Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features The Jewel... Again...

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Ryan, Sep 29, 2014.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Ryan submitted a new blog post:

The Jewel... Again...

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

Last edited: Sep 29, 2014
  2. Great story and fabulous car, Ryan. Saw it in person at Pimlico and it is in fact, a "Jewel".

3. draider

draider
    from Texas

You could do a feature on The Jewel every month and I'd never get tired of seeing it.

4. BLAKE

BLAKE

Who has two thumbs and pretty much rules...?

[​IMG]

5. Anderson

Anderson

It's been a favorite of mine for a long time and I'm really glad to see it reach its full potential.

6. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Me?

@beatnikontinental

7. BLAKE

BLAKE

Ooo... this is awkward...

TexasSpeed likes this.
  8. I sometimes think some cars have a soul that refuses to give in and die...........and that they seek out an owner(s) that will make the sacrifices in time, effort, and other resources to keep them alive and even prosper. This seems like such a car.....................well done guys!

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  9. That car rules. Travis does some pretty wicked paint jobs!

10. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

@Ryan

"This is something I haven’t done a lot of in the past and won’t be doing much of in the future – featuring a car that has already had it’s day in publication."

I really hope you reconsider this statement...with the ever shrinking amount of good publications, you have an opportunity to use the Hamb to fill the void. It's never a bad thing to see a car in 2 different magazines or on here...you usually will get different info on the build/builder and a different photographer. so you get to see the car again but in a different way. I honestly wish you would do more car features on current builds, like you have been doing with old magazine features. The hamb has a global reach, and not all publications are easy to get your hands on, so its nice that you can access that information here.

Nice write up and great pics by the way.

falcongeorge likes this.
  11. El Jefe

El Jefe
    Alliance Member

New Image.JPG The Jewel didn't miss a beat all the way from Texas to Baltimore. We had a great time on the drive up. Did I mention the Jewel rescued me after my '41 Merc blew a rear main seal and we abandoned it and I hopped in the Jewel. It was pretty cool being a passenger on this one. Note: Brian did leave the Jewel in Maryland as we will return toward the end of October (w/ the '41 Merc after a few small repairs) and both, along w/ Lee Pratt's 55 Nomad will be on display at the Jalopyrama before we all caravan back to Texas. So for you East Coasters, there will another opportunity to see this sedan in all her glory on Oct 25 in Annapolis.

Malcolm likes this.
  12. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

LOVE this car! Cant see too many photos of this one!! Bobbed fenders, merc caps, great color, just right chop, lotsa white diamond tuck, man, whats not to like?? Never noticed the gold piping before. Nice.

13. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

Thanks for the expanded coverage, Ryan, and for the " rest of the story" of which I knew only in bits and pieces.

14. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Fell in Love with that car when Reggie was working on.despite it's inherent problems at the time and Reggie fixing all the Blunders. it stood out in it's look.
    Phil Cato…. your interior work is Blissful.Wish you were closer.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  15. blackjack21

blackjack21
    from Denver, CO

Beautiful car, amazing story… Thanks for sharing. BTW, @Ryan what camera did you use to shoot these photos?

16. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

17. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Leica M9 with a 35mm summilux by hand and a Sony A7 with a 90mm Summarit on a tripod... I also shot it with a M2 using CineStill film and I liked the shots a lot, but they were too "artsy" for this feature. I really wanted to capture the true color of the car in the photos and while I'm not quite good enough to get it 100%, the film stuff was just too far from reality.

In any case, here is a film sample:

film1.jpg

draider, TexasSpeed and BLAKE like this.
  18. MattStrube

MattStrube

Bad Ass

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

19. Earley

Earley
    from NYC

Good photos, great story. I love this line:

I remember that Aces & Eights mess. Wasn't there a "fire" and didn't the H.A.M.B. even raise money for the guy? Did anyone ever catch him?

20. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I don't remember a fire or a benefit... I do know he was brought to justice, but I don't know the details.

21. BLAKE

BLAKE

I seem to remember a burglary... tools stolen, etc.

22. blackjack21

blackjack21
    from Denver, CO

Wow. That film shot looks amazing. Thanks for getting back to me. They looked very clear and clean, I kinda assumed a Leica was behind the work. Much appreciated!

23. Kail

Kail
    from Austin, TX

This car touched a lot of people and brought many together, I learned a bit of Austin history and became better friends with a few people because of it. Glad to have been a part of the build.

beatnikontinental likes this.
  24. don daddyo

don daddyo

That is the way kool ,I want my 29 roadster done ...

25. catdad49

catdad49

Xcellant!! Stories like this should be shared.....and often. Thanks

26. Mmmmm.....I like film....

27. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Picture #6 in scrolling order on the post is my favorite hue. Yeah, there is an extra "something" to this car and I almost wish it wasn't put into words, but I really admire the journey everyone took on it. All of this stuff, traditional, race, restoration, and perhaps many other venues most of us ignore, are always more than the sum of their parts or the shine on their body panels. Clearly not all of them but you can usually "see it" without looking. Thanks for the feature.

28. Spooky Two

Spooky Two
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Such a GREAT car... and such a GREAT story... and such GREAT pictures!!!

Ryan, with this kind of "blog" you make it impossible not to be a dues paid ALLIANCE MEMBER!

29. Jkustom

Jkustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@Ryan Thanks man, I'm falling more in love with this car every time I see it. Also digging the car features lately! Something about reading and seeing pics here that seems more.. tangible, for lack of a better word than some of the mags that are still around. I guess you're just pretty good at this stuff.