Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects A 1933 Ford 5w coupe from a 4 door sedan...

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Fordgasser1, Jun 4, 2011.

1. Fordgasser1

Fordgasser1
    from Jersey

I'm not that fast believe me! Still recovering from TROG!! Ha ha..These pics are work that was done maybe last year. I hadn't been posting because I was busy getting Rich Stucks 57 T-Bird (Battlebird replica that was at TROG) ready...Stay tuned,I'm not working on anymore customer stuff for awhile and will have new progress today.

2. Fordgasser1

Fordgasser1
    from Jersey

trog2014 012 (Small).jpg trog2014 008 (Small).jpg Here's the PS rear 1/4 taking shape..Got to welding in until I ran out of mig gas. Will need some more work..I'm not crazy about the lower patch panels and may cut it back off and make my own. They're kinda cheap and flimsy compared to the wheelwell.

3. Fordgasser1

Fordgasser1
    from Jersey

trog2014 004 (Small).jpg trog2014 006 (Small).jpg Seriously squared up the body and braced it completely before I make the hind end permanent.I even set the forward door gaps and tack welded the doors shut so they'll stay..The 1/4s are temporoarily hung so I can keep checking the fit and makes it easier to metalwork after welding..

4. Fordgasser1

Fordgasser1
    from Jersey

trog2014 011 (Small).jpg trog2014 015 (Small).jpg trog2014 016 (Small).jpg Started to check my trunk opening with the decklid I have..She's a beaut! original paint decklid that I got at Charlotte swap meet a few years ago. I then realized that the DS 1/4 was bowed in at the middle and the cure didn't follow the decklid very well. Pie slicing and some pushing the the port-a-power got her straightened out.I tack welded the new rain gutters I made to hold in place..Checking the decklid for fitment and shes looking OK.More adjustments to be made here..The trunk gussets didn't follow the floor very well so I tack welded them in place and beat on them until they did..The latch supports needed some massaging and none of the holes lined uo so more work is needed when I finish installing the 1/4's..

brEad and Nailhead A-V8 like this.
  5. cmarcus

cmarcus

Awesome work! Love seeing these levels of fab work!

6. Subscribed,I am in awe of the talent that it takes to turn a 4 door into a coupe. HRP

7. I'm enjoying all the "make better out of what you have" type threads on the hamb these days... Looks great!

jakespeed63 likes this.
  8. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Great job so far! I love watching patchwork builds go together. Watching your progress closely as I've been collecting 34 sheet metal for sometime and have plans to do a puzzle coupe.

brEad likes this.
  9. Wow man! Nice work! Where did you get the panel above the decklid with the neck roll in it???

10. bengeltiger

bengeltiger

Great build thread! Don't give up or stop posting. Gives me hope and inspiration for my A build. Subscribed!

11. Currently tossing the drool from my lip corners....sir......that pile of scrap....is coming together nicely. Way to go !

12. Maverick Daddy

Maverick Daddy

coupes are cool, but I love diversity. Buiding it as it is keeps it fresh. Lotsa coupes very few fordoors out there.

13. Fordgasser1

Fordgasser1
    from Jersey

Thanks! Cmarcus

Thanks! X2

Yeah! me too! Thanks!

There's a few of us on the Hamb building these types of cars.I was inspired by Andy Kohlers build a few years back and decided to go for it..GO FOR IT!

14. Fordgasser1

Fordgasser1
    from Jersey

Thanks! love your truck build! The panel is an SAR roadster piece that I shortened for the coupe.

Thanks for the encouragement! Gather up your A bits and start building! The great thing about this place is we all learn from each others builds.

Ha ha! yeah,its a pile of something alright,even the scrap guy didn't want it when I started!..Love your avatar,I have a 71 Cobra Torino myself!

I got nothing against four doors..I have a nice original 34 fordor myself.. currently for sale on Fordbarn if you are interested. I enjoy a challenge with my builds..restoring a this fordor wasn't much of a challenge for me personally.

15. Fordgasser1

Fordgasser1
    from Jersey

33coupepics 015 (Small).jpg I didn't get alot done today because I had to go into work early..WTF?!!don't they know I'm trying to get my TROG entry ready for next October!..Anyhow,I did get a little bit done on the PS side 1/4..Some grinding and dollying the panel straight because I kinda rushed welding it up. It distorted the panel a little,nothing bad but if I had been more patient I could've saved some work..

