Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods The Race of Gentlemen, 3rd Annual.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dirtyest Devil, Apr 15, 2014.

1. Elrod

Elrod

Hey Clayton.... I have to smile because I seem to remember reading somewhere you posting that you were going to take a chance, load up the T and head east and that you hoped it would be worth it!

Sounds like now you are planning for future racing! Glad to hear it!

MrModelT and CrazyUncleHarry like this.
  2. Oh He's Hooked! Beach Racing is Hot Rod Crack!

I just can't believe I have to wait almost a year for my next hit.....sigh...

3. CTAV8

CTAV8

Really like this black AV8....where you from, man?

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1412470537.320933.jpg

AHotRod likes this.
  4. gump

gump

5. Contact Jerry, Hamb name homemadehardtop57. I'm pretty sure he was with the guy in that AV8 coupe. Jerry is from PA.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

HomemadeHardtop57 likes this.
  6. CTAV8

CTAV8

Thanks, I know the beautiful 3 window deuce in that pic is his. Is that AV8 yours too, Jerrry? I like the all black treatment on the motor.

7. Driveway builder

Driveway builder

The car belongs to an Aces&Eights member named Dan... he just built it this winter, and it is an Awesome car up close also. Jerry has the 32 next to it.

CrazyUncleHarry likes this.
  8. sagra

sagra

VIDEO - The Race Of Gentlemen - short spin around the race hot rod lot Friday afternoon 10-3-14

AHotRod, koolcat and general gow like this.
  9. flatheadtommy

flatheadtommy

I know i missed the finest event held this year and i hope to never again, but i found solice in the news that my main man, "hollywood" pete flavin scorched the sands with his nasty flathead "T" , way to go pete !!!! and also i heard from a friend of mine thats a conn. state trooper that they are looking for a quick little 37 ford pickup that was racing a nasty 37 coupe down the merritt parkway. i think it would be a good idea for C-ball and ritchie B to by-pass the merritt for awhile! and all the best to mel

cball, general gow and gonzo like this.
  10. onekoolkat1950

onekoolkat1950

Wish you were there Tommy. You were missed.

cball likes this.
  11. onekoolkat1950

onekoolkat1950

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1412987123.080577.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1412987143.851684.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1412987167.171813.jpg

AHotRod, blindowl, cball and 3 others like this.
  12. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

That black coupe belongs to nosdan on here... Dan Youngs. He and I did the frame and suspension and he built and finished the car. It's a great little coupe. He's in the process of gathering parts to get a car together to run on the beach next year. I'm also doing a roadster over the winter. We are from eastern Pa near Reading

Thanks for the nice comments

13. Pete

Pete

Tommy,

I wouldn't really say scorched.. But More like walked, either way it was a blast! 45 mph in an old hot rod on the sand feels like 100-
    Hard to explain really......

Pete-

general gow likes this.
  14. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

You ain't shitting! My 222 coupe was squirrely as hell.. what a blast!

15. Elrod

Elrod

A little video brought to you by Mark Foster and the Oilers Clothing Company

16. 41fastback

41fastback

What rules do the vehicles have to meet?

17. Cars, I believe need to be mid-30's or older in terms of model and or bodywork. No parts newer than 1953. They need to look early and traditional. No disk brakes and 4 bar linkages etc. (Note I am just re-quoting Mel, don't take my word for it...)

18. dieselbronco

dieselbronco
    from jamesburg

I didn't get many pics but finally unloaded the cars awesome time can't wait till the next one

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using H.A.M.B. mobile app

Attached Files:

evojoe67 likes this.
  19. ELD

ELD

The race is invitational and all potential racers need to email photos and specications to be considered for an invite.
    Vintage Race Entries Submit To: [email protected]

"Period Correct" is what Mel is after with the cars, bikes and the entire look and feel of the event. As you know or have seen in photos, Mel goes through a lot of work, trouble and strife to get all the "props", structures, banners, signage, etc. just right to emulate beach racing from the late 1940's / early 50's.

Automobile specs are PRE-1935 Bodies; PRE-1953 Parts ONLY

Below are the "Period Correct" Motorcycle requirements:

The Race of Gentlemen "Competition" Motorcycle Specs
    Year:
    1947 or older. American made Motorcycles.
    General - Modify your bike for racing. No full fender, "straight off the street", bikes. No headlights, No full fenders, etc. Put a wrench to your bike and strip it down. The idea is to recreate beach racing from the '40's and early 50's. All entrees must be pre-approved and must comply with the spirit of the event.

