Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Hydraulic clutch and existing clutch spring question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bobss396, Oct 8, 2014.

1. clutch spring2.jpg
    I'm doing a hydraulic clutch in my '59 Ford and the existing clutch set up includes a big spring which assists pedal-effort when the clutch pedal is depressed. Can I just take this spring out, do I need another one putting tension upward on the pedal?
    Thanks, Bob

2. squirrel

squirrel

That's the over center spring, which helps you push the clutch pedal. You could leave it, or you could remove it...but you probably ought to understand what it does, before you remove it?

3. I am all ears... my concern was that it helps the pedal effort and can I live with that hard assist at the bottom of the pedal stroke?

4. pitman

pitman

I did run an Ansen juice clutch many years ago. Direct and simple in linkage.
    It seemed that the leverage in that application was not too severe, without
    an over-center assist. (10.5" Chev clutch)

5. This is my thinking as well. I'm running an 11" clutch. I would have concern regarding having the (Wilwood) master subjected to that hard slam that the spring provides.

6. pitman

pitman

Smaht to be cautious...Wilwood brakes are not my fav!
    In this case Hydraulic also meant slower coupling, it had a bit of slip, then connected.

7. craftscustoms

craftscustoms

You don't need the spring, or a return spring for that matter. In the past I have had to change clutch master cylinder sizes and linkage pivot points to get the feel and leverage I want.

8. bracket.jpg
    I agree. I may have to drop the pivot point to get it to exit where I want on the firewall anyway. But not much, I may also offset it more towards the driver's side for the same reason. I'm making up a bracket to hold the master and clutch master.

9. pitman

pitman

Bob,
    Squirrel may have a good number, but I'm recalling about a 6:1 ratio (?) for brake or clutch systems.

10. Yes, 6:1 is a good pedal ratio, although pedal pressure on a hydraulic clutch doesn't have to be as high with a conventional clutch.