Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage The Race Of Gentlemen

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Oct 8, 2014.

1. Daddy-O

Daddy-O

Great enjoyable write-up and great photos. Next year I'll be there.

2. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

Ryan, as it has been said, one of your best pieces..
    Tim, great shots, the muted tones of the shots remind me of faded vintage photos that just fell out of a box,,
    But could you just do a few in black and white,,I was temped to grab and convert, but that would be not kosher. So give us a view of ROG shot in tri-x because the light was grey and you needed the ASA push.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  3. HelmuthBrothers

HelmuthBrothers
    from New Jersey

Beautiful photography! So inspiring! It was great time for sure.

4. The Race of Gentlemen is nothing if not detail oriented. The race grounds themselves were quartered off by beach fencing. Each major sponsor was protected from the elements by what looked to be vintage circus tents complete with original tie-downs, hardware, and roof mounted wind socks. The food vendors were housed in reclaimed wood sheds that were assembled on-site much like the vintage-style timing and photography towers that lined the track. And then, of course, there was the glorious event headquarters – a WWII era General’s tent capped by a vintage Craftsman sign (a show sponsor).
    To put it bluntly, the scene was breath taking. To see such effort and passion put towards what most take for granted… and then to see it flanked by the glorious Atlantic ocean as she beat the beach with all of her might. Even Miller wasn’t sure of what he was seeing. It was so striking......

Perfect description Ryan. I was there last year and could not believe how much trouble these guys went to to recreate their vision, and it was even better this year! I went back home last year and tried to describe what I had seen, but it was hard to put into words. It is one of those events that you truly "have to be there". Glad you and Miller had a good time.

5. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

Fine. Good. Dunzo. Alright. Okay. Done. You've convinced me.

I don't know how I'll get myself, or my car there. But I will be there next year. I don't care if I have to re-mortgage the house, go AWOL, or otherwise sell my soul, hell or high-water, I WILL BE THERE NEXT YEAR.

@Hitchhiker you in?

6. @Ryan -

One of your best Blogs ... Very well written!

Curious if Miller enjoyed the entire '14 TROG event? ... or (like many of today's 6-year-old boys) was he bored after the first 3-4 hours ... and just wanted to go back to the motel room and play video games? :rolleyes: ... Either way, good on you for making some father/son memories! :)

@notrod13 -

Fantastic images! :cool:

Last edited: Oct 8, 2014
  7. NealinCA

NealinCA

I have been seeing photos for the past 5 or 6 days...and I am in awe. Great job by all! I hope to attend in the near future.

Neal

8. Ryan, I must apologize, General Gow told me that you and Miller were there, but I was too busy playing in the sand to find you and say "Hi"! I loved reading this. It's always interesting to see others try to articulate the magic of The Race of Gentlemen. I'm usually at a loss myself, and just wander around with a perma-grin for weeks afterwards. If you make the journey again, let's get you in a car for the full effect. You're welcome to a ride or a pass in the driver's seat of my racer if the Oilers accept next year's entry. Cheers, CrazyUncleHarry.

9. I'd like to take Bruce Lancaster up on his Condo offer! :) But seriously though, the pics are great. It looks like someone took B&W photos and colorized them, which adds to the feel.

10. T&A Flathead

T&A Flathead

I was truly honored to be able to participate this year with my #23c '27 T roadster. This event and the Hotrod Hill Climb have changed my flavor for all future car events.
    To see all ages tearing up the beach as if it were 1948 and we were all 16 is a memory I will hold on to forever.
    My biggest struggle right now is, how can I possibly finish my 32 5w project when all I want to do is build something different to race next year.
    Hats off to the crew that pulled his together.

11. flash

flash

Damn! Ryan and Bruce were there and I didn't get to meet either of you...double damn! I had a hard time peeling myself away from the starting line.

12. Maybe we could fly our cars over there in your work ride?

13. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

Hmmm. You could be onto something. We are going to be taking a couple aircraft to the boneyard in Delaware newxt year... if only we could convince Uncle Sam that a pair of Model A's would be essential cargo.

Hitchhiker likes this.
  14. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Last edited: Oct 8, 2014
    sixinarow and Jungle Jalopy like this.
  15. Carter

Carter

Bruce, I've already forgotten the name of the book you mentioned about that adventure. What was it again?
    It was great finally meeting you!

16. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Funny you should ask. Miller left Texas with a cold and my wife gave me the cold medicine with a little cup that comes with it. The cup had a line on it, so I figured that was the dosage. The first two days on the road, I was inadvertently over dosing my kid on cold medicine. Parent of the year.

Anyway, we had that figured by Saturday and he was pretty much the kid of the year afterwards. In fact, he outlasted all of us on the beach and I was begging him for reprieve long after the cars were done running. Of course, we went back for the bonfire.

Miller has always been more of a Porsche guy... 911's to be specific... But, I think I have him loving roadsters now as well. A rather astute comment from him - "Dad, I think the roadsters look better on the beach than the coupes."

He's a sharp kid... No idea if he will be car guy or not and couldn't care less if he is. I love that little shit more than just about anything in the world.

We spoke in spirit man. I was trying my hardest to stay out of everyone's way on race day.

HEMI32 likes this.
  17. catdad49

catdad49

Great write up and great pics. Thanks to both Ryan and Tim for sharing their time and passion. Two things come to mind. What did Miller think about the experience and how did the flagger make it thru the day??

18. There not? Maybe a well written letter about historical significance and preservation of Americana could convince congress? It works with DMV

19. JohnJoyo

JohnJoyo
    Alliance Vendor
    from Austin, TX

Best car event I've ever been too. Such nice folks everywhere you turned... really unusual these days! Wish I could have spent more time with everyone, but glad for the time I got. No way I'll miss this event next year.

Yeah, Miller's a great kid, especially when he's sober... even the Romanian waitress thinks so.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  20. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd agree, Ryan that is possibly the best blog you have written yet. Great story accompanied by those great photos you can't ask much more than that except to be there yourself.

That one is on my bucket list for sure.

21. hasty

hasty

Of the many pleasures on the HAMB, this post is a highlight - thanks for the great story and pictures

22. triangle

triangle
    from PA

Long time reader, first time poster.

Ryan, how does it feel to be the best writer this genre has ever known?

And Tim, awesome photos!

23. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Best event, best blog, best blogger. Not bad!
    And--I have to say this is about the top of a very short list of car events I would attend if I had to crawl there over broken glass during a blizzard.

24. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Welcome... Contribute every now and then my man! One post since 2012? Really?

Now, about my writing... That's really nice of you to say and I certainly appreciate the sentiment, but know that I'm probably one of the most well read hot rodders on the planet. By that, I mean I'd guess I've read as many hot rod books and magazines as anyone ever has... So, I'm pretty educated on the subject of hot rod writers... and I can tell you, without a shadow of doubt, that I am not the best to ever write about hot rods. In fact, I'm far, far from it... Don't get me started.

In this case, my story was just accompanied by some really remarkable photos. I could have written a dick and jane story and came out golden today...

I still can't believe I missed meeting you.

25. Wow. I am set with desktop images for the year now. That sounded as well as looked like a great event. Definitely something to aspire to. Thanks for the great reporting!

26. I'll be waitin' for that Dick in Jane story, but can you even begin to imagine how much Flathead knowledge you could absorb just by being in the same room with Bruce Lancaster for a week-end?....:D:eek:

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  27. As for painting a picture with words this very well my be your finest hour..you have convinced me I need to attend The Race Of Gentleman if for no other reason to smell what cannot be reproduced here.

As for Parent of the year..you got my vote,kids are resilient! HRP

28. Very well put HRP. Hope to be there next year myself. Great stuff....

29. tikiwagon13

tikiwagon13

A friend of mine (who I met through the HAMB) ran last year, he told me about it and said it was the best event he has been to. My wife and I decided to go, we were excited but wondering if it would really stack up. We arrived late Thursday and the whole weekend exceeded our expectations, no BS, no trophy hunters, a good party and a fun weekend! Can't wait for next year!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

30. Church

Church
    from South Bay

What an amazing event. Well worth the trip from California. The town was/is credible. The venue was perfection. The host were gracious. Couldn't have had a better time. OK .... a little sleep might might have been nice.

CrazyUncleHarry and Ryan like this.