Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 46 Plymouth build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by daliant, Jun 3, 2012.

1. Work In Progress

Work In Progress

What is scary about the stock steering? My 49 tracks true at 70mph and no bump steer. Maybe you should take a closer look before you reengineer your suspension. To get all the "benefits" of a modern suspension I clipped my 47 but I'm not sure I needed to as much as I thought I did at the time. One benefit is it got the steering box out of the way.

Frankie47 likes this.
  2. Ulu

Ulu
    from CenCal

There is some bump steer, and it's not equal from right to left. Otherwise the steering is pretty direct. No relay rod or idler keeps the system tighter.

But it has kingpins, and that's a major handling issue right there. Doesn't take much to loosen them kingpin bushings up either IMO. One slightly loose kingpin is a handling headache for sure.

3. Dick 41

Dick 41

Very Nice! I ran a 47 Busn. Cpe. at Fremont Drags in the early 60s. Put a Chrysler Spitfire 6 in it. Only had to move the radiator to the front side of the original bracket. Everything else fit. Picture on my profile page.

Those mice eating your wires might have been a blessing. All the cloth wrapped, rubber coated wires in my 41 were cracking and failing from age....even without mice intervention.

Your project looks real good! Thanks again for the heads up on the rear end concern in mine.

4. daliant

daliant

small update:
    Added some pie crust slicks (9 x 28.5) from Towel city and some 4.56 gears w/suregrip in the 8 3/4, now she gets up and boogies for a worn out stock 318. I raised the stock front end up a little with some springs I snagged out of an old F150, it handles better with the stiffer springs but it's strictly a straight line car. Also put in a lakewood blowproof bellhousing and had a new drive shaft made, the one I had in it was just a wee bit too long. I might throw a coat of paint on the rear fenders as the primer is starting to wear off but for now my focus will be more twards performance rather than cosmetics. 100_1375.jpg 100_1374.jpg

kiwijeff likes this.
  5. n847

n847

Looks great. Be interested to see how those slicks hold up. I was looking at those.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

6. daliant

daliant

Thanks. So far so good with the slicks, they balanced out pretty easy, no shakes or vibrations. I'm happy with them. They're fun to drive on in the rain.

7. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Wow, just read the whole thread and subscribed. You have come a long way in a short time. Love your body mods and the stance is perfect. Well done!

8. fstfish66

fstfish66
    from eastern pa

9. great build! any pictures of your flathead distributor conversion?

10. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Cool coupe.. I like the way it sits...

11. daliant

daliant

12. The Bomber

The Bomber
    from mass.

These are good , solid street cars and comfortable. They look good as a street rod ,gasser, or what ever style you like.Plenty of room in the engine compartment too, ( less skinned knuckles, lol! )

13. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just picked this up fron Dayton Nevada , you sure remind me of me 30 years ago.....I like em solid for starters now..... image.jpg

14. Jersey Larry

Jersey Larry

Awesome build! keep up the good work

15. fstfish66

fstfish66
    from eastern pa

kool another 40 dodge coupe, what are your plans for it ???

16. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Gasser , straight axle , not sure on the drivetrain yet , had a 51 with the baby Hemi , did you build the car?

17. daliant

daliant

If I had to do it again I'd try to find a more solid car to start with but this one was local, complete and it ran and drove.
    One positive thing about building such a rusty northern car is that I was able to get rid of the bulge at the bottom of the doors found these '46-'48 mopars, I prefer the way the lower half of pre-war cars look minus the running boards.

18. daliant

daliant

Soon to be hemi powered, stay tuned....

slayer likes this.
  19. Hogman

Hogman
    from Dallas, TX

Good news! You got me curious now...

20. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Most impressive build, I like your car and I like your direction that you have chosen !
    MOPAR for today, MOPAR for tomorrow, MOPAR for ever!

21. daliant

daliant

Been slow going with the '46, my other "OT" cars have been the focus of my attention lately, Also the '46 has a head gasket that isn't sealing so now I can't drive it for very long before it's puking coolant.
    But... I've acquired a '57 341 DeSoto hemi for it that is "buildable" so when the time comes that will be the new powerplant.