Register now to get rid of these ads!

26-7 T Modified Build ALL FORD - BY FORD

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fastrnu, Nov 24, 2010.

1. Thread is full of knowledge and amusement. Great work on it, AND the car. Obviously not your first rodeo. Keep it up.

2. fastrnu

fastrnu
    from shelton,wa

Kewl, not much with computers. Thought thumbnails were easier for folks to load.

3. fastrnu

fastrnu
    from shelton,wa

Thank you sir! BTW like your avatar.I had a 70 torino GT 429 cobra in high school backin 1972. Paid $1200 for it workin on farms. Folks took it away after my mom caught me doing a block long smoke show leaving my high school.

kidcampbell71 and kiwijeff like this.
  4. Wow !! You are the only one to get it right thus far.....this one started life as a panel painted 70's reject....non original motor. Now it's an IFS, shock tower eliminated 557 five speed with a shaker. I cringe using it here.....but I've had it for over 23 years, and it will stay until I get a phaeton track nose built.

That's why guys like you are my heroes. I've always paid for fab, paint, interior, and some mechanical.......this place......what people start with.....the stuff that gets resurrected.....done in real time....often by hand.......with your own shit. WOW. Let's just say I have shuffled, what I thought was a capable garage....and have added some really cool tools of late.....keep it going, so I can keep learning !!

I would have said that I know plenty......but here......often one knows not as much. Amazing talent here.

5. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

This is such a cool little car, really dig it.
    The 4banger is okay, not a big turbo-fan, but WTH, you do nice work, and Follow true on all you things, and especialy on all the small stuff.
    I'm Subscribed! B-)

Keep ad it. :D

6. fastrnu

fastrnu
    from shelton,wa

Good to see you on here my friend. did you ever get those pics to open?

7. fastrnu

fastrnu
    from shelton,wa

"That's why guys like you are my heroes. I've always paid for fab, paint, interior, and some mechanical.......this place......what people start with.....the stuff that gets resurrected.....done in real time....often by hand.......with your own shit. WOW. Let's just say I have shuffled, what I thought was a capable garage....and have added some really cool tools of late.....keep it going, so I can keep learning !!
    I would have said that I know plenty......but here......often one knows not as much. Amazing talent here."

Again thank you! I take that as a compliment!
    As for MY garage, I will post pics later. Its looks like something out of "Where's Waldo" My cool tools consist of things like ancient hand tools, grinders armed with a flapper disc, a grinding wheel, and one for a cut off wheel. I upgraded and bought a new one as I got tired of changing back and forth from flapper to cut off LOL. We don't have a brake but do have a "55willys Knee Bender 2000". My drill press is an antique "Crafsman" table top model, with an, old 1/2" gear reduction drill in it. After doing the bones I swept up 4lbs of metal grindings. That's aside from the other couple pounds that went behind my freezer/work bench and everything within 3'.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2014
    kidcampbell71 likes this.
  8. fastrnu

fastrnu
    from shelton,wa

006 (640x426).jpg 005 (640x426).jpg A buddy came by looking for some model A part so 55 and I got him to help get the body down and set it on the frame to get a current perspective. Keep the vision fresh in our minds. Here's a couple shots...
    The tires are Goodyead bias plys...750-16 in the rear = 32" high which puts the spindle at 16" off the ground. Fronts are 500/525-16 =27' which puts theier spindles 13.5' off the ground. thats 2.5 inch rake on a 96" wheelbase.
    Front cross member sits 3.5-4" off the ground. Right now trying to decide on whether to go with wide 5's or wire spokes. It seems traditional rodders like wires, racers prefer wide 5 for less wheel flex. Got both seem to keep twistin it in my mind.

bct and kidcampbell71 like this.
  9. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

Yes, I did. Thats such a nice truck.
    I might not get the full pictures, but I like what I see!
    The lack of approns, the colour on wheels and the use of spider webs (in that attention colour) ain't my thing! At least to me, does it look like the only turn/let downs on a nicely build truck.

And the totally shiney/chromed Edelbrock twins with stack, dosen't look the part, to me. But I love the intake, that sweet looking.
    I want my trucks to be humble, and have the look of a workhorse, that has proven it does what it surpose to do. And the ability to go fast.
    And you nailed it. B)

Sorry for drifting of from this topic!

Just a fast question, the guy in all the pictures is that 55willys/ mr Ford? Or you? Is the kid you?
    I'm a little confused.

10. 55willys

55willys

The long haired freak is 55willys, Mr. Ford, Jim Ford as in that would be me. Jim Ford

11. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

This solves half it. :) and I corrected you post.

You do great work! Both of you!!!

Just curious, the 55willys 2000 kneebender, does the 2000 part referes to the metric length it can bend, or the year it first started to be rented out on a hourly basis? :D

Does the future involve a hood? Everything with a T belt derserves/needs to be double sheltered from the elements!
    And it hides/protects the turbo, that looks odd, but does a big difference in power.
    How is weather around you, dessert like, European or canadian?

Last edited: Oct 12, 2014
  12. fastrnu

fastrnu
    from shelton,wa

The lack of approns, the colour on wheels and the use of spider webs (in that attention colour) ain't my thing! At least to me, does it look like the only turn/let downs on a nicely build truck.
    And the totally shiney/chromed Edelbrock twins with stack, dosen't look the part, to me.

Thats OK you and I are different people. No defense here, just my thinking. I think everything through at least 5-6 times before I do it. Many years as a contractor. The wabs started with my 28. became trade mark. My art backgound (also published photographer) taught me about contrasting colors.....The twin carbs was an over the top statement. The original motor had a 292 cam 3000-6500rpm range the Offy crossram is also 3000-6500 seemed like the thing to do. With new motor matched a early Torker manifold to my 268 cam. Went with an original Mr Gasket scoop. As for the no splash aprons they did not come on a 25TT (Ton Truck). My original plan was to use 5" diesel stacks laid along the frame. Hence the 16 hrs of hand builing the truss type running board braces. also much stronger then model T.