*No Non-Competition bikes allowed in the staging area on the beach unless they are pre-approved Exhibition Motorcycles.

* The below specs are for motorcycles from 1930 - 1947. For motorcycles that are pre 1930... send in your photos and descriptions.
    Engine:
    1947 or Older: Knucklehead, Flathead, or other American Overheads - No after market S&S motors, etc.
    Shifting: Period Hand Shift, Foot Clutch - No "Jockey" style ratchet lids, No "Cheater" hand clutches...
    Harley - Tank shift. Indian or other American Motorcycle - Tank shift or off the transmission (i.e. Indian Scouts)
    Frame: Harley - Rigid, Indian - Rigid or stock sprung rear (40-47), Other American brands - factory frames
    Forks: Period Forks, Springer, Girder, Leaf Spring... Hydraulics i.e. Vard, must be pre-approved
    Brakes: Period Mechanical Drum - No disk brakes, or modern drum
    Tires: Period Tread - Aggressive OK (i.e. Grasshopper, Firestone ANS) but No Motocross Knobby or Paddle style tires permitted
    Number Plates or Painted Numbers - Period Number Plates with racing number clearly visible on both sides of the bike and front fork (if possible). Period style number plates, No yellow plastic Motocross plates with zip ties. Paint or shoe polish on both sides of the gas tank is OK if you can't do plates.

20. 40 Olds

40 Olds

wingnutz and CrazyUncleHarry like this.
  21. nosdan

nosdan

Thanks CTAV8 for the kind words on my black 30 coupe. Already working on the 2015 entry for TROG. Be sure to keep your eyes peeled for the Dirty Dutchmen. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1413151507.353549.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1413151551.173533.jpg

Last edited: Oct 13, 2014
    AHotRod likes this.
  22. CTAV8

CTAV8

Looking good, Dan. You're getting a good head start. Tried sending you a pm earlier....oh, sorry, i mean "conversation", but couldn't figure out how to pull the trigger...ha, ha. I'll try again tomorrow. Really like that vid clip on your club's blog of you bombing down the hill in the av8.

nosdan likes this.
  23. flyin-t

flyin-t

24. mike bowling

mike bowling

Hey "koolkat" Ray, you crazy SOB, thanks for all the great photos! And I know you had a hand in helping a lot of other people that were there; you're a good man, my lad. Hairy Mike ( forget the West, EAST is BEST)

25. onekoolkat1950

onekoolkat1950

Thanks mike I appreciate that. Hope your car is rippin up the tar !

26. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

A shot of the pits from that Autoweek article.

pit-lineup.jpg

27. Pete

Pete

Only a handful of these left! these will be collectors items just like the TROG shirts.
    Roy is going to make round FOBS next year.

Pete-

MrModelT likes this.
  28. MrModelT

MrModelT

I wasn't sure exactly what to expect.... But now I do and I am hooked!

I certainly have some improvements to make before the T makes its next appearance...like the Ruckstell for sure. I may also bring it fully loaded (top, windshield, lamps, etc) and clear it for racing in the pits....like the old days at Muroc or El Mirage, then re-install it all for the drive home.

Next time that T hits the sand...its winning races...that is for sure. :)

29. MrModelT

MrModelT

Might have to take you up on one of these Pete...

30. ELD

ELD

Press Roundup
    via Hemmings Motor News
    The Morris Brothers SoCal Speed Shop roadster returns to competition
    [​IMG]
    From 1949 into the 1980s, a 1931 Ford Model A roadster (actually a 1931 body on a lightened 1932 frame) set records up and down the California coast, running on street, strip and dry lake beds. Built and campaigned by the Morris brothers, Dick and George, the car once wore the colors of Alex Xydias’ SoCal Speed Shop, though it was not an “official” shop car. Restored by former owner Dave Tanimura in 2010, the Morris Brothers SoCal Speed Shop roadster made its return to competition with new owner Lars Mapstead at this year’s Race of Gentlemen. - See more at: http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/...-returns-to-competition/#sthash.RoswD9vm.dpuf

via Hemmings Motor News
    Speed is life: Ride-along at The Race of Gentlemen
    [​IMG]
    Have you gone down the beach yet?” Dave Singleton asks enthusiastically.

It’s Sunday at The Race of Gentlemen in Wildwood, New Jersey, and by this time the Hemmings tow truck, a 1934 one-ton Ford, has already made six or seven saves along the beach track with me along for the ride. “Yeah,” I reply, “on the wrecker.”

“That’s fun, but it’s not the same. You have to race.”

