Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration The **OFFICIAL** door lettering thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Big Dad, Oct 3, 2009.

1. All American 6

All American 6
    from Sumter, SC

Two from Bowling Green's Hot Rod Reunion.

IMG_7507.JPG IMG_7129.JPG

Hotrodmyk likes this.
  2. Thanks Phillips- I guess I should've saved it when I saw it the first time. I'll probably never dig that up again seeing as we have half a dozen a day of the "should I buy this" threads.

3. fnjunk

fnjunk
    from Australia

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1404482512.930506.jpg
    Here's mine straight out of
    San Antonio Texas.
    Wish I could fine some history on it.

suede shoe, Hotrodmyk and DBruce like this.
  4. Awesum work basezum! That's a very cool show in Germany too. Googled because I had no idea where it was. Some cool stuff on YouTube from the show. Kinda cool to see Germans taking up the culture.

DBruce likes this.
  5. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

This was done by the late Jere Harley in '87. Willys Bizio Marty a.jpg

55belairx2 and Hotrodmyk like this.
  6. rollie

rollie

one i did last week

Attached Files:

7. 1934coupe

1934coupe

A chronology of a restored and still running race car from build in Willie's garage in 1962 4 days and nights later to 1st day at Westhampton Dragstrip on LI, fast foward to 1965 in new paint and lettering. Then 2009 pinstriper Larry Nesgro lettering it and the finished product.

Pat

Attached Files:

8. DSCF1123-1.JPG [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 16, 2018
    Hotrodmyk likes this.
  9. fyrboy

fyrboy

All that was left of lettering when I bought Norfolk, NB's '63 GMC/Christopher ambulance. Johnny Carson's boyhood home.
    [​IMG]

10. squirrel

squirrel

the new squirrel door

door.jpg

AHotRod likes this.
  11. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

The Bigbossman called in saturday to do a bit more lettering on my Willys, we were ready for him though, we armed ourselves with danish pastrys [​IMG]

He originally was only going to add the gas class prefix on the roof but his brushes just kept going !!!

Heres a few pics and video of Ian at work, Ian gives a few tips in the videos, worth warching.

Apparently Asda cans make the best mixing pots [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. lonestar395

lonestar395
    from Australia

Got the gold leaf and brushwork down...clear coat next

[​IMG]

DBruce likes this.
  13. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Brian Chollett came out today and did some lettering on the dragster hauler, Said he'd be back out when it cures to scuf it down alittle ,,, Tim Jones 101_8893.jpg 101_8918.jpg 101_8914.jpg

14. the DutchDude

the DutchDude

15. Charlie Tyre did the lettering on Gene's Moonlighter & Greg's shop truck. HRP

16. DutchDude-
    That Chevelle KICKS ASS! Nice work, I love what you've done!

17. Any of you painters ever use anything besides sign paint? I can't get 1 Shot in my city. No one carries it. I've been doing a little painting and ran out of a couple colors, so I went down to the True Value Hardware and picked up some smalls of XO Rust enamel. It's True Values house brand of rustoleum. I don't know how well it will wear or last, but I'll be damn if it doesn't flow better than my 1 Shot and they have some cool colors. 4.99 a half pint too.

v8 garage likes this.
  18. Patrick46

Patrick46

Mr. Ratford46...
    I find it hard to believe that you can't find 1-Shot in Roanoke VA, 'cause that's a good size town. I live in a small coastal town in Oregon, and I've got 2 places here that sell it...you just hafta find the right place.
    Have you tried a Sign supply warehouse?? How 'bout an automotive paint store?? That you should definately have in your city.
    If those don't work, then go to a sign shop. (not a "Quickie Sign" shop, as they'll only use vinyl.) Find a good old fashioned sign painter, and ask if you can buy small ammounts of basic colours from him. (We don't bite, ya know!) :D
    Actually...I think you may be suprised at how much he'll be willing to share with you, as far as knowledge, supply sources, and tricks of the trade.

Give those a try, and if you can't find someone, let me know...I've got leads.

19. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

We added a little more to the tailgate of the wagon. I had to get a Tetanus shot while I was working on it:)
    DSCN5004.jpg

AHotRod, Hotrodmyk and Patrick46 like this.
  20. crook

crook
    from Winder,Ga

Some quarters I lettered on a '55 gasser last week.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Attached Files:

21. Thanks Patrick46. The last auto paint store that carried here stopped a few years ago. Everything has gone vinyl. I ordered some from Rayco. Seemed to be a decent price. I found that the XO black and white don't flow well. Colors do well though. As far as I can determine, we have 2 strippers and no real hand letterers in this city of 100,000, and I've been checking things out for years.

v8 garage likes this.
  22. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

does this 55 belong to the same guy who owns "The Old Dirty Bastard"

23. crook

crook
    from Winder,Ga

Yup, that's him. You know him?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!