Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical '58-'60 T-bird and Galaxy steering wheels the same?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by falcongeorge, Aug 6, 2014.

1. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Is the only difference between the '58-'60 galaxy and t-bird steering wheels the horn ring, or is the wheel itself different? I have been trying to suss this out looking at internet photos, inconclusive.

2. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Gonna give this a bump...wheres all the squarebird guys?

3. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Bump for the evening crowd.

4. I don't know about the 58 or 59, but the 1960 Galaxie wheel was totally different.

5. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Ok, thanks guys! '58-'60 Tbird wheels are the same AFAIK, so thats a no.

6. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

They look to be similar to a 56 merc as with the column.

7. Uhhh...no, they're nowhere near the same. Look at the previous post: the one with just the horn ring is for a full-size car '58-'59, and as previously noted the '60 wheel, especially the Galaxie one versus Fairlane, is radically different; the complete wheel shown is for a '58-'59-'60. Full-size wheel needs larger center for ring to snap/turn into. Full-size '57-'59 needs the larger hub behind the wheel to conceal the back side of the steering wheel and give a place for the exposed shifter tube to go above the steering column tube, which conceals just he steering wheel shaft; the '58-'60 T-bird uses a concealed shifter tube that goes over the steering wheel shaft, and has trim to conceal the turn signal switch as well as show the gear indicator on AT-equipped cars. The T-bird column is similar to mid-'50s Mercury columns; as noted above, '56 Merc with 3-spoke wheel would be comparable.

I've never really liked the exposed shifter tube on pre-'63 Fords versus the concealed tube columns used in Mercs; in fact, if I can manage to hang on to my '55 Victoria, I want to treat it to a cut-down '55 Merc column and clean up that part of the interior, then do something about the round bezels/controls and go more rectangular a'la '54 Ford/'55-'56 T-bird, but that may be another car, another time.

8. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Yup, '56 merc wheel looks the same to my eye. Do you think a '58/'60 T-bird horn ring would fit on the merc wheel? Looks like it, doesnt it?
    This wheel is one year only in the merc, isn't it? The '57 wheel is different.
    405153A-29.jpg

9. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

The 58 to 60 birds also used 55 heater controls,yes it was a one year only wheel in the merc.

10. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Thanks guys, broadens the hunt a little bit anyway.

11. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Ok, further to this, I got this for $35 on evilbay, it was listed as Edsel, but I have had trouble finding a photo of an Edsel with this wheel in it. Sure looks the same as the T-bird and '56 Merc wheel to me. Anyone know if this really is Edsel, or was it just listed incorrectly?

Its in damn good shape, just a few minor cracks that will be easy to fill. Add a reproduction horn ring from MAC's, some pearl white and a bullet in the center, and Bobs yer uncle...

edsel wheel.jpg

12. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Looked at a ton of Edsel pics, finally found one, '58 Ranger, so you can add that to the list of cars that had this wheel.
    ranger%20sedan%20interior1%20(2).jpg

13. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Never knew a Edsel had the wheel too but does not suprise me and I think the 58 to 60 Lincolns might have used that column too so it could also have the same wheel.

14. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Long shot here, does anyone have an exploded view of the column/horn mechanism they can post, or pertinant pages from the shop manual? The reason I ask, I'm not using this in a T-bird (as most have probably guessed by now) this is going in my '39 with a fabbed column jacket, and I am going to have to fab/piece together a functioning horn mechanism as well. I have a pretty good idea how it all has to go together, insulated triangular 3-bolt contact plate with a spring on top, horn ring on top of the spring, horn ring makes contact with the plate, HONK HONK! :D but an exploded view of the original set-up would help me suss it out easier. Yes, it would much easier to just use a moon wheel or my '57 Ford wheel, but I want the T-bird wheel, and well, you know the rest...

15. froghawk

froghawk

I think it was only the manual shift and non-"Teletouch" (no push buttons) automatic trans '58 Edsels that used that wheel.

16. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

You are correct. I looked at a TON of Edsel interior photos before I found that, 95% of them had the ugly-assed pushbutton deal.

17. Nope , the 58 Lincoln wheel is very different again... Screen Shot 2014-09-26 at 4.45.29 PM.png

18. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC