Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs strange tail gate query

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sigfurniture, Oct 10, 2014.

1. sigfurniture

sigfurniture

hi. I might be wrong, but I can´t find any more images of tailgates like this..its theroretically a 57 fairlane 500...but all the other rears I see are in 2 sections..can any one fill me in please
    cheers sig
    ps its for sale and I want to get my facts straight before buying... Ford-Fairlane-500-140098809_1.jpg Ford-Fairlane-500-140098809_2.jpg

2. squirrel

squirrel

very strange. Maybe it's an Export model? Or a conversion done in Spain?

sigfurniture likes this.
  3. alchemy

alchemy

My Dad used to own a '57 Ford wagon that had an Amblewagon conversion gate on the back. It was a one-piece gate but the hinges were moved to the side. It was originally used as a medical rescue vehicle in New Mexico, but the tailgate was the only real modification from a regular station wagon.

The Amblewagon gate was made of fiberglass. Funny thing though, it had a Chevy V emblem in the middle of it.

The wagon pictured above looks to have had the lower jamb area modified. Looks like they made the sides narrower.

sigfurniture likes this.
  4. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

most likely custom or "coach built" for some purpose like hauling dead people around. the glass looks like it came from an early 60's wagon.

sigfurniture likes this.

5. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Would like to see a side view of this car. From what I think I can see, it looks more like a sedan that has been converted to a wagon. '57/'58 Ford wagons did NOT have the curved forward end on the fin. That was only used on Fairlane 500 sedans, Hardtops, Skyliner and Sunliner models. All Custom 300/Custom and All wagons, had a fin that tapered in a straight line. Also, the rear bumper is a sedan/hardtop model, not a wagon version.

The rear glass does look a lot like the '60 wagon upper gate but also could be from something else entirely.

Strange beast..........hope someone can definitively identify it.

Ray

Last edited: Oct 12, 2014
    sigfurniture likes this.
  6. sigfurniture

sigfurniture

heres the other pix, its a straight 6 the front look correct I think??
    Ford-Fairlane-500-140098809_3.jpg Ford-Fairlane-500-140098809_5.jpg

7. sigfurniture

sigfurniture

are the b and c pillars correct for a 4 door ??

8. squirrel

squirrel

take a picture from the side. Looks like the rear door is modified too.

[​IMG]

9. sigfurniture

sigfurniture

I can´t its the other side of spain. and still waiting on the seller ...a view of the roof line would give a clue as if its a cut and paste job I think??

10. Looks different from it's American cousins. HRP

[​IMG]

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  11. Odd looking trim on lower rear quarter panels also.....

12. It's certainly a strange mix. Hard to say, but I don't think it came from Ford in that configuration, even if it were assembled overseas or built in the US for export. Like others have said, I think some coach work was done to the car by someone so it could be used for a specific function. Interesting to say the least. Hope some of our European friends can shed some light on it.

13. I take back my comment regarding foreign assembly. When you consider how different, at least trim wise the Canadian Fords were at that time, it's possible that it was a Euro version of the '57 Wagon. Seems kinda counter productive though to engineer such a dramatically different rear hatch area unless it was for a specific job.

14. sigfurniture

sigfurniture

just read a spanish blog mentioning that they were also assembled in argentina ???..but didnt mention much more ??? the plot thickens

edit wikipedia says that was from 1969 onwards

Last edited: Oct 10, 2014
  15. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

well...looking at Fairlane wagons and Fairlane sedans on google images it is either built from a sedan or they build them very different in Spain. no wagons I saw had the trim on top of the quarter panels, the rear doors are different as well.

16. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

The more I look at it the more I am convinced it is either a custom coach built, or possibly a talented amateur built, wagon conversion. The rear wheel opening/aft quarter panel trim looks like a combination of well done die formed and poor quality moldings/cladding attached with screws. The gas filler, while similar to factory wagon, looks as though it is not quite in the same place. However, that could be due to the angle of the photo. 500 Sedan & Hardtops had rear fuel filler behind the license plate. In any case it has strap hinges that could be a much later 'fix', if it had an internal hinge that subsequently broke along the way.

Given the age of the car, it may have been through several hands by now and some of the details may have been altered from the original conversion.

The front of the car does look unaltered other than the removal of trim and it appears the bumper guards are in the back of the car.

Ray

Last edited: Oct 10, 2014
  17. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

I'm not a Ford expert by any stretch, but the tailgate window looks like it came off a '60 Ford wagon...and the lower area has had some kustom work done to it...and the "chrome trim" is strange...the rear door (above the fin in the side shot) looks like a 'double"post to me...and I love how the filler tube door is held on...THAT is definitely "K-U-S-T-O-M"...!!! I think someone built a wagon out of a four-door...!!!

R-

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  18. 56premiere

56premiere
    from oregon

I like it ,because its different . The barn hinges on the gas door might be {custom} though.

19. if it's built outside the US it will look like a 3rd cousin to a domestic version, actually cool looking!

20. Squablow

Squablow

Back bumper is not a regular '57 wagon piece either. Looks exceptionally well done to be a home built wagon, but what a lot of effort to convert a regular sedan when wagons were available! This thing is amazing, could be the only one in existance. Would definitely be worthy of a restoration back to "stock".

21. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Tail light surrounds are not supposed to be chrome either. Looks like a custom job, made out of a 57 Ford Fairlane sedan. Maybe originally for a hearse or ambulance, or maybe a custom built station wagon run up by a coach builder or local body shop, in some country where American station wagons were not available.
    Notice also the big back bumper. That is a Fairlane bumper, regular wagons used the smaller 300 bumper for clearance.

22. sigfurniture

sigfurniture

all great information chaps , thanks a lot, I also like it a lot and I agree that it was probably a sedan turned into a hearse (the chrome panel on the back with the 2 handles reminds me of coffins somehow!!).it was the rear end that drew me in as it has that early 60´s lower vibe going on...I´ll get back to the guy and see if he know what hes got :)

23. loudbang

loudbang

Capture.JPG caputre 1.JPG

Just from the photos it looks like the headlight eyebrows are a little longer than normal also.

sigfurniture likes this.
  24. sigfurniture

sigfurniture

just spoke to the seller..it used to be a portuguese hearse...thus explains the apparently good coachbuilding...I hope he´ll send more photos, he says its solid underneath, hardly any perforations.I´ll post any more info as I get it if you want

cheers sig

25. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I don't think the headlight eyebrows are 'extended'....merely missing the bezels which are quite deep on the '57 Fords.

Ray

sigfurniture likes this.