Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Winters quick change helical gear install

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Badrodder, Jun 23, 2014.

1. Badrodder

Badrodder

Winters QC Gears 007.JPG This is how to install the helical cut quiet gears in a V8 QC . You must check the end play from the shoulder of the gears with a straight edge across the housing with the gasket in place . It will be from 0.020 to 0.080 , order the correct shims from your supplier with the gears . You must not have too much gap as the gear will hit the bearings each time you accelerate otherwise . If you don't want the noise this is the way to go .. Ford11 002.JPG

loudbang likes this.
  2. Ulu

Ulu
    from CenCal

Those are beautiful man.

Anytime you set up a gear box that produces thrust (anything except straight cut spur gears) you need to keep the thrust washer clearances to the absolute minimum. If you don't it causes eccentric prying forces in the shafts and gear case.

I once worked for a company that made small gearcases (not for cars) that had worm gears. If those things weren't set up nice and tight, they would literally wedge the gear case apart, just a bit, but causing misalignment and tons of friction. The boxes literally bound up and nearly quit working completely.

3. thanks for posting guys.....

4. And check the rear cover bearings every 15,000 miles, they have a life also.

5. Badrodder

Badrodder

According to the experts at Winters , quote " should last as long as your not drag racing with slicks " .

Desoto291Hemi likes this.
  6. They shouldn't claim anything that construes a warranty since street tires have incorporated traction technology!

Twisted and snapped axles are the next concern with these technologies.

I have concerns about the rear cover and bearings extra load and wondering if that should be redesigned.

Posted using Full box of Crayons on the Kitchen Walls App!

7. Badrodder

Badrodder

Someone with bearing knowledge might be able to come up with a part number for a thrust roller bearing that would fit the rear housing . I did a little research and ball bearings in place now can take some thrust as long as its not excessive , I think it was 15 % of the axial load . Only one thrust bearing would be required as one gear thrust aft and the other forward .

8. What should the end play be after the shims are installed?

9. Badrodder

Badrodder

I was told 0.015 in. Max ,but you are limited by the thickness of the spacers Winters sells . They are on the winters site on the page with the helical gears . I think they come in 15,30 and 60 thou, you would have to double check though .

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

10. Badrodder

Badrodder

What boxes ? Quick changes ?

11. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

I seem to recall coming across some nice thrust needle bearings in the course of looking for something else. They'd be barely thicker than the thrust washer shown above. I can't remember where it was, though, but I'm fairly sure it was one of the major bearing manufacturers' website.

12. pitman

pitman

Agreed. 'Helicals' displace a portion of radial loads, into axial loads. You'll be quieter, but with new forces acting along-the-shaft. Speaking in general terms, (not QC's) there were some shouldered ball-bearing designs that could handle greater non-radial loads. Peak load, and consistant load, challenges to solve when space is limited.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2014
    saltracer219 likes this.
  13. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

While this isn't bad advice...NOT ALL Quick Change axles...can be checked this way.
    The cover on my housing is flat across the back with the gear cavity in the cover...NOT the axle housing...

The Heavy Duty Champianship (the one I have) or the newer Extremeliner housing need a bit more care in checking. Though mine still has it's straight cut gears.

Mike

lumpy 63 and sdluck like this.
  14. The shouldered ball bearings are FAG Part Number 6304 Y . HB, also sold by Winters under part number 7532 - 01.

15. Great info...!

But I guess I'll stick to the noise and being a general nuisance to the neighborhood!

16. Badrodder

Badrodder

Will check them out..I really don't think helicals are too big a problem loading the cover bearings as the thrust loads aren't that great except as said before hard launches with big rubber , but I wouldn't mind having a set of thrust bearings on hand just in case they were ever needed on a longer trip . That said there is still a whine but you can actually have a conversation without raising your voice , when I take to the drags next well just stick the straight cuts in it for the runs .

17. Badrodder

Badrodder

Just a quick update with my Helical Gears now with some mileage and lots of bursts of energy they are holding up fine with the stock bearings , no weird noises at all just a little whine as since installed ..

18. racemad55

racemad55

Same here with about 3000 mi. on my set.(frankland rear)

19. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

Same here with 14,000 miles

20. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Do you install the shims on the non-thrust side of each gear (the side of the gear that bears the thrust in the forward transmission gears, as it would change in reverse)?

21. Badrodder

Badrodder

I installed shims on both shafts fwd of both gears to keep 0.010 gap .

HemiDeuce likes this.
  22. sdluck

sdluck

My frankland is the same,I shimmed the top gear gear to be about .015 to the lower gear.

23. Blake 27

Blake 27

This from Winters Winters=spacer002 (2).jpg

Desoto291Hemi likes this.
  24. sdluck

sdluck

Thanks I have all that info,but a my frankland is different,it is like the picture on the right.[​IMG]

25. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

I have repeatedly asked Winters to shim and install the gears when I purchase a rear end. Out of the probably a dozen or more rears I have purchased for myself I have succeeded only twice. I have wondered about their reluctance to offer this service. I would be glad to pay the extra cost.

seb fontana and sdluck like this.
  26. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The major difference in that design is in the spur gear housing.

On the center sections that have the spur gear section built into the main case, it is capped with a flat-plate (with fins), and you have one gear oil capacity.

On your center section, your spur gear housing is a seperate piece from the main housing, and is housing and cover, all in one. This allows it to have those "wings" at the bottom, which allow for even more gear oil.

There is no function difference, just better potential cooling and lubrication with yours.

Winters has made them both ways, as shown here, but with no "extra capacity" spur gear housing:
    upload_2023-4-23_13-11-21.png

You will need the correct gasket, but it should otherwise work the same way.

27. saltracer219

saltracer219

Why would anyone install a quick change rear axle in their Hot Rod and then want to put "quiet" change gears in it?:rolleyes:

28. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

I'm thrifty. Helical gears cost more. Hence, I'll put up with the noise... Besides I need something to listen to.

jebbesen and lumpy 63 like this.
  29. The reason we don't typically install the gears just comes down to time. Sometimes customers don't know what gear set they want until the rear is ready to ship, and they don't always know which way they want their gears oriented (tall on top or bottom). Installing either type of gears adds extra time—particularly when you're shimming helical gears. We could charge for that service, but we kind of feel like it's good for the customer to know how to install their change gears if they own a quick change. That said, if there was enough demand for it, we could consider adding gear installation as a service.

We do have this short video explaining how to shim helical gears. It's fairly simple and can be done in about 10-15 minutes. If you have any specific questions we'd be glad to answer them here.