Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical '56 Pontiac 316 - Clattering Noise when Revved Up (Video)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DaxxRuckus, Oct 11, 2014.

1. DaxxRuckus

DaxxRuckus

Hi guys,

I just noticed a new and interesting sound from the 316 today. I had just finished a carb rebuild and reinstalling the carb, and when I fired it up I noticed an new engine noise. The car idles and runs great, but I have a new clattering noise when revved up. I only hear the noise when the engine is revved (while driving).

I took a quick video of it, you can hear it the best around 18-20 seconds in.

Can anyone point me in the right direction on this? Any ideas on diagnosing this noise?

Thanks in advance!

2. Cannot help. Video is unavailable, so it says.

3. flypa38

flypa38

Same message here on the video. What is your oil pressure showing? Oil level, clogged filter, anything like that not good? Stock valve covers on it? My 316 makes a weird humming sound after start like the starter is slow to wind down, but that's the only noise it makes right now!

4. DaxxRuckus

DaxxRuckus

I have no idea why Youtube is saying "video unavailable". I also made it public on Google+, I checked and anyone should be able to view it here:

https://plus.google.com/+IanGrist/p...6069132527569425442&oid=102060146382025274240

Please let me know if that works for you.

Oil pressure shows normal, recent oil change with a new oil filter (maybe 100 miles since the change). Yes has the stock valve covers on it. It's not the starter or anything electrical, sounds like valves maybe? I thought it was bearings, but I put a screwdriver to the alternator, PS pump..I don't notice the sound coming from anywhere obvious.

5. THIS WORKED. I hear a lot of noise, but too difficult to determine which noise(s) you are concerned with. Maybe it's the quality of you tube, but just a very rash sounding bunch of noises. Sorry.

6. DaxxRuckus

DaxxRuckus

Yeah I know it's hard to isolate the noise I'm talking about with the electric fan going, loud exhaust, etc. It's a clattering noise, very very similar to this other video I found where you can hear the noise clearly upon revving the engine

(start playing the video at 36 seconds)

7. loudbang

loudbang

Could something have fallen into the engine while you were removing and replacing the carb? Had the same thing when working on a 1959 Chevy 283 a long time ago. Finally took it apart and a washer had fallen into the engine and was bouncing around on top of the piston.

8. DaxxRuckus

DaxxRuckus

No I doubt it...I think the sound started before my carb issues actually. Now that I think about it, I remember noticing it before I even took the carb off.