Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Noooooooooo!!!! Can't let this happen!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Barsteel, Sep 28, 2014.

1. Barsteel

Barsteel
    from Monroe, CT

A few days ago, I decided to put my '53 Chevy 1/2 ton 5 window for sale on everyone's favorite auction site. I don't HAVE to sell the truck, but I found something else that I want more, so I decided to see if there was any interest.

So I get a PM through Ebay from some guy that says "I'm definitely interested in your truck, call me!".

So call him I did.

We get to talking, and he starts asking about the mechanicals (they're perfect, truck is drive home), so I tell him that they're very good. Wanting to be honest, I emphasize to him that the paint is in very good condition, but not perfect. The truck was restored about 8 years ago, and it's picked up a few minor dings and chips. He says "I don't care about the paint...I hate blue, so I'm going to completely strip it, and clear coat the bare metal, then slam it to the ground.

WHAT? ARE YOU HIGH? THIS IS A 95% RESTORED TRUCK WITH A REBUILT 235, 5 SPD, OPEN REAR, a nice MOSTLY STOCK driver.

Yeah, I know...once you sell it the new owner can do with the vehicle as he or she pleases. But am I the only one who does NOT want to see a very nice, mostly original driver truck completely turn into what I would consider a trendy piece of sh*t?

Of course, he starts trying to beat me up on price, so I stuck to my reserve price, which is, let's say, full retail because I did not want this clown to own it.

Has anyone here ever NOT wanted to sell a vehicle to someone because it was going to be totally screwed up?

Or am I being a sentimental idiot?

For the record, I'm not heavily into customs...I like mostly original cars with a few minor custom tweaks and mechanical upgrades.

Chris

PS - here's a pic of the truck...

Attached Files:

2. missysdad1

missysdad1

If you sell it, the new owner gets all the rights - including the right to change it. If you don't want it changed, don't sell it. Life lesson #101.

It is sad, however, that most modified cars have a peak at some point in their lives, then get sold and go downhill thereafter. So many really great old hot rods and customs are just now being dredged back up from years of neglect at the hands of second, third, fourth owners.

That just seems to be how it works...not always, but altogether too often.

3. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

It seemed right to you, so you did the right thing. If you really needed to sell the truck you may have been less choosy. But you don't and as you said "once you sell it". I think you did right.

4. ol-nobull

ol-nobull

Hi. On ebay motors ALL vehicle sales are considered non binding and either the buyer or seller can refuse to complete the transaction for any reason. Hopefully you will find a better buyer. Using that buyers ebay name go to the bottom of any page & click on site map &in the center column is the link to blocked bidder list. Add their name there & you are done with them. Good luck, selling it. Jim

5. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Sentimental idiot, me too...But if you can get stupid money for it, well then its just a truck, right? Don't take the money, now just idiot..Me too.. Now the shit storm will start..

6. Barsteel

Barsteel
    from Monroe, CT

Seb - If the guy gave me my full asking price, yes, I would have let it go...but he didn't even want to give me my starting price, so I figured that I'd rather let it go to someone who wanted it as it was rather than someone who was going to tear it apart. If someone who didn't want to tear it apart offered me my starting price in cash, I'd take it...

Chris

7. joeycarpunk

joeycarpunk
    from MN,USA

I wouldn't block any sale if that's what you truly want to do is sell it and get your asking price. Once gone it would be the owners to do with as he pleases, why would you care it's not yours anymore. It would be a shame to undo nicely done work, but makes you wonder if the potential buyer hates blue why is he even bothering we are not talking about a rare truck here.

8. DC43

DC43

Hmmmmmmmm................

Here is my own personal take-
    If you want to sell your truck with "conditions" attached, (to a buyer whom appreciates the vehicles originality) then by all means, do so.
    Here is my slant on that............
    While looking for Our '34 Sedan, I wanted to find something that had already been "rodded", I.E., not "original", as personally, I'd rather leave a stock or original bodied car, for a restorer.
    Again, that is my personal opinion, as I won't ever knock someone for altering an "original" car, as it is their car, their choice.
    (I'll prolly get criticized for this, but so be it, I got big shoulders, and it don't bother me a bit.)

9. Barsteel

Barsteel
    from Monroe, CT

DC and others - I would never, and I don't think you really can, sell a car with "conditions". If they guy want to paint it Hello Kitty pink and put it a zebra striped interior, I have nothing to say about it after the car pulled out of my driveway.

My whole post was about not really wanting to sell it to someone who would ruin what I think is a very nice truck, and asking if anyone had ever felt that way.

Chris

10. If he didnt even come up to the opening price let alone the reserve there's no potential sale anyway. I don't understand ????

If you buy something from me, I couldn't care less what you do with it.

11. joeycarpunk

joeycarpunk
    from MN,USA

"I won't ever knock someone for altering an "original" car, as it is their car, their choice.
    (I'll prolly get criticized for this, but so be it, I got big shoulders, and it don't bother me a bit.)"

Being this is a hot rod, custom site for traditional "styled" modified vehicles I shouldn't think you would get much criticism. To the original poster you found something you want more, decide if you really want to sell and make a choice. Now if we were talking about a piece of rodding or custom history I would be more selective about who I was selling to perhaps.

12. Yeah, I'm with you. Maybe I'm sentimental or maybe I view old vehicles as a piece of art for which I am only the temporary custodian. Either way I sure hate to see some idiot fuck up a perfectly nice old vehicle, even if they do own it. If I knew they were going to do that ahead of time, I would also try to make sure that they don't have a chance to own it.