Jim/55willys is the hairy guy. I'm the old semi balding guy lol The kid is my 5 yo daughter that loves to hide under the truck when I am grinding. I tell her "Stay back and don't let the sparks hit you" My 16 yo daughter took the pick.
    Again nice to here from you!

13. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

Okay great. It a great truck! And all in all, I really dig it. No doubt a about it.

And this build too! I like the light weight plan and the whole modified look is great!
    The car got a good flow visualy.

hotcoupe and fastrnu like this.
  14. fastrnu

fastrnu
    from shelton,wa

010 (640x426).jpg 007 (426x640).jpg 008 (640x426).jpg "WOW. Let's just say I have shuffled, what I thought was a capable garage....and have added some really cool tools of late.....keep it going, so I can keep learning !!"

Here's a couple shots of my high end shop and a shot out the door of momma's 31.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2014
  15. fastrnu

fastrnu
    from shelton,wa

013 (426x640).jpg 012 (426x640).jpg

7 degree reemer came. now we can clean up some holes, cut some new ones, and put things back together.

16. 55willys

55willys

Thanks for the complement volvobrynk! Masterbuilder? I hope I can live up to that, but I have so much to learn and the more I learn the more there is to learn.

Knee bender 2000 is a joke that plays homage to an American TV character Tim the Tool Man Taylor off the show Home Improvement. He was always trying to hot rod the tools and get more power out of them, and one tool was the Bimford 2000.

No hood, we are removing the timing belt guard and running it open, turbo will have 2 Stromberg carbs feeding it with progressive linkage.

As for the weather, the summer was pretty dry this year but on my way home Saturday there was some flooding down town and I drove through a foot(629mm) of water with my pickup. That to say we have entered the wet season, looks like rain for as far as the forecast go's. Good time to be out in the garage working. Jim Ford

17. fastrnu

fastrnu
    from shelton,wa

Since we got the reamer we have reamed the 2 steering arms ( still need to do a little torch work on them) Also reamed the hole on our steering loop so we could put a tapered model a ball in it. Finaly made the cut and shortened the drag link. Would post pics but blew it back apart and am going after getting my A shocks mounted. Will post pics in the AM. Been a long day heading for the hay.

18. fastrnu

fastrnu
    from shelton,wa

003 (640x426).jpg 002 (640x426).jpg OK! Here goes. Here's a couple pics of how the A perches look. Stillk need to work the boss'e down a little. Much better then my stupid looking piece's of 1'X2" box with a piece of DOM welded to it. WHO'S BRIGHT IDEA WAS THAT?

19. 55willys

55willys

I agree they do look better along with the vintage shackles. Jim

20. fastrnu

fastrnu
    from shelton,wa

008 (640x426).jpg 271 (640x426).jpg 274 (426x640) (426x640).jpg ] While its been pretty socked in here I put a sweeper fan in my garage and now have heat in most of it. I used to have to bundle up and stay within 8ft of my wood stove. That puppy cooks now even below freezing outside. Last week I got after the steering. As with most modifieds a "Quick Release" is pretty neccassary due to the tight fit getting in and out. We didnt want to go with the typical Limeworks wheel and aftermarket column. We are using the tube off my F-1 box and an original T wheel. Our plan is to use a sprint car quick release and keep it hiden inside the Model T steering head. We cut the Head (gear reduction assembly) off an old T column and gutted it. The topshaft (with the planetary gear) was pretty trashed. So Jim (55willys) took a 5/8 bolt, sleeved it, and cut a new keyway. this was welded to the apater he machined for the top of the Quick Release. To mount the Quick Release to the steering shaft we had a double male piece made to fit inside the shaft and inside the Quick release. This will be hidden inside the tube with a nice new bearing. If it works out as planed, the only part of the quick release showing will be under the Model T steering head. Heres some pics for your minds eye.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2014
  21. chessterd5

chessterd5
    from u.s.a.

Hello, cool model T. Just wondering if there is anything new? thanks.

daddio211 and volvobrynk like this.
  22. 55willys

55willys

It is back burner for a while, I am concentrating my efforts on my manufacturing business on top of my full time job. I am doing lots of R&D on new products. Wide five disc brake kits, remote fill dual circuit master cylinder kit for Willys 4x4, Willys disc brake kit for stock wheels, just to name a few. fastrnu has been doing house and yard projects all summer.
    IMG_20151019_135104236.jpg IMG_20150409_181903517 - Copy.jpg

kidcampbell71 and volvobrynk like this.
  23. chessterd5

chessterd5
    from u.s.a.

Looks good. I wish you success.

24. brokenspoke

brokenspoke

25. 55willys

55willys

It has been shelved for a while. Fastrnu rebuild his 25 TT and a 23 T-bucket. We are also preparing for for a road trip in August and I have to finish my International by then.

26. brokenspoke

brokenspoke

I sure would like to see this build finished

27. Just stumbled across this thread. You guys shared some great tech & ingenuity in this build. Hope to see it continued eventually.

28. A Boner

A Boner

T Modifieds take more time than money to build!
    Money for parts, that is......NOT labor!

Last edited: Jul 6, 2017
    patmanta and brEad like this.
  29. 58custom223

58custom223

I'm keeping an eye on this thread as well. GREAT INFORMATION!!

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

30. 55willys

55willys

Update: fastrnu is going a totally different direction in life. I traded him for the modified and am going to finish it. I will start a new thread of my own with a link to this one. 55willys

patmanta likes this.