“Nah, that’s okay. I don’t want to bother anybody.” I’ve always been shy about special treatment, but the 24-year-old from Latham, New York, isn’t having any of it. He bounds off across the soft sand of the inner beach, and I scuffle along behind him somewhat hesitantly, reminding myself that, if I go, I can take you, dear reader, along with me!
    - See more at: http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/...t-the-race-of-gentlemen/#sthash.6tbBaR7d.dpuf

via Rod Authority
    Clayton Slaughter’s 1929 Roadster Built For The Race of Gentlemen
    [​IMG]

While I enjoy a good car show, a sitting car just never gives the car the justice it deserves,” stated Clayton Slaughter of Clayton’s Hot Rods.

Slaughter knew that The Race of Gentlemen was something he wanted to participate in after the first time he saw photos and videos from the event. For those of you that don’t know about the event, it is an annual beach race held on New Jersey shore beaches and was founded by Oilers Car Club, established in 1947.
    See more... http://www.rodauthority.com/news/clayton-slaughters-1929-roadster-built-for-the-race-of-gentlemen/

via Bang Shift *Note they have no idea it's the Morris Brothers SoCal Speed Shop roadster
    Ride In A Cool Hot Rod For A Few Laps Down The Beach During the 2014 Oilers Car Club Race Of Gentlemen
    [​IMG]
    The Oilers Car Club Race Of Gentleman is officially a automotive cultural phenomenon. Three years after the initial running of the event, it is drawing cars and people from across the country to attend, there is media coverage from all corners including the NY Times, and companies like Sailor Jerry are stepping up to sponsor the event which is a neat affair that takes places on the beach in New Jersey. Using period hot rods and motorcycles, competitors sprint down an eighth mile “strip” on the sand and as you will see, they do it to the delight of A LOT of fans who line the course (at a safe distance) to take the whole thing in. As far as we know there’s not “winning” the race of gentleman. Cars run for fun, there is no timing system, and the point of the exercise is to relive the history of how things looked, felt, smelled, and sounded during the early evolution of hot rodding.
    See more..... http://bangshift.com/bangshift1320/ride-cool-hot-rod-laps-beach-2014-oilers-car-club-race-gentlemen/

via Ford Racing
    QUICK LOOK - THE RACE OF GENTLEMEN
    [​IMG]

Wildwood, NJ – The Third Annual Race Of Gentlemen beach race took place over the weekend on the shores of New Jersey. Ford Racing was invited to attend a weekend of vintage racing. What we found was an iconic pre-war car and motorcycle race, that stuff in which Ford enthusiasts dreams are made of. Check back soon for a full story and even more photos covering The Race Of Gentlemen. See more... http://racing.ford.com/enthusiasts/newsroom/2014/The-Race-Of-Gentlemen-Gallery.html

via New York Times
    The Race of Gentlemen Looks Back to a Simpler Time
    [​IMG]
    WILDWOOD, N.J. — If you’ve ever been to an organized motor sports event, you’re probably aware that there are usually a number of rules associated with them. Among other requirements, the cars have to be a certain weight, there are horsepower limitations and the drivers are expected to don a small mountain of safety equipment. Nascar, Formula One, IndyCar — they all have their dictionary-length list of regulations.

Then there’s the Race of Gentlemen, now in its third year, which was held here over the weekend. It consists of a series of drag races on the beach, and the only significant rule is that the vehicle has to date from the 1930s or earlier. That and drivers are supposed to try to avoid running over course officials and errant pedestrians who have wandered onto the wrong patch of sand.
    - See more..... http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/09/a...tlemen-looks-back-to-a-simpler-time.html?_r=0

via Auto Week
    Sand, salt and cars: The 2014 Oilers Car Club Race of Gentlemen -
    [​IMG]
    Every October for the last three years, the Oilers Car Club has put on a little weekend-long hot rod race on the Jersey Shore.

There’s surf rock and drinking on Friday night. You wake up Saturday morning to the thacka-thacka-thacka-braaaap of flathead V8s, four-bangers and old V-twins echoing down deserted roads on their way to the beach. This starts at around 6:45 a.m., just as the sun’s starting to come up, but no one minds --practically the only people in the ghost town that is post-season Wildwood, N.J. are the racers and spectators. At approximately 9 a.m. somebody butchers the national anthem and then the races start, rain or shine, tide permitting.
    - See more at: http://autoweek.com/article/car-life/2014-race-gentlemen#sthash.0DNfQ0Pe.dpuf

AHotRod and gonzo like this.