Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1929 Chrysler 3/W Coupe

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 340 Power, Sep 27, 2014.

1. 340 Power

340 Power
    from NW PA

It began 2 weeks ago sending a check to a fellow member. These coupes are almost extinct. When I saw it I knew it was going to be a long hard drawn out build, unlike the 6 month builds I am used to. We got it home this morning after a 21 hour turnaround picking it up.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Attached Files:

2. One more saved mopar.Great.

turboroadster likes this.
  3. 340 Power

340 Power
    from NW PA

I am thinking of a Traditional Hot Rod. I am hopeful all the Mopar guys out there will want to inject there wisdom on this build from time to time.

I have already decided a 55 Desoto 291 Hemi is to be what brings this car to life. I am however undecided what is to be done with the frontend suspension.

4. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

Glad you got home in good shape and it was great meeting you and your son! Gary:)

5. 340 Power

340 Power
    from NW PA

It was also nice to meet you Gary:) We drove straight through and were home at 5:30 am.

6. Man, I always loved the round tube axles that eras Chrysler had. A lot of them have been installed on rods in lieu of dropped I beams. There is a guy on here now....that has been getting one smoothed and polished for chrome....after anothert HAMBr dropped it for him. Looks awesome. I'll have to thread search.......unless someone else beats me to it.
    Congratulations on your purchase, and good luck on your coming endeavors.

7. MoparFinman

MoparFinman
    from Okla

Looks like a solid car to start with. I was looking at my 31 Plymouth today thinking,man there's a lot of rust there in those quarters!! Good luck!!

8. 340 Power

340 Power
    from NW PA

I wish it was as solid as it looks. someone I think, was trying to turn it into a race car. The back of the car has been all tinned over and slightly narrowed by mistake or poor craftsmanship. The entire back will be a huge challenge. One I am looking forward to :)

9. 340 Power

340 Power
    from NW PA

I found an old thread about the old tube axles. Looks like something that may work for me.

10. [​IMG]
    1928 Chrysler with the factory tube axle.

Someone will post the dropped tube that is being polished for chrome on the HAMB. Wish I could remember what it is under. Think the guy who dropped it is 276V8 or 296V8 or a name close....but the polishing guy is a gem. I don't remember his name at all, unfortunately. Real stickler for detail. Both do some pretty work. I apologize for not being better in specifics.

11. 117harv likes this.
  12. ezdusit

ezdusit

I love your Chrysler coupe. Thanks for saving another Mopar. I recently found a tubular Mopar axle on Epay and scored it for less than $200. I was thrilled to find one. It's going under my '32 Plymouth roadster. I've looked a long time. Please keep posting the progress on your build.

13. If you are having trouble finding parts and information, it is because you have a 1928 Dodge Brothers Standard Six or Fast Four and NOT a 1929 Chrysler. If you need more information about them, you can email me at [email protected]

The third photo is a 1929 Chrysler coupe....notice the lower cowl vents on the Chrysler. The Dodge has the single vent on top of the cowl. Notice the belt molding on the Chrysler which goes to the edge of the firewall. The Dodge molding ends just under the 'A' pillar. Those are only the obvious differences. There are a lot more.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 28, 2014
    HEMI32 likes this.
  14. Here is a 1928 Standard Six. Look closely at the windshield area....

Attached Files:

15. Just as an aside....where to find the serial number....

Attached Files:

16. If there is more verification needed, you can go here to the Dodge Brothers guys and they will probably tell you the same thing.
    http://forums.aaca.org/f143/

17. Here is the 1929 Chrysler I owned....ain't pretty, but some start that way....

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  18. ........nice.....and if that is your yard and building....times 2. How long ago did you have it? Very complete car, looks like.

19. That is actually the guy's place who owned it after I sold it to a friend. I owned it for about 12 years, but I have two 1931 Dodges I have been working on. I sold it to a buddy who told me that he had added onto his garage just for that roadster. He then sold it.
    Sorry to hijack this thread. Just trying to help the original poster identify his coupe. Here is what my Chrysler looked like when I got it.

Attached Files:

20. 340 Power

340 Power
    from NW PA

It's been a busy day. I spent the day at my brothers house helping with the paint on a classic Dodge Dart GT. All the while being taken to school on Dodge, and Chrysler. 31 Dodger you have no need to apologise for taking over this thread. Your extensive knowledge on these cars is welcome here anytime :)

You have convinced me that this car is indeed a 28 Dodge Brothers. For whatever reason it's titled a Chrysler I cannot explain. Is that a dilemma? who knows....

21. MoparFinman

MoparFinman
    from Okla

When you say the vin. number is on the frame below fender are you saying that the fender needs to come off to view this number? and id this on all Chrysler Products(Including Desoto and Ply.)

22. Usually on the outer frame rail above the rear spring shackle mount. You will need a wire brush and be gentle.

23. 340 Power

340 Power
    from NW PA

I took a quick look for mine tonight and couldn't see it but I didn't get the wire brush out either. the other location is missing on this car. Having a lot of sheetmetal work, I will look more after we tie whats left of the body together before we lift it off the frame.

24. Does the title have a number on it? If so, does it match ANY number on the car? I'm curious as to how the guy before you titled it and why as a 1929 Chrysler.

25. Some of the other Chrysler products had the VIN on the dashboard as what is called a FEDCO numbering tag. Sometimes they are oval shaped, sometimes rectangular. Very hard to read some of the numbers and letters on them when corroded. See photos. Some of the different years had the numbers in different places on the frame sides.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 28, 2014
  26. 340 Power

340 Power
    from NW PA

There is nothing like any if those on the car. Below is the dash cluster.

Attached Files:

27. 340 Power

340 Power
    from NW PA

I can only assume with some states laws reguarding titles, that someone at some point in time replaced a lost title and called it a Chrysler instead of Dodge. I will look on the title tonight for the actual vin#. Then as well on the car.

28. notaford1

notaford1
    from webster ny

My 29 Dodge DA has the number stamped on the passenger side front frame near the rear spring perch location ..rather large number. Is that even the original frame with the car ..looks like a poor fit towards the rear.

29. 340 Power

340 Power
    from NW PA

body is just sitting there. its not back where it belongs but who knows if its the right frame. it does have the same contour as the floor ( whats left of it ). I found this number on driver side frame at the cowell. 09512LD576P. After a 12.5 hour shift thats all I had time to do. On a brighter note there is actually quite a bit of quarter panel steel under all the patching on the back.

30. Fedcospeed

Fedcospeed

Well looks like I am SOL selling you the 29 Chrysler stuff.Maybe someone else will want them when I get them dug out.Saved me a little time this week and most important...You found out what it really is!!Good luck with it and we would like to see a build thread!! Jim f