Hnstray and squirrel like this.
  13. joeycarpunk

joeycarpunk
    from MN,USA

Hello Kitty Pink, now that's funny. Unfortunately I have seen it done.

14. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

Nice truck but if you are serious about selling the truck, then doesn't matter what the buyer wants to do with it and changing the color is the very least "bad thing" to do the truck. After all, the truck no longer has the stock drivetrain anyways, so why bicker about the color. It's dumb.

15. philo426

philo426

Do not sell it to him.

16. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

People who lowball seem to always be the same people who want to utterly destroy a vehicle with their "cool" ideas. You did the right thing. A worthy buyer will come along and be glad to have your truck.

Hnstray likes this.
  17. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Know your minimum selling price and stick to it, one day or another a serious buyer will show up. I understand what sentimental idiot I can be myself from time to time, but you are right: If it doesn´t feel right, don´t sell it to that buyer.

Hnstray likes this.
  18. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

It wasn't the haggling that caused you to refuse the sale, it sounds like his modifications are what caused you to not deal on the price. If that's the case, I'm sorry, but it sounds like you did that to be just, well, ..... mean. Not the word I'm wanting to use, but politically correct. Maybe you should just keep the car, so it'll be safe. Are you going to screen future callers? How do you know he was going to ruin it? Have you seen this guys work? Again, why even care? Seems like a bogus deal to me.

People who sell something have no say in what the new owner does or doesn't do to it. Honestly, to refuse a sale for that reason is just stupid and self centered. Think I'm wrong? Try a search and find the 8 or 9 threads on guys who didn't get a car because the seller didn't want it turned into a Hot Rod. By the responses in this thread, it seems, like there's a double standard, when the shoe is on the other foot.

Oh, by the way, when my friends go to buy cars, they ALWAYS tell the owner they are going to restore it. Let's the seller sleep good at night. he he:p

Last edited: Sep 28, 2014
  19. Yes, I have not sold a vehicle to some clown that wants to rat rod it before. I have even bought a truck that I really did not need to own just to keep someone from ruining it. So I can empathize with you. Others probably disagree and I don't care.

Hnstray likes this.
  20. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

wow I think the truck is a pretty sharp ride , but if you sell it and the only taste the new owner has is in his mouth he can make it as ugly as he wants to even ugh R* T R* D it puke

21. Kind of like buying a business for the sole purpose of shutting it down or buying it just so that its not shut down.

Agree or disagree it doesn't matter, Buying and selling is purely a matter of choice

22. Yep

23. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I sold my 32 5 window Ford in 1998. I expected the new owner to change it and make it his car. here it is 16 years later and it still looks the same including the El Mirage dust in it. He installed a SBC to drive it on and off the trailer and shows it at local shows. But I knew I wanted to sell it and I guess that's kind of a complement?

24. Per e-bay rules, he's not supposed to contact you pertaining buying the truck outside of e-bay.
    Just tell him if he really wants the truck, bid on it! That's what an auction is all about.
    There's no way I'd sell it for any less than what you want for it.

Mick

patmanta likes this.
  25. When I sold my '34 with a muncie 4 speed, the owner said it was exactly the car he was looking for (old tech). First thing he did was pull the 4 speed and put in an automatic. What people say often isn't what they mean.

26. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

That's why I never tell the person my plans for the car, other then I'm going to "enjoy it"

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

27. praisethelowered

praisethelowered

I sold a '60s style car- a 1964 with flaked paint etc- nothin 50's about it - as it should be.
    It had perfect fitting starwires with thin whitewalls. . . maybe the last set you could get new because they stopped making them a few years ago right when they started to look cool again.

The next time I saw it it had 50's pinstriping and 50's style hubcaps . . . on a '64 . . . just dumb.
    It was a little sad but I actually like that better than having someone drive around in the car just as I built it. I'd rather have them show off their taste than take credit for my good taste.

Anyway - I think you should only sell the truck to someone who promises to get rid of the cheap 1980's stamped chome wheels that are on it. . . just saying.

Squablow likes this.
  28. Road Runner

Road Runner

Ebay is maybe not the right place to find just the right buyer who wants to keep it in mostly original condition.

Sign up on these forums and post your ad in these FREE classified sections with your preference to find a buyer who will keep it mostly original:
    http://www.stovebolt.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=cfrm&c=3&PHPSESSID= http://www.chevytalk.org/fusionbb/showforum.php?fid/177/
    http://vcca.org/forum/ubbthreads.php/forums/27/1/Chev_CARS_&_Trucks_-_F

Or post it on the HAMBs own Chevy truck social forum:
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/social-forums/a-d-truckers.116/

No Ebay fees and hassles and you have a far better chance to find the right buyer who will be grateful and keep your nice truck in its mostly original condition.

29. lewk

lewk
    from Mt

I can understand not wanting someone to undo your hard work but unless the car is low miles factory original or historically significant, all bets should be off with the new owner. If you don't want it changed, don't sell it.

Bubba1955 likes this.
  30. It is like trying to control things from the grave. You want to sell, He wants to buy. End of story! Whether it be a car, house, boat, anything. Problem people think they will live forever. If you want to make a hot rod out of a stocker, have at it. Maybe I sound cynical, but when you start getting up there in age you realize what is important in life. It is not things. So do what makes you happy. Tune in next Sunday for a new sermon.:rolleyes:

Bubba1955 and loudbang like this.