Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1957 pink cadillac

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by crustyz, Sep 28, 2014.

1. crustyz

crustyz
    from seattle

Well, been a few months of hard work but I'll finally have this thing back on the road after I Pulled out of a field in seattle this may. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. Katuna

Katuna
    from Clovis,Ca.

Really nice, ambitious build. Any "before" pics?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

3. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

I pulled a pink (Dusty Rose Metallic) '57 Coupe DeVille out of a field in Oklahoma in 1984, got it running (which took less than an hour) and drove it for 8 years before selling it to a good friend. It was a great cruiser, but I wanted a Nomad more.

4. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Cool - looks great

5. motoandy

motoandy
    from MB, SC

Love it. Cool era for sure.

6. randy

randy

Great looking car & nice looking work. One thing...the world has seen enough '59 Cadillac taillights. Seriously, they show 0% creativity & aren't the greatest looking taillight anyway. '56 olds might work or you could probably make some '57 Cadillac taillights fit too;)

gotta56forme likes this.
  7. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

It don't get any better than Cadillac parts on a Cadillac...and maybe the owner didn't want to do any bodywork on the car...think...??? I like them and I'd bet the owner likes those '59's there too...those taillights are icons, just like '57 Chevys and '32 Fords...nice looking '57...!!!

R-

8. lewk

lewk
    from Mt

That's a nice looking car. I dig the Star Wires. Usually I agree on the too many '59 Cad taillights in the world comment, but this is a Cadillac and they look good there.

9. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Looks like the OP did a good job with his lights. There's a reason they're so popular. Especially when used on a......CADILLAC.

10. I don't like caddy lights, but they fit perfect on this. So i'd leave it.

As for the title of the thread, i expected a pink caddy but didn't expect it to be bagged and looking awesome!

11. crustyz

crustyz
    from seattle

12. crustyz

crustyz
    from seattle

I posted some pictures of the cadillac and my plans for it the as soon as i started working on it in may, in typical HAMB fashion i was ripped apart and the thread was locked. the 59 tailights are what i had and frenching them in 2'' made them look decent enough to roll for now, not married to them and not final in any way. Cadillac was built in less than 4 months for less than 4 grand. more pics of the build coming up

13. Fender1325

Fender1325

Jeeez, from a field to that in 4 months and 4 grand. Curious what you did with the gas tank Im assuming you replaced or sealed it. Whered you buy parts?

14. randy

randy

They, like a lot of other chachkies that get bolted on old cars, are popular (i.e. used often) because they are available and cheap. Speedway sells completes for $35 and there are KKKKKustom installation kits aplenty for anyone with a hole saw and a buzz box. Like most things that become trendy they are not a good way to distinguish your car (yes, even a cadillac) from the rest.

If you're going to do something "custom," is it really "custom" if it looks like the rest of the "customs?"

crustyz, your pink '57 is a pretty car & I wouldn't kick it out of bed even with those taillights. I know all about getting stuff rolling with parts you have laying around. I dig the wires on it. Post more pics when you get a chance...[/QUOTE]

15. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

[/QUOTE]

Yea, I get it now. Like.... WWW tires, spotlights, door knobs for grill inserts, Packard tail lights on a '53 Chevy, Vette teeth in a '53 Chevy grill, Frenched head lights and air bags? Like that "cliché" shit?:rolleyes:

And what's a "chachkies"? That word doesn't even exist, according to Webster's.o_O

16. randy

randy

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=chachkies

Good start on that list so far! You might, when you have a minute, add '59 Cadillac taillights, '57 Mercury Turnpike cruiser skirts and '57 Cadillac hubcaps. I'm serious...

17. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Good start on that list so far! You might, when you have a minute, add '59 Cadillac taillights, '57 Mercury Turnpike cruiser skirts and '57 Cadillac hubcaps. I'm serious...[/QUOTE]

I am too. My point was, it's ALL been done. And the reason is because they work and look good, when done well. The OP did it very well.. There's no harm in using a tried and true formula. Some things, whether "cliché" or not, have become acceptable standards. At that point, the only real gripe would be execution and placement.

18. randy

randy

Agreed. I guess I'm getting the picture that maybe "customs" aren't my thing anymore because they are SO formulaic and not really custom. When I had new eyes, it all looked pretty neat. Now, I really only appreciate fit & finish. Occasionally, I'll get my panties in a wad over something that is really well designed inside & out, front to back, top to bottom like Hettfield's "Black Pearl", but in general it all sorta looks like fuzzy dice to me these days...

19. crustyz

crustyz
    from seattle

bought a 1978 cadillac for parts and built the rest
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. crustyz

crustyz
    from seattle

hahahaha,,, im no hettfield just a mid 20's punk kid with hardly two nickles to rub together.. I appreciate your thoughts and style though, I wouldn't even try compete with the 'black pearl" on an Arby's salary.

21. FlynBrian

FlynBrian

Great job, that is one Cool Cad! Like the pic with knockout list on the fender, I like the way you did 59 Cad bullet tails, Very Nice Ride!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

22. randy

randy

Shit, me either. I just try to build super clean cars because I know a "black pearl" takes time, money, tools and skills I don't have.

I love the bed in the shop...makes so much sense...work 20 hours a day, sleep for 4. That drill gets old quick, but the progress is addicting. Keep up the good work!

23. lahti35

lahti35

Nice ride! First thing that pops into my head when people say "pink cadillac" is "dusty rose"! My grandfather had one, always thought the hidden gas cap was so cool!

24. matthew mcglothin

matthew mcglothin

Bitchin caddy! Sits perfect! I wasn't ever a fan of pink, but I think my mind has changed.

25. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

"Punk kid", huh??? You exceed the abilities of some of the 'experts'. Open mind, great execution of parts
    (from a '78 Cad??!? Stretches the imagination to perceive anything from that era contributing to such a CLASSIC Semi Kustom as this Pink Caddy!)

I had a '57 Buick ragtop that I dropped, it was always garaged by the P.O., and the pink paint stayed.
    All the guys said, "Cool, for a 'pink car'..." :eek:

Your Caddy is stunning.