16. Fordgasser1

Fordgasser1
    from Jersey

33coupepics 001 (Small).jpg 33coupepics 003 (Small).jpg 33coupepics 004 (Small).jpg 33coupepics 006 (Small).jpg 33coupepics 011 (Small).jpg I didn't have time to get more welding gas so I started straightening out the '33 grille I have. When I started on this car '33 grilles were very hard to come by and were made out of unobtainium(for me anyhow!) So I found a wrecked '33 hood and grille that I could afford. The guy selling it had hit a deer and it didn't look real bad so I picked it up. I've seen deer wreck the front end of a 1973 Ford LTD so this must not have been a bad hit..The hood was fixed pretty easily but the grille was tweeked still and hanging on the wall..Decided to get after it..The pic doesn't show how bad it is.A small crack and kinked in the side which bent all the PS bars. I used a little heat and carefully moved it around with a small hammer and wooden blocks. Once I cut the brace loose, the side sprung back a little bit. Some more hammering and pushing while clamped in a vise helped get it back into shape. I'll have to weld up the brace and crack which will wreck the chrome but thats O.K..

Nailhead A-V8 likes this.
  17. cmarcus

cmarcus

Not bad damage at all, given how that grill looks. What did he do, hit only the tail? ;)

Looking good!

18. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

man what a build!! i would love to find a 4 door and attempt this!
    i saw the 36B coupe at TROG.. what a beautiful simple hot rod!
    keep the pictures coming

19. Toms Dogs

Toms Dogs
    from NJ

George ( Fordgasser Numero Uno ) is one busy guy... I'm just one plain-assed lucky dude to be able to see this creation "in person" as my location is Central Jersey-- Occasionally, I get to add my 2 cents for his FLAT MOTOR and drive-train "CONSIDERATIONS";):D:eek:
    regards, Geezer Tom

Outback likes this.
  20. Nice work!
    Seems that you are on a pretty good roll now. Wishing you lots of momentum

21. Wow, it's coming along great.

22. Fordgasser1

Fordgasser1
    from Jersey

Yeah it must've just nipped the deer. The guys insurance co bought him a new grille and hood so I got this stuff very reasonably!

HRHagg,I got another 4 dr. sedan way nicer than this if you got the itch!.Thanks for the kind words on 36B! It is a very basic car and was all I could get done in 1 month before the race! Most people(including the photographers) walked right past it,thanks for taking notice.

Tommy! My Flathead Guru! I don't know anyone else who has flogged more miles with an 8BA flathead than you! Keep that Pickup under 100 MPH!

Thanks so much! I'm trying to get a little bit done every day.

Thanks!

23. brady1929

brady1929

Nice job

afgjr likes this.
  24. Fordgasser1

Fordgasser1
    from Jersey

33coupepics 001 (Small).jpg 33coupepics 002 (Small).jpg 33coupepics 003 (Small).jpg 33coupepics 006 (Small).jpg 33coupepics 008 (Small).jpg 33coupepics 010 (Small).jpg 33coupepics 009 (Small).jpg 33coupepics 005 (Small).jpg All my work lately was focused on the passenger side so I decided to get the drivers side cowl and rocker panel in place before I get too far ahead of myself. If I were to put the PS of the body together first it could lead to a disaster when I get working on the DS.
    The cowl side was rotted out on the bottom and I decided to replace it with a new patch panel. With a car a rusty as this the outside sheetmetal looks solid but in fact it is very thin due to inside rust. I always struggle with trying to keep as much original metal as possible but end up blowing holes through the old metal if its rusty inside. Always better to cut back far enough into clean metal. Here the rust is cut away and patch panel trimmed to fit. The patch panel doesn't extend far enough to meet the cowl support so I had to fabricate a small filler piece. I neglected to do this on the other side so I'll have to go back and take care of that later. Stitched in with the mig and ground smooth. I was on a roll so I kept going and got the rocker panel cut and welded in place too. The front pillar pieces that are gone will be tackled later. I wanted to get started on the DS 1/4 panel next.

Nailhead A-V8 likes this.
  25. Fordgasser1

Fordgasser1
    from Jersey

Thanks!

26. F.G. Holy cow dude! I thought I was in deep. Your really making great progress and the work looks great! Tim

27. pumpman

pumpman

Great progress, keep her goin!

28. dtracy

dtracy

I like what you've done, fantastic metal work. How do you guys solve the problems with the title?

Dave.

29. Great work. You mentioned you got the floor from a supplier, who??