons in '72-'73, all of the T-Bucket kit stuff was sold off to M.A.S., including body molds, and several of the aluminum frames (I'm guessing 6 or 7 or so, going strictly with what I remember being on the wall at our Cleveland fab shop where I got off the bus from school) I do know for a fact that when I bought my first T-Bucket body from M.A.S. in the summer of '81, they still had one of the original Racing Unlimited aluminum frames still in stock, as they offered it to me. Unfortunately, I had already built a frame at the body shop I worked at.

So ya, that's the history of aluminum frames from the Mid-West...

daddio211 likes this.
  25. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Not even. It would a few more years before the excess took over in T Bucket Land. IMO, that's just a bad ass Bucket. I'd add front brakes, lose the lantern lights and chop the windshield, but that's how my imagination works.

26. Well guys at last I can post something of interest, I've just scored a 350 and trans for my C cab truck build. It was in a OT XJ6 Jag that the body rusted off. Motor and trans in reasonable order. So I will be looking for lots of info on setting one up for reasonable street performance. I know there's lots already on the Hamb but nothing like getting it from the horses' mouth so to speak.
    So George I'd be interested in your info as well.....please:)

27. jalopy45

jalopy45

That explains the round pockets in the rear. For. $300 I should have grabbed it and figured a way to get it home. I did buy a Vertex mag and a Creitz intake. 95 % restores there.

28. Again guys, it has taken me a day or two to catch up again and by from what I read I missed out on some excellent info from George on ignitions. One thing about this thread is that the regulars may get a wee bit upset with other visitors but once they have split after saying a mouthful of verbal diarrhoea, the regs. grab another cool one and sit back to enjoy the friendly banter. I for one may not say a hell of a lot but guys, I'm all ears and ready to soak up all the excellent info that you more knowledgeable guys freely give so please, keep it up.
    Can somebody give me an idea of what the shifter was in the orange T that has just been shown as I am scratching my head with it, looks like a custom chain link sort of deal but not sure.

29. jerry

jerry

falcongeorge,

Please add me to the tech PM list.

I've learned a lot of what I know by keeping my mouth shut at the right times. Always appreciate when someone wants to share some knowledge.

jerry

30. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Whip
    It was popular about then to weld together chain chrome it and use it for shifters and even motorcycle frames. Not my favorite part of Dennis's t but it was the start of the ugly wild '60s.

Gary

whiplash1923T likes this.